Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

Travel Ad Causes Record Complaints!

8 posts in this topic

You can’t get away from adverts, and if a program generates high numbers of viewers you can almost guarantee an ad break every 10 minutes.  But have you ever been so offended by what you have seen that you have complained?

The reason I ask is a controversial Travel TV and cinema advert from booking.com is the second most complained about of all time!  The reason being viewers claimed was offensive and encouraged children to swear because it used 'booking' instead of a swear word.

At over 2000 complaints this has not been upheld and can still be seen.

Most of us watch programs on demanded now, skip the adverts on You Tube so we don’t have to watch numerous repeats for sofas and the cheapest supermarkets.  So what makes for a good advert, I loved the Cadbury one with the Gorilla playing the drums, even P&Os latest offering with Rob Brydon made me smile.

Other than when they are on, what has offended you in an advertisement…

You can’t get away from adverts, and if a program generates high numbers of viewers you can almost guarantee an ad break every 10 minutes.  But have you ever been so offended by what you have seen that you have complained?

The reason I ask is a controversial Travel TV and cinema advert from booking.com is the second most complained about of all time!  The reason being viewers claimed was offensive and encouraged children to swear because it used 'booking' instead of a swear word.

At over 2000 complaints this has not been upheld and can still be seen.

Most of us watch programs on demanded now, skip the adverts on You Tube so we don’t have to watch numerous repeats for sofas and the cheapest supermarkets.  So what makes for a good advert, I loved the Cadbury one with the Gorilla playing the drums, even P&Os latest offering with Rob Brydon made me smile.

Other than when they are on, what has offended you in an advertisement…

I can't help you here Reversong.

On a cruising note though I did love that sad tale of the abused teddybear in the Thomson advert.

But I wasn't fooled into booking: far too long in the tooth.

Hi,

I too found the booking.com advert unsuitable, in fact I don't know how they got away with it in the first place. As for ones I like, I like the Joan Collins add for Snickers, tickles me every time!

GiGi

RiverSong likes this

It has to be Aldi adverts, whoever has dreamt up these has to be commended, definitely how to highlight your own product over the more expensive rival. I would echo the thoughts about the latest P&O advert as possibly the best they have produced.

I didn't like the holiday advert or the one for the 'fun' car.  Sadly these are but two examples of the degenerate world we now live in.  I'm not a prude but it seems that there are hardly any boundaries or standards any more.  Even if people complain it appears no notice is taken of them anyway.  Freedom of speech?  This is what happens when people stretch things as far as they can.