Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeithnRita

Land Base Vacation (Holiday)

19 posts in this topic

We love cruises and we love being a member of this great cruise site, however we also have a favorite vacation spot not related to sea cruises.  Ours is our 2 week timeshare at Sea Club V located on Siesta Key (Sarasota) Florida. We are leaving Friday May 8 for our 19th year at SCV--for 2 weeks on the white sand beach!

On our first trip there while we were 'dating' we fell in love with the place and each other! We've only missed 1 year when we decided instead to take the grandkids, daughters and son-in-laws to Disney.

We stated out renting one week and them bought the week about 15 years ago. A couple years after that we bought our second week in paradise. We've made long lasting friendships with the regulars who share our two weeks from all this country. Also a couple from Germany. We recently lost a dear friend who was from England.

http://www.seaclubv.com/  Click and be sure to check out the web cams.

Other than cruising what is your favorite place(s) to holiday?

post-5246-0-25587500-1430852657_thumb.jpg

DavidH and wheels36 like this

When our children were small we often visited Guilvinec in Brittany where there are wide empty beaches close by, and we were able to give them lots of freedom to run about on the beach as we had no trouble seeing where they were. In the evening when the children were asleep we would cook Brittany mussels (the best), and the freshest of fish that had been landed at the port that day. There was also a local fisherman who had to pass our gite, and we regularly bought lobster and crab from him that had been out of the sea less than an hour, so it was a good feeling to know that we were cooking with a fresher product than any Michelin three star chef on that particular day. 

I am lucky enough to have 2 holiday homes, one in Bulgaria on the Black Sea and one in Egypt on the Red Sea. I love both places for different reasons. Egypt for it's history, dusty towns and souks that are rich in the aroma of spices together with the beautiful clear turquoise waters where the sun shines 365 days of every year. Bulgaria for its old world charm, mountain villages and beautiful golden beaches. The cruise ships as they arrive and depart from Nessebar, seeing the sun rise over the Black Sea from our bedroom balcony and then set in the evening behind the Balkan Mountains from our lounge balcony.

wheels36, DavidH, Terminator and 1 other like this

Like you Keith and Rita we have a routine for 'Land' based holidays.

And as OldWorldTraveller knows, we were, up till last year, regular visitors to Egypt where i could pursue my Scuba Diving passion.

We also love the Far East and regularly visit Thailand and Indonesia though the latter has little to excite us any more.

Last year we did a 5 week 'land'  tour of Australia: WOW, what a time we had...

13429873024_65eb20a5d8_z.jpg

13896498741_bee87e5774_z.jpg

KeithnRita likes this

Mine was starting with a visit to a family member in either Chicago or New York and then travelling over the states, by land, visiting other family members either North towards Green Bay (Packers rule!!) down to Texas, across to Wyoming… wherever the mood took us. You see more of the country that way. The Badlands were absolutely brilliant and I met Andy Williams in Branson, Missouri and drove a Duck. I also spent some time at an archaeological dig in a sink hole where a Mammoth was found. The list is endless but to find stuff off the beaten track where some visitors to the USA don't have the time to go was a good thing as it was never too overcrowded.

Hi  I hope you have a great vacation in Florida.  I don't have a "favourite" holiday destination I prefer to visit new places although I have chosen to visit places I "glanced at" while cruising for a more comprehensive visit.  The last of these was a land based holiday incorporating Croatia and Montenegro both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

KeithnRita likes this

This thread has reminded me of an anecdote from a holiday with friends who had children of similar ages to ours, so between us we were watching over six children on that holiday between the ages of three and eight. At the end of the Brittany beach was a playground and we were taking turns to keep watch while the others chatted and drank "Sancerre".

In the playground was a boat and in it the two youngest boys had found an old wooden sword that someone had left, but having put it down the sword had been picked up by two French boys of similar ages. We were having a smile at their efforts to communicate with the French boys and reclaim the sword, but my wife thought it prudent to intervene so she took our youngest son aside to explain that the French boys spoke a different language and if he wished to speak to them he needed to tell them who he was in their language.

Say to the French boys "je m' appelle Alexander". 

My so immediately marched over to the French boy " je m' appelle Alexander - we found that sword first ". 

This thread has reminded me of an anecdote from a holiday with friends who had children of similar ages to ours, so between us we were watching over six children on that holiday between the ages of three and eight. At the end of the Brittany beach was a playground and we were taking turns to keep watch while the others chatted and drank "Sancerre".

