Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Holidayplane

Going Ashore By Tender

21 posts in this topic

I have booked a cruise to Fiji on Dawn Princess and have heard it can take upto 2/3 hours to get ashore by tender. As anyone been on Dawn Princess and experienced this? We had a similar experience to this on the Sun Princess on a cruise to Ball, nightmare!!!

We always try to give cruises a miss if there are tender ports on the cruise, as you always seem to end up waiting ages to dis-embark/embarkwink.png

I agree with Ron, there can be a huge queue for the tender and whilst the sea may look calm, its always choppier on a tender. I don't think I would like to do a couple of hours on one but at the end of the day the tenders are the lifeboats.

Thanks for your remarks but I meant waiting in a room for 2/3 hours with another 500 people or more waiting till your number is called out so you can get on a tender which may only take 15 minutes to get to shore, as any body else experienced this.

Derrr…. my brain hurts. Its amazing how easy it is to misread something.

To be honest, it can be quicker than you think to get ashore but unfortunately the priority will go to those going on trips. I don't know how big the ship you are going on is but if Arcadia is anything to go by… 2k people and dependent on the distance it shouldn't be that long. The best thing to do is to get your pass to disembark asap, I will admit that getting back to the ship is harder as everyone seems to be going back at the same time. I was in Guernsey on a tender and it took about 1/2 hour to get anywhere near the tender so you have to give yourself plenty of time.

I often think too much negativity surrounds the tender debate. Unfortunately, to allow passengers to enjoy certain parts of the world, tenders are necessary. Cruise lines do the best they can to get passengers off and on as swiftly and efficiently as possible. Most of the time it all goes smoothly, on occasion it may not, but they always try their best. The important thing to remember is that if you want to get off early, head down for your tender pass early or book a tour. Once on the tender, relax, enjoy the view and enjoy taking some snaps of your ship from up close. With the backdrop of Fiji Holidayplane, your sure to capture some nice photos.

DavidH likes this

I have booked a cruise to Fiji on Dawn Princess and have heard it can take upto 2/3 hours to get ashore by tender. As anyone been on Dawn Princess and experienced this? We had a similar experience to this on the Sun Princess on a cruise to Ball, nightmare!!!

I have never cruised with Princess but given the size of the ship and the number of tenders I would gave thought you would have been ashore in an hour unless there was a problem.

I wonder what other folks' experience has been? Any tender stories out there?

We were on a thomson tender trying to get back to the ship when it turned very windy & rough. The crew tried very hard for quite a while to get us along side but finally had to admit defeat & got us back on board by going round to the other side of the ship where it was slightly calmer. A few people looked a bit green around the gills but we were ok probably because we didn't worry as when all said & done we were on a lifeboat!

We have tendered in many places without incident or long queuing times. However this all changed when we were on Celebrity Constellation in St. Bart's early this year.

I don't think St. Bart's is too keen on cruise ships, because they imposed really stringent restrictions.

The ship had to anchor a long way out, making the tender trip at least twenty minutes. Only one tender could dock at a time, and the maximum speed in the harbour was 3 knots. The ship could only use two tenders.

Needless to say this did not produce a good experIence. We had priority tendering because we are Elite, but it still took nearly two hours to get ashore. We went to the beach and walked through the town, and when we were returning to the ship mid afternoon, people were still coming off the ship. The captain was driving one of the tenders, probably as a PR exercise. He reported from the Navigational Bridge on beautiful tender number two during our journey.

St. Bart's is a lovely island, with incredible yachts in the harbour and very high end designer shops. Not a Diamonds International in sight! The beaches are beautiful, but I don't think we would want to deal with the tendering there again.

Thanks for your replys

, I am platinum level so no early tender so going to book a couple of excursions and take our luck on the other tenders.

You are much better waiting onboard ship than rushing ashore to find the weather gets bad. Years ago I had to land a tender on top of the pontoon to get it back to ship in bad weather. The swell was about 20 foot at the time so there was no alternative.

If you stay away from ship tours then you might not experience a long time waiting in the lounge or entertainment area though on the other hand depends on your tour time.

Some cruise lines like to herd everyone while others expect you to get on the tender in time.

Our Dawn Princess tender in Bali was about 20 minutes while our tender in the Gold Coast area was in choppy waters and took awhile,, the main issue was a local rule to use private boats that held almost 300 or more people so you spent more time loading and unloading vs. the transport time. Some of these private boats were not designed to place a ramp to the ships tender section so the crew improvised a ramp that was narrow from the boat to the ship. That took time

Tendering is of course a necessity if cruisers want to expand their itinerary base.

Also, a lot depends on the size of the ship and the organisation put in place to organise the transfers.

As far as the Pacific goes I was impressed with Silveursea's tender service at Moorea...

22080283764_c3c0e7a343_z.jpg

and Rangiroa...

22703081425_bf990a4b96_z.jpg

Of the larger ships I have tendered from none has been more impressive than Britannia and Queen Mary 2...

17937675741_b22c2975fe_z.jpg

To give credit where credit is due one of the best medium size cruise ship tender service was with Fred Olsen when I visited Devil's Island on Braemar...

22080581994_297d3008e1_z.jpg

A visit definitely not to be missed. It was part of an Amazon cruise and for me was one of the highlights of my cruise visits.