Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oldworldtraveller

Loyalty Discussion

34 posts in this topic

I have started this thread so as not to hijack the thread on Single Cabins as Richard suggested.

Various opinions have been stated on that thread relating to cruise lines that some like and some don't. It also shows that figures can be manipulated in various ways to give various views. 

Out there on the seas are over 60 cruise lines operating over 300 ships. Most people have travelled with very few of them as they have for various reasons their own favourites. Some are very protective of their favourite cruise line and will not hear a word said against them despite the reality being something different. I believe the truth is that when it comes to food and service there is very little to differentiate the lines that are 3 star to those who proclaim themselves to be 4 star plus. Indeed if someone was to put on here say 6 pictures of food from 6 different lines could anyone tell which came from which line. I would suggest the answer is no as presentation is so similar. I have just spent 7 days on Boudicca and the food was excellent. 2 weeks ago I was on a 5 star plus ship and that to was excellent but more 'Nuvo Cuisine'. Next week I am on Anthem of the Seas where the food will again I am sure be good as was Splendour of the Seas last December. Yes you can get a meal that is not to your liking or is not hot enough or the steak not done to your personal liking but that does not make all the food on that ship bad. I don't judge a ship by its age but by its condition. Last year I was on an alleged  '5 star' ship that had quite a number of misted window panes that needed replacing but didn't see any on Marco Polo or Fred ships. 

Lets have some discussion on why people are loyal to various cruise lines and see if their opinion stands up to the scrutiny of others.

Anyone want to guess which ship these came from?

Its over to you.

post-1266-0-26351100-1429031744_thumb.png

post-1266-0-60601800-1429031763_thumb.png

Hi OWT

This topic could be illuminating I have certain lines I like and other I am less impressed with.  As general rule the more you pay the better the cruise (no surprise there).  I can't understand why some cruisers defend their favoured cruise line so much, particularly as they tend to have only tried a few lines and really don't have anything to compare them with.  I suppose they take any minor or major criticism of their preferred line as an attack on their tastes.   I like a traditional cruise environment I have sailed on some large vessels (QM2 being the largest) but I prefer smaller ships the service is more personal.  Bing and glitz doesn't impress me, I like understated elegance.   I was unaware that I needed a climbing wall or an ice rink etc. on a cruise ship but certain designers think that they are indispensable.   I have no problems with those who do and it will be informative to see why others explain why they have a blind loyalty to a particular line.

wheels36 and JOHN CAIN like this

My wife and I certainly do not follow a "blind loyalty" to any particular cruise line.  As I have stated on this forum before, we select our cruises based on itinerary in the main, as there are still places in the world we want to see.  There are certain lines with whom we would not travel based on either our knowledge, or perception of their product.  On the other hand, there are some lines that we look for first but, if they are not going where we want to be, we look elsewhere.

Our most recent cruise is an example of this process.  We were on board Azamara Journey in the Autumn of 2013 when we, together with our 2 friends and regular travelling companions, identified an itinerary taking in Vietnam (Halong Bay in particular) and Thailand in 2015.  Unfortunately, the timing of Azamara's offering was too close to New Year (and family commitments) for the ladies to be happy, so we booked a similar itinerary with Celebrity for March 2015.  My wife and I had experienced Celebrity before and were comfortable with them but our friends trusted our recommendation and we have all just returned from an excellent cruise.

Maybe our relatively open minded approach is a reflection of the fact that cruising is not our be all and end all when it comes to holidays.  It's a big wide world out there.

I have started this thread so as not to hijack the thread on Single Cabins as Richard suggested.

Various opinions have been stated on that thread relating to cruise lines that some like and some don't. It also shows that figures can be manipulated in various ways to give various views. 

Out there on the seas are over 60 cruise lines operating over 300 ships. Most people have travelled with very few of them as they have for various reasons their own favourites. Some are very protective of their favourite cruise line and will not hear a word said against them despite the reality being something different. I believe the truth is that when it comes to food and service there is very little to differentiate the lines that are 3 star to those who proclaim themselves to be 4 star plus. Indeed if someone was to put on here say 6 pictures of food from 6 different lines could anyone tell which came from which line. I would suggest the answer is no as presentation is so similar. I have just spent 7 days on Boudicca and the food was excellent. 2 weeks ago I was on a 5 star plus ship and that to was excellent but more 'Nuvo Cuisine'. Next week I am on Anthem of the Seas where the food will again I am sure be good as was Splendour of the Seas last December. Yes you can get a meal that is not to your liking or is not hot enough or the steak not done to your personal liking but that does not make all the food on that ship bad. I don't judge a ship by its age but by its condition. Last year I was on an alleged  '5 star' ship that had quite a number of misted window panes that needed replacing but didn't see any on Marco Polo or Fred ships. 

