Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigerlilly

Should Cruise Line Corkage Fees Be Uncorked?!

17 posts in this topic

interested to know peoples views on this? are you happy paying corkage fees or do you think this shoudl be waived??

i may cause controversy here but i think i agree that they are ok to charge this. I dont mind when I go to a restaurant where you can take your own wine so why mind on a ship?! a friend of mine was recently complaining about this and I wonder what peoples feelings are in general??

wheels36 likes this

I’m of the same mind set as you Tiger Lilly, if you want to drink your own wines then yes you should expect to be charged a corkage fee.  On saying that I have witnessed a fellow passenger trying to smuggle their own wine in a handbag & just place it on the table hoping the waiter would be too busy to notice, to their embarrassment it was picked up and a polite word was had with them.

wheels36 likes this

I think that paying a corkage on a good bottle of wine is always going to be better value than buying a similar bottle at the restaurant table, as the high hidden wine mark-ups in the UK do not easily transfer to a corkage charge.

In some areas of the UK there is a "bring your own wine" policy on midweek bookings with no corkage charge, and I think that this is usually better value than the midweek menu offers that usually involve an inferior menu.

I would expect to pay corkage in a restaurant ,but I would think £10 is reasonable not the £15 that P&O charge as it is more than the cheapest wine they sell. Why should you pay more to drink your own bottle than drinking one off the wine list?

wheels36 likes this

Have to say, we like our wines and have some decent stuff in our cellar but we have never even considered taking our own into a ship's restaurant.  Far more hassle than it's worth.  Always managed to find something drinkable from the on board wine lists and accept that the pricing is what it is for a captive audience.

I would expect to pay corkage in a restaurant ,but I would think £10 is reasonable not the £15 that P&O charge as it is more than the cheapest wine they sell. Why should you pay more to drink your own bottle than drinking one off the wine list?

I think that the restaurant corkage cost v cheapest wine cost tells us something about the quality of wine being offered at the "bottom end" on the ship. At the "bottom end" in a supermarket a small increase in price at the till can relate to a tripling of the price/quality at the vineyard, due to the bottling and transport overhead that is the same for every bottle, and is the fundamental reason why it is always best to stretch the budget when it comes to buying wine.

However, get used to a reasonable drink at home and you just do not feel like paying for the same quality in a restaurant when the wine cost will far exceed the food cost.

Have to say, we like our wines and have some decent stuff in our cellar but we have never even considered taking our own into a ship's restaurant.  Far more hassle than it's worth.  Always managed to find something drinkable from the on board wine lists and accept that the pricing is what it is for a captive audience.

I'm with you all the way David.

Just don't see the point or the hassle and certainly not the risk of having a 'tightwad' label affixed to my back.biggrin.png biggrin.png

On a small additional point, on my recent Celebrity Eclipse short break I had the Premium Wine package.

For my reds I chose a more than acceptable Chianti Classico which, as we can see, was offered at a pretty reasonable price, by the glass or bottle...

18190121959_4c1059f49b_z.jpg

Always beautifully poured by the lovely attentive Alina...

18188580498_c88d0b9597_z.jpg

DavidH likes this

I think that the restaurant corkage cost v cheapest wine cost tells us something about the quality of wine being offered at the "bottom end" on the ship. At the "bottom end" in a supermarket a small increase in price at the till can relate to a tripling of the price/quality at the vineyard, due to the bottling and transport overhead that is the same for every bottle, and is the fundamental reason why it is always best to stretch the budget when it comes to buying wine.

However, get used to a reasonable drink at home and you just do not feel like paying for the same quality in a restaurant when the wine cost will far exceed the food cost.

Good morning Wheels.

It took me a little time getting my head around that but thanks for the insight anyway.

The only answer I can think of really is to say that not all homes have the ambiance of a good cruise ship restaurant: or a shoreside one for that matter.

Just to add a little anecdote. During my 5 days on Eclipse I accidentally broke two glasses.

Does anyone ever wonder how those type of accidents are paid for?

i think there should be a fee however a less expenstive fee, because of some of the cruise lines i have travelled on the fee and you own personal wine adds up to higher value than just buying a bottle onboard...

I must admit I wasnt aware that the P&O charge was more than the price of the cheapest bottle of wine! I have only ever taken alcohol on the ship to have in my cabin (dependant on the cruise line of course as some wont allow even this!)

Whilst I agree with them charging if you take your own wine in, I personally haven't done it so far and think I would be too embarassed - yet i have done it in restauarants where that is the policy!?!

Definitely there should be some corkage costs otherwise it would become open to abuse with customers taking onboard what they wanted, I was reminded of my travel agent advising me that a customer had had a Tesco delivery to the quayside of wine to go. Need I say more!!!

Definitely there should be some corkage costs otherwise it would become open to abuse with customers taking onboard what they wanted, I was reminded of my travel agent advising me that a customer had had a Tesco delivery to the quayside of wine to go. Need I say more!!!

Ha I can't ever imagine having the bottle (excuse the pun) to do that. Just turn up at check-in closely followed by Tesco direct, now that is pushing the boundaries of unlimited luggage allowances!

I spent 25 years explaining to people in the uk that a £3.99 bottle of wine the cost of the wine was about 30p a £6.99 bottle the cost of the wine was almost £3. This is not the same on a cruise ship as they do not pay tax or vat  on their wines .  When the corkage was £5 a few years ago I would send a case of  good wines for drinking on board. Many of the wines we like are over £30 a bottle so we just have wine a few nights each cruise. I may take a couple of bottles  for our upcoming Princess cruise as the corkage is under £10

wheels36 likes this

I spent 25 years explaining to people in the uk that a £3.99 bottle of wine the cost of the wine was about 30p a £6.99 bottle the cost of the wine was almost £3. This is not the same on a cruise ship as they do not pay tax or vat  on their wines .  When the corkage was £5 a few years ago I would send a case of  good wines for drinking on board. Many of the wines we like are over £30 a bottle so we just have wine a few nights each cruise. I may take a couple of bottles  for our upcoming Princess cruise as the corkage is under £10

It's not only cost but liver recovery. We try to have three alcohol free days in every week.

I think the corkage fees are relatively reasonable and understandable. As much as well all want a fair deal, the cruise lines are there to make money at the end of the day and their not going to do away with corkage fees for that reason alone.

I’m not a wine connoisseur but I have to disagree with the comments about the cheapest wines on board P&O being of a lower quality.  Me & my partner where recently on board Britannia and tried one of the Olly Smith Wines, Bon Viveur white at only £15.50 a bottle we enjoyed this tipple so much that I had to Tweet Olly on our return to find out what would be the closest alternative, which turns out to be saint Mont White from M&S.

DavidH likes this