Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grandpa

Sun Beds

35 posts in this topic

completely agree it is so selfish we all pay to be on the ship so its unfair that people feel it is their right to prevent others from using sunbeds when they themselves are not using them.

When you go on P&O they say tey will take towels etc off the sunbed if not in use for any length of time, however I have never seen anyone move anything. They need to be stricter with this policy.

Only brainless/selfish people start fights as that's the only way they understand, the cruise ships need to take some action on this as the minority are spoilingi It for everyone perhaps put the price of cruises up??????????, now this will start a debate,

PhilipGordon likes this

Only ever had this problem on P&O where the staff refuse to do anything about it. On a T/A crossing there were even fights over sunbeds. John Heald introduced a system on Carnival ships where the towels etc. were removed by staff after a set period of time. This had the backing of nearly 100% of passengers. RCI and Celebrity do the same but it seems to happen very rarely. If it were enforced by all the cruise lines the problem would disappear over night as it has with Carnival.

If we are leaving a sun bed for more than 30 mins we remove all our towels etc and find a new sun bed when we need one, rarely have a problem with this, several ships we have been on remove items after a set length of time and put them on a table. If a sun bed is left empty with just a towel on it for an hour it should be freed up for someone else to use. 

Fudge likes this

I never use the sun beds. Too many ungainly sights wearing very little when they should be wearing a lot :wacko:  - painful on the eyes. :rolleyes:

I prefer an elegant sit down on a steamer chair on the promenade deck with a good book and a Pimms. :)

cheers

Harvey

crock1 likes this

A bit of an old chestnut this and one that has been doing the rounds on many forums.

I think the problem, if there really is one, has been grossly over exaggerated and have never personally experienced the so called SunBed Rage:  probably because I have cruised on ships that have plenty of sunbeds/ Deck space or, on occasions,  have been known to use the Grills Decks on Cunard, the Retreat on Azura and those decks reserved for suite guests on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

7920381086_885ea1c6a3_z.jpg

Are we sure this isn't actually a moan regarding 'positions' on deck.?

There are of course 'prime' positions on all cruise ships when it comes to sun bathing. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a passenger who chooses to get up early in order to pick a prime spot when other passengers prefer an extra couple of hours in their scratchers.

And come on, do passengers actually stand around for 30 minutes or more 'timing' sun beds that have personal items on but no bodies? Quite frankly I have better things to do with my time onboard. 

Now here is a risky piece of information. Solent Richard's favourite sun bed position on Azura. Never knowingly beaten to it...

10668529375_b6cff29451_z.jpg

Solent You are in my spot!! That was also our favourite place on Azura, both through the day and for a quiet drinkie in the evening!

Personally, I think the rule should be, any towels left on a sunbed unattended for any period of time get slung in the pool!

Sailaway and casper like this

Agree entirely, Sailaway and Popsicle. But also as a single traveller when I leave my chair/sunbed to go for a swim or use my cabin facilities, I have had people remove my towel and book despite only being absent 20 mins. Grrr.

Gill57 I don't think that 20 mins is an issue personally, it is the people who go off for lunch, or I've known people go to classes leaving sun beds for up to two hours. I would never dream of touching anyone else's belongings either. We always carry on looking for sun beds elsewhere. It's quite surprising really if you wander far and high enough up, you invariably find a excellent spot, more often it's quiet too!!

Watch who reserve the beds, it will be the same persons all cruise and return late pm. We always move our stuff when we have had enough but go out early on sea days and again late afternoon, as you all say there is too much going on, but a nice sunny balcony, kindle and glass of wine,..... Bliss

Sailaway likes this

Quite frankly I have better things to do than sit watching un-occupied sun beds with  a stop watch. 

I love this photograph I took last year on Oceania Nautica...

8739707970_168115cb10_z.jpg

Note the time on the clock.

DGH likes this

I was on the Oriana a few years ago and could not find a sunbed. However, there were several with towels on. My friend and I sat at the edge of the pool for almost an hour and noted that the occupants of 2 beds close by did not return. So, we folded their towels, placed them on the side and occupied the beds ourselves. An HOUR later, 2 ladies returned and sat at a table behind us and began complaining that they had only been away for less than 30 minutes. I put them right about their lack of time awareness and so they left the pool area  in an unhappy frame of mind.

There was also an incident on a Princess ship we were on when a fight broke out amongst 2 passengers regarding the saving of sunbeds. Ultimately, one said "Well, if I can't have the bed then neither can you" and threw the bed overboard. They were both kicked off the next day.

But the best was on the same ship when the evening before a sea day, a couple decided to reserve their sunbeds by taking them to their cabin. Unfortunately, they did not have the foresight to do it before retiring, they did it before dinner, so the cabin steward found the beds when doing the evening service. They were just given a warning.

You certainly meet all sorts of people on a cruise......

It all depends on the cruise line you sail with. Personally never had this trouble with RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, Fred Olsen, C&M or several others. Neither do you hear of this problem with Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal and other cruise lines. I have certainly experienced it with Thomson and in particular P&O where I have witnessed huge arguements over the problem. RCI and Celebrity have deck attendants who monitor "reserved" sunbeds and remove the towels etc. John Heald of Carnival Cruises last year asked passengers if they would like to see a monitored system and it was a resounding 'Yes'. This was brought in and they don't have a problem now. People knowing this will happen don't bother to do it unless they are new to the cruise line or persistant offenders. Why P&O and the other lines that suffer with this don't bring in such measures is really quite beyoned my comprehension as they would have the backing of the majority of passengers.

I think the habit of reserving sun beds is dreadful & nothing looks worse on a cruise ship than unoccupied beds with towels, books , bags , bottles of water etc strategically placed to prevent another passenger from daring to use it. How selfish is that !

I don't think it is exclusively a P&O problem though as I have witnessed it onboard Celebrity when a push & shove situation developed & Security were involved when a couple dared to sit in sun beds in a certain site that another couple regarded as 'theirs' .

Also have witnessed it onboard RCI on a Caribbean cruise .

If I was never to get a sun bed for a few hours I would never stoop to such dreadful practices.That being said I have ALWAYS been able to find a sun bed / lounger on promenade deck on whatever ship I have sailed on WITHOUT reserving.

There really is no need to!

Why do some brain dead people think that's it's ok to put towels on sun beds and not use them I just wish that the cruise lines enforce their so called rule ie to remove all items after a period of time??????

It's a global problem both on land and at sea. The only way I see to solve it is if we, the people who can't get a sunbed because of someone else's selfishness, are prepared to remove the towels (after a reasonable time) and suffer the possible onslaught of abuse.