Lets have some discussion on why people are loyal to various cruise lines and see if their opinion stands up to the scrutiny of others.

Its over to you.

Excellent thread introduction OldWorldTraveller. Shame I am on borrowed time this morning as it looks like the being a gorgeous day here on the Solent.

I would consider myself in your 'minority' having, like yourself, spread myself across many cruise lines.

I do like your line..."Some are very protective of their favourite cruise line and will not hear a word said against them despite the reality being something different".

I have been accused of that very same charge on more occasions than I can bother to recall.

However, I see it from a different perspective and more often than not enjoy correcting false perceptions and, in many cases, blatant envy. 

So again, great thread and I shall very much look forward to another Bolsover Forum quality debate. 

JOHN CAIN likes this

Hi OWT

This topic could be illuminating I have certain lines I like and other I am less impressed with.  As general rule the more you pay the better the cruise (no surprise there).  I can't understand why some cruisers defend their favoured cruise line so much, particularly as they tend to have only tried a few lines and really don't have anything to compare them with.  I suppose they take any minor or major criticism of their preferred line as an attack on their tastes.   I like a traditional cruise environment I have sailed on some large vessels (QM2 being the largest) but I prefer smaller ships the service is more personal.  Bing and glitz doesn't impress me, I like understated elegance.   I was unaware that I needed a climbing wall or an ice rink etc. on a cruise ship but certain designers think that they are indispensable.   I have no problems with those who do and it will be informative to see why others explain why they have a blind loyalty to a particular line.

Good morning land Ahoy.

Harmony reigns I see. wink.png wink.png

Brand loyalty is neither new (it being the point of brands) nor confined to cruise lines. It's easy to be critical but I wonder how many people change their supermarket / coffee or whatever on a regular basis.

ron likes this

Its over to you.

I had a gap of 41 years between my first and second cruises, primarily because I did not see a cruise as the best type of holiday for children, and then latterly convincing my wife that she was not too young to go cruising. The two big differences I noticed were affordability and food, with the extensive multi-course menus of P&O in the 70s  being replaced by a much more sensible attitude to dining today.

We are quite happy to lower our food expectations when on a ship, because on shore we have chosen our favourite restaurants from dozens of options and for us it is unrealistic to expect to have food on board that matches our carefully chosen shore options.

Similarly for entertainment we accept that it is going to be "middle of the road", and that is fine because again were we on shore we would have the option of travelling to see our preferred play or show.

Therefore in choosing a cruise holiday we are looking at other factors, and a significant one is the adult only ships option offered by P&O. This for us defines the cruise being about relaxation and good conversation, as opposed to an excess of catering to populist activities such as "ice shows". 

We would not be too worried about a ships age as long as it has been regularly refurbished, and overall we think of the older smaller ships as being safer.

Another factor are the cruise lines that sail from UK ports, giving a very welcome holiday option with regards to not having to limit our baggage allowance.

However, that said I suspect that we will put up with luggage restrictions where the ships with the largest dance floors do not dock in the UK.

DavidH likes this

Nice thread OWT, and a good balanced arguement based on your own experiences, todays soicety is so hung up on brand loyalty and even for the poor kids at school it can start with an early age!!  I have no loyalty to any particular brand as they each offer something different, I have to say I am more impressed by destination rather than gimmicks as there are too many places to visit in a short lifetime, however I really enjoyed a good meal so couple destination with dining and its a match for me.

I have to say both plates of food look well presented and wouldnt like to guess which respective line or ship they come from as I know this can change from one ship to another based on the head chefs own style.

I will be interested to know however where each was from!!

I am a relative newbie to cruising compared to many on this forum.  My loyalty to P&O Cruises came from my Aunty she has cruised for many years, with many different cruise lines.  Of late she shied away from flying preferring the ease of sailing from the UK and P&O did have the monopoly in this market.   She built up her status with P&O to the Baltic Tier and is very proud of this, gets a very good discount on board 10%, knows a lot of the crew personally, but the main point is she is happy and enjoys P&O even with the changes of late.

