Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cabin boy

Cost Of Single Cruising!

10 posts in this topic

My wife often doesnt wish to go on a cruise so she says "you go".So I sometimes do BUT,the availability and or cost of a cabin can be almost as much as paying for 2.As cruising has an average age of 50 plus (generally) many couples have divorced or 1 spouse has died and we are charged a large supplement.The total lack or limited single cabins means I have to wait very close to the sailing date for a better deal and often the cruise sells out.Surely as we have an increasing older population cruise lines should  build more single cabins into there newer ships!

Hi  cabin boy

Your views are entirely valid but cruise lines as most of the holiday industry is geared to couples travelling together.  I suppose most of the marketing team are not really in tune in with the changes which have occurred in society over the last thirty or more years.  They are too busy deciding that what the cruisers want is a climbing wall rather than realising that the biggest growth in society is the of number of single people.  However, if solo passengers are willing to pay the large single supplement why should the cruise line or hotel change their pricing policy.  The only way these industries will change if singles refused these supplements and wait, as you do, until a reasonable deal is offered.  I too often travel as a solo passenger and I did see P&O offering a 7 night in May from £419 including a single supplement of only £20.  I did not book this cruise although I wished to go on holiday about this time of year but two weeks  were there no good offers available so I book a land based holiday which was available at no single supplement  It doesn't bother me I enjoy land based holidays as much as a cruise vacation.

My wife often doesnt wish to go on a cruise so she says "you go".So I sometimes do BUT,the availability and or cost of a cabin can be almost as much as paying for 2.As cruising has an average age of 50 plus (generally) many couples have divorced or 1 spouse has died and we are charged a large supplement.The total lack or limited single cabins means I have to wait very close to the sailing date for a better deal and often the cruise sells out.Surely as we have an increasing older population cruise lines should  build more single cabins into there newer ships!

P&O have increased their numbers of 'single' cabins recently: as have Cunard.

Actually I'm tracking a cruise in May that has an excellent deal for a solo travellers. I believe another member is already booked.

These offers do pop up now and again.

As a slight aside I'm also anxiously waiting the return of my 'solo' neighbour who completes her 9th consecutive Full World Cruise on Aurora next week.

The point I make is that there are single people out there who are more than happy to pay for what they want.

My argument is and always will be that single cabins are not really cost effective. They are loaded and in some cases you can get a double cabin with a single supplement and the difference involved can be as little as £100. Sometimes I have found that the single cabin is actually dearer than paying a supplement. The other thing is that they put them in the most stupidest of places. They have just added some on Arcadia. They are located on the top deck near the crows nest, which I consider to be one of the worst places to be in bad weather. 

My example has always been - if two people are paying say £1000 for a cabin each, then the single cabin of the same quality should be £1000, not £1500 or more. They are loaded and it is totally unfair!

wood369 likes this

My argument is and always will be that single cabins are not really cost effective. They are loaded and in some cases you can get a double cabin with a single supplement and the difference involved can be as little as £100. Sometimes I have found that the single cabin is actually dearer than paying a supplement. The other thing is that they put them in the most stupidest of places. They have just added some on Arcadia. They are located on the top deck near the crows nest, which I consider to be one of the worst places to be in bad weather. 

My example has always been - if two people are paying say £1000 for a cabin each, then the single cabin of the same quality should be £1000, not £1500 or more. They are loaded and it is totally unfair!

There are two major cost issues here, the build cost and the relative volume space of a single to a double cabin.

With regards to build cost there will not be much difference between the two cabins, each has a bathroom, each has a partition wall, each has a door,each require wiring, plumbing and decorating, and each has floor coverings and a bed, etc (albeit smaller). I would estimate the direct build cost of the single at about 90% of the double, but to realise that 10% estimated saving the build volume of cabins would have to be sufficient to negate the non standard element of the project management as currently exists.

With regards to volume space I am not sure of the volume of a single as opposed to a double, but for me that would relate to the reduction as a proportion of the overall cost and it would not be a significant amount.

To be honest, I am not really bothered how much it costs to install a single cabin. I have travelled as a single and have always paid the single supplement for a double cabin. I have never had a single cabin and should I be travelling alone in the future, I have no intention of having a single cabin. Not until such time that a single person isn't having to pay a hiked up price.

Ok I know not all of you agree but my point is that they shouldn't be hiked up as much as they are. 

wood369 likes this