Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigerlilly

When’S The Best Time To Cruise To The Far East?

21 posts in this topic

There are a lot of deals around for october/november time to the far east. I was recently advsied that feb/march/april is a better time to go though. Does any one have any experience of this area? I'm still trying to find out as much as I can to please my hubby as he is desperate to get to this area!

I wouldn't rule out travelling to this part of the world at this time tigerlilly. You can often get lovely weather, particularly in October. You'll avoid the severe humidity of the main summer months so this can often be a nice time to travel, hence why so many cruise lines deploy ships in this region at this time. I'd consider it worth a go.

tigerlilly likes this

We were in Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines and India in March this year. It was extremely hot and humid, but we did acclimatize after a few days. We had only one wet day in a month. I don't know what September and October would be like. Last year we were in China in early April and the temperatures there were much more temperate, but we had a lot of rain.

Sheila

There are a lot of deals around for october/november time to the far east. I was recently advsied that feb/march/april is a better time to go though. Does any one have any experience of this area? I'm still trying to find out as much as I can to please my hubby as he is desperate to get to this area!

If it is the weather you are worried about then October and November should be fine. Those months will have seen the end of the rainy season in the Far East. February and march are also good but the rainey season starts around April.

I was in Vietnam and Cambodia in November and December just gone and wether was great...

15972445961_865fdd8b5d_z.jpg

Next question, what ship and itinerary do you fancy?

hi thank you!

i was looking at Royal Caribbean Legend of the seas or Celebrity Millenium?

Hi tigerlilly,

No experience of Royal Caribbean but we sailed Hong Kong to Singapore on Celebrity Millennium in March this year and thoroughly enjoyed both the itinerary and the ship.

The legend of the seas is:

Singapore, Bangkok/laemchabang - Thailand, Bangkok/laemchabang - Thailand, Nha Trang - Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh (Phu My) - Vietnam, Singapore 11/10/15 10 nights

The legend of the seas is:

Singapore, Bangkok/laemchabang - Thailand, Bangkok/laemchabang - Thailand, Nha Trang - Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh (Phu My) - Vietnam, Singapore 11/10/15 10 nights

Personally, I would not consider this itinerary as a) it's a long way to go for only 10 nights and 3 calls, other than Singapore and B) it doesn't include Halong Bay, which was the main attraction of the Vietnam area for us.  The limitation, of course, is the round trip, so the ship can only cover a relatively small geographical area.

Doesn't mean to say it wouldn't suit yourselves.  It's just my thoughts.

By the way, when Millennium over nighted in Laem Chabang, we booked Celebrity's 2 day tour of Bangkok, which included an hotel stay, as it is a long haul in from the port to Bangkok itself.

wheels36 and tigerlilly like this

Thank you for that tip David. I wasnt aware they offered that . . . I feel I may go back to the drawing board and start my search again. Thats the great thing about this forum! I didn't know very much at all about this area and had just seen some great offers for a cruise! It's now made me think twice about the "deal" and investigate the itinerary further!
The Millenium cruise may well be worth the extra cost from what you have said! The itineraries I had seen there were:

DAY 1 NOV 5, 2015
Hong Kong

DAY 2 NOV 6, 2015
Hong Kong

DAY 3 NOV 7, 2015
Hong Kong

DAY 4 NOV 8, 2015
Hong Kong

DAY 4 NOV 8, 2015
Hong Kong, China

DAY 5 NOV 9, 2015
Hong Kong, China

DAY 6 NOV 10, 2015
At Sea

DAY 7 NOV 11, 2015
Hanoi (Halong Bay), Vietnam

DAY 8 NOV 12, 2015
Hanoi (Halong Bay), Vietnam

DAY 9 NOV 13, 2015
Hue / Danang (Chan May), Vietnam

DAY 10 NOV 14, 2015
At Sea

DAY 11 NOV 15, 2015
Ho Chi Minh (Phu My), Vietnam

DAY 12 NOV 16, 2015
At Sea

DAY 13 NOV 17, 2015
Bangkok / Laem Chabang, Thailand

DAY 14 NOV 18, 2015
Bangkok / Laem Chabang, Thailand

DAY 15 NOV 19, 2015
At Sea

DAY 16 NOV 20, 2015
At Sea

DAY 17 NOV 21, 2015
Singapore, Asia

DAY 18 NOV 22, 2015
Singapore, Asia

OR:

