Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shetlander

Starting A Cruise In Venice

15 posts in this topic

I've been looking at cruises for this summer and one possibility is for a cruise starting in Venice. We would aim to have a couple of days in Venice before the cruise.

I imagine that it will be rather busy at that time of year and was wondering about the logistics of airport -> hotel -> ship. We're quite comfortable making our own way and I think it could all be quite fun and exciting, but would be keen on members thoughts, especially as we have 2 children.

Any comments / thoughts would be much appreciated.

I've been looking at cruises for this summer and one possibility is for a cruise starting in Venice. We would aim to have a couple of days in Venice before the cruise.

I imagine that it will be rather busy at that time of year and was wondering about the logistics of airport -> hotel -> ship. We're quite comfortable making our own way and I think it could all be quite fun and exciting, but would be keen on members thoughts, especially as we have 2 children.

We have been thinking on the same lines though we have been to Venice before.

For flights Easyjet fly into the more convenient "Marco Polo Airport", and from there it is a 5 euro, 20 minute bus ride to Piazzale Roma. You can purchase tickets in the arrivals hall, validate at the yellow box, and the bus is opposite the exit door.

If you choose a hotel between Piazzale Roma and Ponte Degli Scalzi Bridge then it is walkable with cases, though you have to cross a couple of minor canals, otherwise you take a water taxi to your hotel.

Land taxis are available at Piazzale Roma to cruise ship.

We have been thinking on the same lines though we have been to Venice before.

For flights Easyjet fly into the more convenient "Marco Polo Airport", and from there it is a 5 euro, 20 minute bus ride to Piazzale Roma. You can purchase tickets in the arrivals hall, validate at the yellow box, and the bus is opposite the exit door.

If you choose a hotel between Piazzale Roma and Ponte Degli Scalzi Bridge then it is walkable with cases, though you have to cross a couple of minor canals, otherwise you take a water taxi to your hotel.

Land taxis are available at Piazzale Roma to cruise ship.

Use the People Mover from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal..1 euro.

My recommendation for a hotel would be the Best Western Hotel Olimpia..http://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

Easy walking distance from the taxi rank and to the people mover.

Whilst in Venice use this site for info including Google maps...http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

I have never done my own arrangement for a cruise departing from Venice, it has always been with a cruise line, in my case Princess Cruises, Celebrity and Holland America but the one thing I would advise is to be careful if you decide to pick up a water taxi from the airport. Some fellow passengers we got talking to on board our Holland America cruise had done this and had paid an extortionate amount.

As for hotels, the Danieli is a particular favourite of mine as is the Monaco Grand Canal which we enjoyed for a long weekend a few years ago. This hotel is excellent but would not be ideally situated for walking distance to the cruise terminal. If you're spending time in Venice though and want a beautiful place to dine then the hotel restaurant is excellent. If you ring well enough in advance before you travel and book a table, make sure you request a table on the veranda but be specific about the front row, that way you are right on the waterfront just as the Grand Canal opens out towards the lagoon, it's a special spot and stunning food.

Shetlander likes this

Hi Shetlander.

My wife and I started our Ventura cruise in Venice last may.

We had a 3 day pre-cruise stay and one day took the train to Lake Garda - dead easy.

The 'logistics' from the airport are very easy. Coaches run very regularly and you can get a ticket at €6...

17024562323_39c7b32e99_z.jpg

Next question, where do you fancy staying?

Shetlander likes this

Thanks very much everybody - lots of ideas. Seems that it's not too bad - I had visions of carrying bags for miles, and an equally clear idea of who would be carrying them.

Next question, where do you fancy staying?

I'm following up the earlier thoughts on location, but I'm pretty open to ideas.

Thanks again everybody.

On the subject of Venice there are obviously lots of sights on the tourist trail, but there is also a fascinating maritime history as well.

Any young economics student at Cambridge could well find themselves writing about the decline of Venice, and what part the non- ocean going Venetian ship designs played in that decline.

Whee did you book in the end? I have been thinking of doing the same, but for next year.

I followed Terminator's advice and we have 3 nights at the Hotel Olimpia before we start our cruise. It looks really good and in a great location. It should provide the perfect start to our cruise.

sammy sun and Terminator like this

I think that one of the best things about cruising in Venice is the sail past into port. Although they are stopping the ships going in that way.

I'm really looking forward to the sail out from Venice. I'm also looking forward to watching our ship sail in. I think that our boys will find that quite exciting.

I'm really looking forward to the sail out from Venice. I'm also looking forward to watching our ship sail in. I think that our boys will find that quite exciting.

It's a very nice and special experience. 

Though not the same ship this is a similar view that visitors to St Mark's Square have when ships sail out early evening...

17895338481_99eb2d7786_z.jpg

Shetlander and DavidH like this