Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Pesky Pirate

Narpo Police Discount

22 posts in this topic

I hope that it is ok to post this:

Fred Olsen are apparently giving retired police officers who are a member of Narpo 10% discount on all cruises, including those already discounted. Regrettably you have to book direct with Fred Olsen and you have to quote reference NARPO10.

Hopefully other cruise lines may follow.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

This looks like an attempt to directly target people known to have work related pensions, and it is a risky strategy for Fred Olsen that looks not to have been thought through properly. 

This looks like an attempt to directly target people known to have work related pensions, and it is a risky strategy for Fred Olsen that looks not to have been thought through properly. 

The first bit I understand, but why is it risky?

1) It could alienate that section of the market that cannot access the discount (i.e. why should I subsidise a discount for retired police officers?). 

2) It sends a clear message that the Fred Olsen quoted price is not a bottom price.

3) It could make the cruise agent slightly less enthusiastic about Fred Olsen relative to other cruise lines.

1) It could alienate that section of the market that cannot access the discount (i.e. why should I subsidise a discount for retired police officers?). 

2) It sends a clear message that the Fred Olsen quoted price is not a bottom price.

3) It could make the cruise agent slightly less enthusiastic about Fred Olsen relative to other cruise lines.

agree with points 1 and 3 but why should prices be a bottom price? any company has to make profit

hturtle likes this

"agree with points 1 and 3 but why should prices be a bottom price? any company has to make profit"

It's absolutely essential that companies make a profit otherwise they wont be around for very long, but that's different from advertising that the price you are quoting has scope for reduction.

I must admit to some surprise at a couple of the above remarks or perhaps I should say naivety of available discounts. Firstly the American cruise lines have always given discounts to the armed forces and police officers in the same way as they give discounts for those in the 55+ age group. Carnival Corporation UK also give OBC to all persons who are serving or have served in the armed forces and can show proof as well as to members of the Defence Discount Service Club for armed service veterans. Royal Caribbean Group UK give booking discounts to members of the Defence Discount Service Club. Then there are Friends and Family discounts for friends and family of those who are employed by the cruise lines. Fred Olsen are only copying others in the same way as discounts are available from their competitors. Solent Richard even announced the DDS Club in a topic 10th November last year. NARPO do an excellent job of obtaining preferential rates for their members including travel insurance and long may it continue. Personally I don't think it is risky and will only alienate those that have an 'If I can't have it, no one else should' attitude. Life is too short to worry about what others get and I don't.

The Pesky Pirate and Embo like this

Hi Wheels36,

Your not, Fred Olsen are reducing their profit margin for them.

OWT

There is no fundamental difference in sales principle here to Tesco sticking a large sign in their entrance stating "10% discount for men with beards".

That is other than it is meant to be "low key", and not known to those outside of the favoured organisations.

I don't think it would have anything to do with pensions…. look how many places give discounts because you work for a particular company. It isn't really any different - not only that people or a certain age most probably have their own pensions anyways.

On the other hand police officers have been injured and killed on duty - not in the same way as the armed forces I agree - so IF they are able to get the odd perk then why not.

There is no fundamental difference in sales principle here to Tesco sticking a large sign in their entrance stating "10% discount for men with beards".

That is other than it is meant to be "low key", and not known to those outside of the favoured organisations.

If the men with beards formed a club and used the numbers in that club as a bargaining tool to secure an advantage with Tesco then there would probably be a similarity, but other than that, I'm not convinced.

There is no such thing as a 'bottom price', only a starting point. That's true whether you're bearded, in Narpo, or even if you just rock up off the street.

Hi Wheels36,

OWT

In fact there are bigger Fred Olsen discounts to be had by booking up to three consecutive cruises.

I must admit to some surprise at a couple of the above remarks or perhaps I should say naivety of available discounts. Firstly the American cruise lines have always given discounts to the armed forces and police officers in the same way as they give discounts for those in the 55+ age group. Carnival Corporation UK also give OBC to all persons who are serving or have served in the armed forces and can show proof as well as to members of the Defence Discount Service Club for armed service veterans. Royal Caribbean Group UK give booking discounts to members of the Defence Discount Service Club. Then there are Friends and Family discounts for friends and family of those who are employed by the cruise lines. Fred Olsen are only copying others in the same way as discounts are available from their competitors. Solent Richard even announced the DDS Club in a topic 10th November last year. NARPO do an excellent job of obtaining preferential rates for their members including travel insurance and long may it continue. Personally I don't think it is risky and will only alienate those that have an 'If I can't have it, no one else should' attitude. Life is too short to worry about what others get and I don't.