DAY 1 NOV 22, 2015
Singapore, Asia

DAY 2 NOV 23, 2015
Singapore, Asia

DAY 3 NOV 24, 2015
At Sea

DAY 4 NOV 25, 2015
At Sea

DAY 5 NOV 26, 2015
Benoa, Bali, Indonesia

DAY 6 NOV 27, 2015
Benoa, Bali, Indonesia

DAY 7 NOV 28, 2015
Benoa, Bali, Indonesia

DAY 8 NOV 29, 2015
Komodo, Indonesia

DAY 9 NOV 30, 2015
At Sea

DAY 10 DEC 1, 2015
At Sea

DAY 11 DEC 2, 2015
At Sea

DAY 12 DEC 3, 2015
Phuket, Thailand

DAY 13 DEC 4, 2015
Penang, Malaysia

DAY 14 DEC 5, 2015
Port Kelang, Malaysia

DAY 15 DEC 6, 2015
Singapore, Asia

DavidH likes this

Both look fantastic itineraries and I fully agree with your point about the forum. There may be some negative comments but that's the beauty of a forum, particularly this one. You can get real advice from real people who have experienced these holidays themselves and are therefore in an excellent position to advise without agenda. 

DavidH likes this

Just been looking at excursions i want to do everything!!!

Got an outside cabin and a Select drinks package...very happy!! smile.png

Well done tigerlilly.  Great choice.  You will find a fair bit of information already on the forum about the area but let me know if you think I may be of further help.

Well done tigerlilly.  Great choice.  You will find a fair bit of information already on the forum about the area but let me know if you think I may be of further help.

Thank you David, I know we're not getting to do Laem Chabang but the budget didnt go to that first cruise I'm afaid! Still we have: Phuket, Penang, Bali, Komodo, Port Kelang and will have a good amount of time in Singapore - 3 full days! Is there anywhere you think is a must see/do?

Singapore - ride a bumboat from Clarke Quay to Merlion Park n the evening and watch the light show near the Merlion.  Try Original Singapore Walks for an in-depth look at some different areas of the city.  We took their Changi tour (actually mostly on a bus) which really brought the WW2 experience in Singapore to life and wished we had checked their schedule earlier so we could have taken some of their other tours.  We arrived in Singapore four days before our cruise and really enjoyed the city.  Their transit system is easy to navigate and taxis are reasonable too.

Have a wonderful time!  Keep Millennium in good shape for us, we are doing Vancouver to Tokyo in 2016.

Sheila

Thank you David, I know we're not getting to do Laem Chabang but the budget didnt go to that first cruise I'm afaid! Still we have: Phuket, Penang, Bali, Komodo, Port Kelang and will have a good amount of time in Singapore - 3 full days! Is there anywhere you think is a must see/do?

Hi tigerlilly,

Apologies for the delay.  Been on the Norfolk coast for the weekend with little internet access - made for a peaceful few days.

Singapore - I agree with Sheila re the evening bumboat trip from Clarke Quay and the laser light show.  Our trip also included going up to the viewing area atop the Sands Hotel complex. Excellent.  You could also consider the fascinating Night Safari, though we found the time allowed by the official ship's tour to be inadequate and simply took our own time and got a taxi back, rather than rushing the visit to go back by the official coach.  The Botanical Gardens are another must.  We visited during the day but I believe a night time visit is also good.  The place does look amazing when lit up at night.  Singapore in general is a great place to spend a few days.  So clean and easy to get around.  By the way, if your return flight from Singapore is the usual late night affair, you may wish to consider booking a Day Use room at the Crowne Plaza, Changi Airport.  Not cheap but excellent value as you can have a really relaxing final day lazing by the pool or just chilling in the hotel/your room before strolling onto the airport train link to catch your long haul flight home.

The only other port on your itinerary which we have visited (so far) is Port Klang from where we took the ship's (Azamara Journey) tour to Kuala Lumpur, some 40k away.  Port Klang itself has nothing to offer and merely serves as access to the fascinating city of Kuala Lumpur.  Check out the tours on offer from Millennium.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Quite jealous of you're visits to Phuket, Penang, Bali and Komodo but, there's still time for us (I hope)!!

Have a fabulous holiday.

tigerlilly likes this

Thank you David! November seems such a long time away though! We have been given use of a day room by Celebrity but it doesnt state which hotel it will be. Our flight leaves at 2320 so I feel it will be a loooooong day anyway!

I have wanted to visit Phucket for years and apparently theres a pink beach in Komodo thats a must see . . .  its just a case of weighing up seeing the pink beach or komodo dragons...!

DavidH likes this