Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clare

Bergen, Andalsnes, Olden And Stavanger

21 posts in this topic

Morning all.  Are there any excursions at these ports which you would say are a " must do " ??  We are fit and able so don't mind walking.  Thanks Clare

Bergen is a must. Take the cable car up the hill. You do not need to. Go on an organised trip to do thus as you can walk round the town easily. Make sure you go to the market by the Harbour as the fish, if you like it, is wonderful. Stavanger is ok and easy to walk round. Andalsnes really could do with a trip as, although nice to sail to, I thought has little there to see. The tourist bus at Olden gets you out! You will enjoy if the weather is good.

wheels36 likes this

Hi  I agree with Fred about Bergen, however, the transport up the hill is by a rack and pinion railway rather than a cable car.  You will pass the fish market before coming to the station, it's up a small hill to the left.  Both Olden and Andalsnes are extremely small and it won't take very long to fully explore both places, but there are many paths to follow if you are active, if you wish see more of the country take a tour.  Remember that the weather can be very variable so take clothes to suit all conditions like you would in the UK

ritaw and wheels36 like this

Morning all.  Are there any excursions at these ports which you would say are a " must do " ??  We are fit and able so don't mind walking.  Thanks Clare

Bergen is just made for doing on your own.

14609736724_273ee2e237_z.jpg

oldbiddy1 and covcity0 like this

Sorry Land Ahoy - I can tell the difference between ships but rack and pinion or cable car! Well they both go up the hill to a very nice hotel at the top for coffee and cake.

Sorry Land Ahoy - I can tell the difference between ships but rack and pinion or cable car! Well they both go up the hill to a very nice hotel at the top for coffee and cake.

Hi,

Is there a choice in Bergen between rail car and cable car, and if so do they go to different places?

Hi,

Is there a choice in Bergen between rail car and cable car, and if so do they go to different places?

Hi  The last time I was in Bergen just over two years ago there wasn't a cable car up the mountain.  The views are specular and it's well worth going up but on other occasions we didn't even attempt to ascend this attraction due to low cloud which sometimes affect this area.  In addition you will need Norwegian Konner or credit card the last we tried to pay for the tickets the booking office didn't accept Euros

wheels36 and Land Ahoy like this

Hi  The last time I was in Bergen just over two years ago there wasn't a cable car up the mountain.  The views are specular and it's well worth going up but on other occasions we didn't even attempt to ascend this attraction due to low cloud which sometimes affect this area.  In addition you will need Norwegian Konner or credit card the last we tried to pay for the tickets the booking office didn't accept Euros

Thanks for this LA.

The Cruise Personaliser shows an excursion with a cable car to Mount Ulriken, but I am guessing that this is a different mountain to the railcar ride that you describe close to the fish market.

W

Thanks for this LA.
The Cruise Personaliser shows an excursion with a cable car to Mount Ulriken, but I am guessing that this is a different mountain to the railcar ride that you describe close to the fish market.

Hi Wheels36

The railcar which runs from the centre of Bergen ascends Mount Floyen.

wheels36 likes this

Hi all,

I live in Bergen and run a tourist website about things to do in Bergen, http://www.thingstodoinbergen.com.

For information about Mount Floyen and Mount Ulriken, please visit the following pages smile.png

http://www.thingstodoinbergen.com/attractions-in-bergen/floibanen-funicular/

http://www.thingstodoinbergen.com/attractions-in-bergen/mount-ulriken/

Included on the site are the top attractions which are considered a must do when visiting Bergen. Also if you do get the chance to venture a short way out of the city it's well worth exploring the Hardangerfjord and Sognefjord. Stopping at sites like Steinsdalsfossen and the fantastic view at Aurlandsfjord.

If you have any questions i will be more than happy to answer them the best I can.

post-6475-0-18434700-1434970722_thumb.jpg

post-6475-0-74645000-1434971275_thumb.jpg

post-6475-0-31430400-1434971429_thumb.jpg

post-6475-0-43407400-1434971443_thumb.jpg

oldbiddy1 likes this

I wish my view from Mt Floyen had been that good!!! In between the rolling rain clouds we occasionally got a view of the port below, although its still worth it But as previosuly mentioned Bergen can be subject to rain so go prepared

The Vidden Trail is a very popular walk/hike that combines both Mount Floyen, Mount Ulriken and everything in between. This is a trail that Norwegians love to do and is considered the best walk/hike to do in Bergen.

Learn more here: http://www.thingstodoinbergen.com/attractions-in-bergen/vidden-trail/

Enjoy!

We looked at this but thought that it was too risky for a one day cruise stop.

We looked at this but thought that it was too risky for a one day cruise stop.

Yes i guess that would be a bit of a push to do the whole trek in one day. Many people who don't feel up to doing the full trek or are short on time often just walk to Rundermann, then return back to Floyen. You still get fantastic views and you can easily get this done in 2 hours including breaks.

wheels36 likes this

This is really helpful advice Sapsford11. It’s great for those who only have a day in port or for those who don’t feel like doing the full trek but still want to experience fantastic views. Plus it gives people plenty of time to explore other areas whilst in port.