Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
farmersgirl

Early Saver Rip Off

24 posts in this topic

We booked 4 adults and 3 children in two cabins in January for 25 July 8 nights and within 2 weeks in February the price of the Early Saver Fare was dropped to another Early Saver Fare which affected us by as much as £800. I wrote to Bolsover and P and O customer services as I felt disgusted that we were paying as much as a select fare but with no on board spend, drinks package or anything. They eventually wrote and offered 3 teddy bears for the grandchildren (one is 9 years old!). On the Oriana 24 June 2013 our friends booked E Saver Fares a year ahead for £1750 each for an inside cabin. They ended up near the bows and found out that others paid £599 for an inside to the N Cape and Fjords for 14 days. There was a passenger meeting on board where there was so much anger from the passengers it spoilt the holiday. When is P and O going to make it fair that those who book early get a real saving. Towards the cruise date I can understand dropping the fares to fill the cabins but several price structures like this is very upsetting. They should give priority to those who book early despite the type of fare. Have others been affected by this?The odd £100 you can understand but as it is a first cruise for my family you would think that they would encourage new cruisers not make them feel sick to the stomach.

The cruise company sells a holiday in a similar way that airlines sell flights, that is based on knowing what % of occupancy they need to have a sold at any time duration prior to the sail date, and adapting the price for slower/faster bookings as the situation requires. This type of marketing ensures full ships and ultimately lower average cruise prices, though of course it can be irritating for those who have not secured the best deals.

However, to get the best deals you have to be prepared to take the risk that the cruise you have pre-selected could go up in price, so realistically you have to very flexible in your choice of holiday. For many people flexibility is not possible and if your holiday group is large then flexibility could be zero. 

I  now book all late deals  the only reason I would book a year in advance is if I wanted a certain cabin and some of the extra benefits that  are on offer,  since my OH has had medical problems and hospital appointments etc this works out well for us as we can book last minute sometimes three weeks or less before the actual sail date.

Wheels  makes some good points in his post. CG

I stopped going with P & O because of falling standards but mainly because of this practice of offering better deals at a later date when I had booked on the 1st on sale date. I fully understand that they have to fill the ships so last minute bargains are available but not the practice of selling cheaper half way through the season

I can understand the fustration,  but why on earth would anyone attend a passenger meeting just to ruin thier own holiday?

Would you stand outside SCS and discuss the fact someone got a sofa cheaper than you, no.

So why unnecessarly fustrate yourself whilst on board, sort it when youre home.

willow_12, JH327, andreant and 6 others like this

I can understand the fustration,  but why on earth would anyone attend a passenger meeting just to ruin thier own holiday?

Would you stand outside SCS and discuss the fact someone got a sofa cheaper than you, no.

LOVE IT,

J-Dog likes this

well said dance floor demon! i completely agree, i was happy with that price when i booked so whats the issue? if i had the stones to wait until the last minute i would but the sad fact is i probably wouldnt be able to afford it all up front at least i pay a little each month and know eaxctly what im getting so i guess the few extra hundred i pay compared to the last minute fares is kind of like interest for having what i want and paying by direct debit! lol

This is so true, I many times see when a certain clothing item has come down in price or an offer has come on on a new car if you buy now but thats life im afraid, and when it comes to holidays once its booked i never ever look again at the price i just cant see the point. I think if you are happy with the price when you buy an item then thats that!

harley1 likes this

I agree with so many points made on this thread. This is a subject that has been doing the rounds since the dawn of time it seems. We're all in the same boat (pardon the pun) and we can all see the prices/deals laid out in front of us. You book early you get a guaranteed cabin and your choice of benefits, you book late you don't but you do often get a cheaper price, simple. It all comes down to what you prefer, whether you're flexible with dates etc but most of all I agree with the comments of why ruin your holiday?

Once I've booked something, I've booked it, end of. I spend my time looking forward to going, happy that when i booked I was satisfied with the price otherwise I would not have booked it. The last thing I'm going to do is torture myself with what ifs by looking if the price has gone down closer to the time, knowing full well it might have done. This applies to me even more so on board, never will I ask the question "how much have you paid?" to  a fellow passenger, not only is it a frustrating question, I also find it rude and inappropriate.