Now I am more curious, I want to try different cruise lines and experience what they have to offer, but working full time, limited holidays I have to choose carefully the itinerary, balanced with time off and cost, so they are the main factors when I am looking for my next cruise.

In answer to your question,  loyalty can also be down to circumstances the appeal of increasing my days at sea with P&O to get the extra benefits on board would not make me chose them over a different Line, if they didn’t offer want I wanted.  I have yet to experience many of the Cruise Lines now on offer but in time look forward to doing so, think I need a new job reviewing Cruise Lines or a mystery shopper on board… smile.png

Land Ahoy and DavidH like this

I can see the advantages to loyalty, you know the standards and the style suits you and there is also the (eventual) reward for progressing through the loyalty tiers. I for one lay in the hands of the TA's and familiy members to help tell me what will be best, as you say wheels i was also worried that some cruise lines could be fuddy duddy and Pretentious and this is exactly the reason I don't cruise with certain companies, is this me being close minded I think it is more a case of doing my research and getting what is right for my family at this stage in our lives.

Here are 2 more from a  different ship. Which looks best, the first set that have had suggestions of Island Escape and Fred Olsen or these?

Its the taste that counts, but based solely on the photos:

No.1 - An over elaborately decorated piece of cake.

No.2 - If this is smoked salmon then a blob in the middle of the plate is not best presentation.

No.3 - Unappetising.

No.4-  Back to the cookery school for the architect of this, with a special note on avoiding "naff" presentation.

Its the taste that counts, but based solely on the photos:

No.1 - An over elaborately decorated piece of cake.

No.2 - If this is smoked salmon then a blob in the middle of the plate is not best presentation.

No.3 - Unappetising.

No.4-  Back to the cookery school for the architect of this, with a special note on avoiding "naff" presentation.

Good points. And your observations on the second two pictures are?

I agree with AFC's comments. I do partly understand the logic behind being loyal to a particular cruise line. Much like Riversong said, I myself am relatively in-experienced when it comes to cruising in comparison to many on this forum. I have sailed with multiple cruise lines but in the grand scheme of things, the amount of ships and lines I;ve covered is very small when compared to how many their are to choose from.  

Am I loyal to P&O? Yes, I would say I am but that's because I have always enjoyed my time on board with them and like AFC said, I did my research and found them to be the most suited cruise line at the time when I first started booking. That continued and still does but I have tried other lines and will carry on doing so. For me, I'm not overly interested in loyalty points, it's just the knowing what your booking scenario I guess. With P&O Cruises, I know what I'm getting for my money and when finance, annual leave and calendar dates are limited, you want to know you're booking something that you're going to enjoy. While that might come across a little narrow minded, it's just my opinion and the way I've looked at it. It hasn't however prevented me from trying lines like Princess Cruises and Celebrity Cruises as well as Holland America Line, and I would try all 3 again in the future.

I think what I look for from a cruise has changed over the years though and I'm sure this applies for many cruisers. I started out looking for a cruise for my then girlfriend and I to enjoy some relaxation time. This remained the case for a while but then we looked for a honeymoon cruise and now we are married with a little girl and look for something a little more family orientated. The other changes lay with the destination choices on offer. When you first start out cruising the world is your oyster but as you cruise more and more, especially if you sail from the UK, your itinerary choices become limited and you start looking for new ports of call to get excited about. It's because of this I opted for Celebrity, Princess and Holland America. Destination will always drive me. I am not so loyal to a particular cruise line anymore. I am most loyal to the cruise that suits my needs, requirements, destination preferences and timeframe, which all vary from year to year. That said, I'll always hold P&O Cruises dear as they were the cruise line that started my cruise holiday addiction.

Hi OWT

Hi Land Ahoy,

I like "understated elegance" too, but given the atrium on Britannia it would appear that designers are not necessarily heading in that direction.

Also a good term when associated with dress choice, but perhaps that is another thread.

Land Ahoy likes this

Hi Land Ahoy,

I like "understated elegance" too, but given the atrium on Britannia it would appear that designers are not necessarily heading in that direction.

Also a good term when associated with dress choice, but perhaps that is another thread.

Hi Wheels36

Current trends in design favour over the top glitz.  Bling is in vogue, however, like all trends it will eventually go out fashion and a more restrained décor will become "the new thing"