He certainly did and if Bolsover Cruise Club stick to their track record and procure,on my behalf,  my chosen cabin in tomorrow's P&O 2016/17 launch, I'll be claiming £125.00 OBC for myself and a similar amount or my wife for that particular cruise. 

I hope that it is ok to post this:

Fred Olsen are apparently giving retired police officers who are a member of Narpo 10% discount on all cruises, including those already discounted. Regrettably you have to book direct with Fred Olsen and you have to quote reference NARPO10.

Hopefully other cruise lines may follow.

Hi Wheels36,

OWT

Not quite OldWorldTraveller if the pesky Pirate's OP is correct.

Fred Olsen will be making a saving on the commission paid to Travel Agent's.

If you look on the home page of Narpo's website it was still on there yesterday if my opening post is in question. However I should say that each Police Force has their own reference. It was Narpo who secured the deal with Fred Olsen.

If you look on the home page of Narpo's website it was still on there yesterday if my opening post is in question. However I should say that each Police Force has their own reference. It was Narpo who secured the deal with Fred Olsen.

Not quite sure to whom your remark is aimed at Pesky Pirate?

It follows my last comment but I was not questioning your OP.

SR no one in particular, but with all the news items about the possibility of people getting ripped off by the wrong type of people as they are allowed to access their pension pots, I just wanted to say that it seems a legitimate deal that had been made between two groups and that ex-officers could check if necessary. 

Bearing in mind that most would have been notified anyway perhaps it was wrong of me to post this thread in the first place.

SR no one in particular, but with all the news items about the possibility of people getting ripped off by the wrong type of people as they are allowed to access their pension pots, I just wanted to say that it seems a legitimate deal that had been made between two groups and that ex-officers could check if necessary. 

Bearing in mind that most would have been notified anyway perhaps it was wrong of me to post this thread in the first place.

Oh I wouldn't worry about posting the thread Pesky Pirate, it certainly beats moaning all day long about Norwegian Cruise Line introducing charges for 'Room Service'.wink.png wink.png

I'm amazed that this subject has led to so much correspondence. However, as a retired fire officer I'm now beginning to feel like I too should be offered a discount. Problem here is that whilst I could claim that I and my colleagues have likewise put our lives on the line in the quest for public safety, where do we draw a line? On the one hand I ask myself why should we (members of the emergency services) expect a discount, whilst acknowledging that if you don't ask you don't get. Why, for instance, was my wife entitled to a discount at a well known high street restaurant chain when she worked for the NHS? She certainly didn't put her life on the line for others, but was, more likely, being rewarded for service to the public in an institution renowned for offering poor pay.

Now here's the rub: are refuse collectors sufficiently poorly paid to feel they should qualify? Care assistants? Teaching assistants? Is being poorly paid whilst in the service of the public the ruling criterion here? If not, then such discounts must surely be offered only to those people deemed to hold a special place in society such as police officers and members of the armed forces.

So I've gone full circle. Why not fire officers?

Land Ahoy likes this

Personally Embo I don't think it has anything to do with putting your life on the line but rather the bargaining power of large organisations. NARPO offers its members many benefits including holidays, parking at airports, travel, car and health insurances and much more. Perhaps the FBU should make some representations to see what they can achieve for their members and retired members. Many people are entitled to discounts for various reasons. As I said in my original post in the USA the emergency services, armed forces and 55+ group get discounts as a matter of course which is perhaps a reason why some people over 55 years of age book through USA based travel agents.

Members of the Civil service pensioners alliance can also get discounts or extra OBC with certain Carnival group cruises. They also offer brilliant travel insurance with no requirement to disclose existing medical conditions.My sister in law who used to work for the old GPO also found out that she could benefit from this too. So if you are a retired "public servant" of any kind - fire, dust bin operative, or NHS etc it would be worth checking if there is a retired " club" you can join that offers cruise discounts.