I'm on holiday to enjoy myself having booked and paid for it at a time and price that suited me. The only positive to meetings on board taking place to complain about such matters is that hopefully it will take place on a sea day and the pool areas will be quieter for me to relax with a drink in my hand and a smile on my face. You're on holiday, enjoy it!

couldn't agree more.

These fares are made to accomodate everyone.

Imagine how upset people would be if we all paid the same select fare at very high prices, Im sure many wouldnt be able to afford it.

So its not a case of people being greedy and snapping things up last minute, or P&O trying to purposely ruffle feathers, its to accomodate everybodies lifestyle and budget.

If you chose to ask other people what they paid as opposed to sitting back and enjoying your holiday, then more fiool you.

sammy sun and boomboomtime like this

I personally would never recommend booking early. The best deals are usually about 6 weeks prior to sailing. To give yourself a surprise, start saving the full cost when the prices are announced and then book as I suggested 6 weeks prior to sailing. That way you have the full amount ready to pay with enough left over to pay for your drinks. As I have said many times before, this is going to be a year to book late and get the deals. So much new tonnage is coming on line and the only way to sell it is with extras and low fares.

wheels36 likes this

when it comes to asking others what they have paid i just find it rude, i wouldnt dream of asking what someone had paid for something whether its a holiday or something else....rude

I think for families/teachers who need to travel in kids holidays (or anyone restricted to specific dates) it's always wise to book early to make sure you get what you want when you want to go, whilst taking advantage of the many freebies they give away i.e car park, free spendo etc.

For anyone in a position to travel without time restrictions I would certainly hang on until around one or two months before and see what bargains are to be had as they seem to be in abundance, that is of course of you don't mind not knowing what cabin/dining you'll be on. I wish i could be so flexible. I like a bargain!

My parents cruise and they prefer not to sail on big ships costing £500 for a holiday (Benidorm at sea, they say - and by the way i do sail on such cruises!). They do like to know they've made a good saving don't get me wrong, but the offer of freebies or 'allocated on arrival' doesn't appeal to them, they prefer to sail with like-minded people on smaller ships such as Seabourn or Azamara. So as the saying goes... we're all different (and have different budgets)!

J-Dog likes this

When I have tried booking a cruise as late as 6 weeks before I struggled to find much.

I was told that a late deal is considered around 12 weeks before and ive noticed the P&O deals are reduced even earlier sometimes.

You have to be responsible for your own decisions and stand by them.

It seems too many people go on holiday and forget they are there to enjoy themselves, nobody makes them book when they do.

Its great to read comments from everyone who agrees that we should pay our money and get on with our holiday.

Well said everyone smile.png

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Whilst I agree with the comments of Little Mermaid I am a little surprised that in the last 6 weeks there is a struggle to find much particularly as there are 62 cruise lines operating over 300 cruise ships.

I see that the OP is, so far, yet another one post wonder. Not hanging around to share their wisdom or experience with anyone else, just wanted to have a moan.

Curiously though waited 8 months from joining to making their one and only post, so far.

RayO

This situation is always going to happen.. it happens in life for example a dress from topshop will go down in price, you can't demand your money back after youve worn it a few times...
Also people just make prices up onboard to compete with one another.
Don't book the holiday if your not happy with the price at time of booking, if you feel it will come down risk it but don't complain if your wants and needs such as dining and cabin can not be met.

loz6 and sammy sun like this

I have chosen to take an early saver with P and O. I will accept the guaranteed cabin that I am given. I am not interested in knowing what others pay, not my business as I am satisfied with what I paid.

It reminds me of a holiday taken in Cyprus some years ago, dining with a very nice Welsh couple. The husband kept telling us what a fantastic deal he had got for his one week B&B, reluctant to tell him our "price", I finally crumpled under his relentlessness to inform him that we paid the same price for a fortnight half board that he had paid for a week.

we found ourselves sitting on our own for the rest of the week.

The moral of the storey is, keep quiet, you may not like the answer you get.