In the playground was a boat and in it the two youngest boys had found an old wooden sword that someone had left, but having put it down the sword had been picked up by two French boys of similar ages. We were having a smile at their efforts to communicate with the French boys and reclaim the sword, but my wife thought it prudent to intervene so she took our youngest son aside to explain that the French boys spoke a different language and if he wished to speak to them he needed to tell them who he was in their language.

Say to the French boys "je m' appelle Alexander". 

My so immediately marched over to the French boy " je m' appelle Alexander - we found that sword first ". 

Lovely story wheels36 and as for Sancerre, my favourite white wine.

KeithnRita and wheels36 like this

Lovely story wheels36 and as for Sancerre, my favourite white wine.

Mine too, though my wife has a leaning towards New Zealand "Sauvignon".

Therefore I usually stock up heavily so that if she does a supermarket list it's a case of "we are well stocked with white wine dear".

It works most of the time.

In the summer we love our family cottage on Lake Muskoka in Ontario. Husband sails with our son and grandchildren, then acts as spotter or power boat driver while the youngsters waterski and wake board. Daughter in law and I relax on the dock with a glass of wine and a couple of good books. Bliss!

Most of our land based holidays involve visiting family in UK, but we try to combine this with a cruise or a touring holiday to maximize the use of our air fare. Cornwall is on our list for next year.

Well we are going on a land based holiday to......BUTLINS in Skegness..with 3 of grandsons..at half term.

We took them away in a motor home a couple of years back... around the beautiful Northumberland coast.

They loved it.

But we decided something different this time..so Butlins it is....JOY...

OH and I have two more weeks booked this year in Turkey and Tenerife.

We are also taking the family back to Menorca next summer..all 15 of us.

We have a week booked in Italy..(Florence and Venice) in the spring..2016.

A week in Ireland and another to be arranged.

Not cruising till 2017.

Hi Suespud,

Butlins, now there is a name from the past. I have to admit I didn't realise they were still operating. I will be interested to know what they are like now as I remember them with chalets to sleep in, large modest dining rooms back in the 60's. 

OWT.

wheels36 likes this

Hi Suespud,

Butlins, now there is a name from the past. I have to admit I didn't realise they were still operating. I will be interested to know what they are like now as I remember them with chalets to sleep in, large modest dining rooms back in the 60's. 

OWT.

Me too, though I guess that they will have had to move upmarket.

I noticed a few years ago that the Filey site had closed so I assumed that they were no more, but clearly not.

Hi K & R,

My wife and I like to think that we are fairly well seasoned travellers but we still rate our annual 5 or 6 weeks touring France in our caravan as our preferred form of holiday.

I book the ferry to get us there (often into Santander, Spain) and, sometimes, the ferry back (from either Calais or Zeebrugge).  The rest is normally open to whim and fancy, though Provence is probably our favourite area.

For this year, I had ferries booked and a planned route all mapped out, starting last week in April in Santander, travelling through Southern France into Italy, to stay on the shores of Lake Iseo.  From there, we were going to attend a performance of Lucia de Lammermoor at La Scala in Milan before heading home through Switzerland and Alsace and a Calais/Dover ferry sometime mid-June.  Alas, we have had to put the whole trip on hold as my replacement knee joint surgery took priority (right knee 8 April, left knee 6 May).  At least that's over and done with now.  Just the hard slog of getting back the full use of muscles and ligaments.

Oh well!! Another time, eh?

Me too, though I guess that they will have had to move upmarket.

I noticed a few years ago that the Filey site had closed so I assumed that they were no more, but clearly not.

This will be my first (probably only..lol) time.

We are going for the boys..age 5,5 & 7.

We wanted to go to a place where there was lots for them to do and where kids can be kids.

They all like different things so after a talk with a few friends..Butlins it was.

I was quite surprised how nice it looks..quite up to date.

http://www.butlins.com/

Gold Accommodation, fully equipped 3 bedroom, ground floor apartment..nice, but not posh..but thats good with 3 lively boys.

There are lots restaurants (premium package) and lots of food choice...not just nuggets and chips. (no supplements like on cruise ships..lol )

And lots of indoor stuff to do if it weather is bad. Huge indoor water complex.

Price wise..

1400 pounds for all 5 of us for 4 nights...includes food and soft drinks/coffee, maid service every day, towels and bed linen.

We paid for a few extras.. go carts, ten pin bowling etc.

Alcohol..we will have hidden in our suitcases...lolol