Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bolsover Cruise Club

Five Free Things To Do In Venice

8 posts in this topic

Romantic gondola rides, stunning architecture and bustling piazzas are just a handful of the attractions that make Venice one of the most popular ports of call on many a Mediterranean cruise itinerary. However, while the city is known for all of these things, it is also renowned as one of the most expensive destinations in the world - take a seat outside one of the cafes that line the perimeter of Piazza San Marco and you can expect to pay an eye-watering €30 for two coffees!

Stretch your euros by avoiding the well-trodden tourist path and heading off in search of these free attractions instead. Not only will you save plenty of cash, you’ll see a more authentic side of this beautiful city too.

Read our blog >

kerry304 likes this

I think that you could well pay more than 30 euros for the coffees, and the gondola ride at 80 euros (think Disney ride) is an organised cartel.

However, we saw La Traviata there for around 40 euros each, so not all bad. 

can be an expensive city to visit but definitely worth it. It's one of those must see places in the world. I loved every minute of my first visit to Venice and I've been back multiple times since. 

I love Venice too. Although it's not free (unfortunately), a visit to Harry's Bar at Calle Vallaresso is a must after a long day shopping or sightseeing. Known as the 'home of the Bellini', the bar has a fascinating history. We also enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Grand Canal Restaurant next door afterwards, what a wonderful way to spend your afternoon, I wish I were there now!

I love Venice too. Although it's not free (unfortunately), a visit to Harry's Bar at Calle Vallaresso is a must after a long day shopping or sightseeing. Known as the 'home of the Bellini', the bar has a fascinating history. We also enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Grand Canal Restaurant next door afterwards, what a wonderful way to spend your afternoon, I wish I were there now!

Me too Matilda, I would love to be sat enjoying a Bellini in Venice right now instead of sat here in the dreary weather of the UK today. 

One of the things in my top 5 would be a visit to the markets close to the Rialto bridge, the produce, the sellers and the customers make for a fabulous insight into how Venice works for the locals.