Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Icruise

Single Occupancy Balcony Cabins.

18 posts in this topic

I have been cruising for many years and several times a year. Why is it the only single cabins are inside ones? Or am I missing something? Does anyone know if any decent cruise ships have balcony cabins without me paying almost twice the price?

The problem with single cabins is they are 'compact and bijou' where you couldn't swing the proverbial cat. I've had a single cabin once and never again. (I always used to travel in a standard balcony cabin as a couple and after the one single cabin experience I shall only have a double balcony cabin as a solo traveller.)

The single supplement is certainly hefty. My experience is 100% supplement on Cunard and P&O - and - you could only get the Vantage prices - doubled of course. However, I believe that both Cunard and P&O are now going to allow solo travellers to get the Getaway prices - again, doubled of course.

cheers

Harvey

The problem with single cabins is they are 'compact and bijou' where you couldn't swing the proverbial cat. I've had a single cabin once and never again. (I always used to travel in a standard balcony cabin as a couple and after the one single cabin experience I shall only have a double balcony cabin as a solo traveller.)

The single supplement is certainly hefty. My experience is 100% supplement on Cunard and P&O - and - you could only get the Vantage prices - doubled of course. However, I believe that both Cunard and P&O are now going to allow solo travellers to get the Getaway prices - again, doubled of course.

cheers

Harvey

I can confirm this Harvey.

I recently booked a 'solo' trans Atlantic on board Queen Mary 2 for next month. I opted for the  'getaway' rate and the single supplement was a very acceptable 50%.

Now for that I get my own double-sized stateroom plus flight and transfers included.

No grumbles from me and think of all those lucky ladies who won't have to rely on a 'gentleman host' for a dance. ;)  ;)

I can confirm this Harvey.

I recently booked a 'solo' trans Atlantic on board Queen Mary 2 for next month. I opted for the  'getaway' rate and the single supplement was a very acceptable 50%.

Now for that I get my own double-sized stateroom plus flight and transfers included.

No grumbles from me and think of all those lucky ladies who won't have to rely on a 'gentleman host' for a dance. ;)  ;)

Thanks for that Richard. 50% solo supplement on Getaway fares is a great improvement. Very good value.

cheers

Harvey

PS    I've heard that you are a bit of a twinkle toes. The ladies are surely in for a treat B)

I can fully understand why people are aggrieved at having to pay as much as double for single occupancy, but there are always two ways of looking at things. On a cruise ship you are going on a journey, the ship is taking you there. If you take a taxi on a journey it will cost you the same as it would two people. I think the cruise companies should charge a price per Cabin and not per person, It would be the same but you would know from the start what the price is.

Hi  If you don't mind undertaking fly cruises I would definitely consider using Azamara cruise lines.  The single supplement changed is only 25% even on balcony accommodation and the cruise experience is far better than that most offered by many other operators.  The initial price is greater but the food and service is of a much higher quality and remember that drinks and tips are included in the boarding fare

Silversea have many cruises where the single supplement is only 25%.  It's worth enquiring if it's not shown on the website, since they will often offer it even if the cruise date is later than the latest cruise offered online.  They don't have inside cabins, and all accommodation is suite size.

CMV Cruises have many single cabins available on all their classic cruise ships at only a 25% supplement !

In May 2017 the ex P & O Cruises ' Arcadia '  joins the CMV Cruises  fleet as ' Colombus ' after a big refit in Singapore and will have 150 single cabins available !

The company still dry docks their three star classic cruise ships every year for refits etc and had both the  ' Marco Polo ' and the ' Magellan ' next to each other in drydock at the Damen shipyard in Amsterdam during December 2016.

Picture of the ' Columbus ' attached

columbus 1.jpg

Edited by Neil W.
Oldworldtraveller likes this

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:29 AM, 2torts said:

Fred Olsen currently have an offer of no single supplement on selected cruises & also free drinks.

Hi   I have taken advantage of this offer on a single cabin but the offer does not include drinks, you can select either the free drinks package or a zero single supplement.

Sadly, it is a current fact of my life that I am now a solo traveller: my wife having passed away last April.

Coping with her passing is bad enough, but then to realise that the whole world is now treating you differently is very perplexing. I won't go into details, but it isn't just cruise companies that do this.

I don't want to be limited to cruise companies that have offers, as most of them would not be cruises that I would have considered previously (although I may now have to consider them). I want to choose my cruise like we did before. However, that is not now possible.

So, having got beyond the "poor me" bit and still wanting to cruise what do you do?

My thoughts are that you have to be sensible and not just keep moaning about the injustice of it all. For the cruise companies it isn't about what you don't use being solo, it's more about what you don't spend, namely income streams. They are predicting a certain amount of income per cabin and if there is only one person in that cabin then, in their opinion, that cabin will not be generating as much income.

On cruises I have never held back, so my spending alone will probably be more than that of a spendthrift couple or family in the same cabin. However, that is about me and not their universal model.

Ok, so what is a reasonable supplement? 200% or more is unreasonable so don't book it. Anything less needs evaluating based on the cruise and how much you want to do it. Consider booking an outside cabin rather than a balcony, who needs a balcony on a transatlantic crossing. Later booking seems to be better, so be flexible and available for a very late offer.

If you are fortunate, as I am, to be able to pay more, albeit still unwilling, then you just have to bite the bullet.

RayO

Edited by RayO
forgot something
pennbank and Jenjen like this

Hi RayO, I am in a similar position to yourself, I lost my wife last October and we had cruised for many years as a couple, in fact when she became poorly we had 4 cruises booked which all had to be cancelled.

Even when we cruised as a couple I always felt that Singles were getting a rough deal, now I know how rough it is.

Though I would love to go on a cruise I still cannot bring myself to pay the inflated price that singles have to pay.  

Sadly, I don't believe it will get any better, so at the moment no cruises for me.

Bryn.

I have said many times that single cabin prices should be the same as half what two people pay for a double. They are a rip off and many times I have found the double cabin with a single supplement cheaper. Let's face it they don't want singles do they..

being cheeky why  dont Dbh and Ray meet up and see if you would like to go on a cruise together....

on one cruise I knew of two people who lived separate lives on board a ship but just shared a cabin and it worked well.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, The Pesky Pirate said:

why  dont Dbh and Ray meet up and see if you would like to go on a cruise together....

A reasonable suggestion for any reasonable person, but then again I am not reasonable. I would not share my space with anyone else.

I am going on a short cruise in the summer with a friend and we both agree that sharing is out of the question.

At present I cannot see myself booking a single cabin. To me it's just another reminder of being on your own and therefore being different.

RayO