Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anchors-aweigh

Hidden Guests-

13 posts in this topic

-I'm always intrigued by the high number of 'guests' -not just in here but in another forum to which I belong. I am sure there is some reasoning behind staying hidden but have to admit -it escapes me....? 

I must admit that I check the forum a few times a day (sad I know) to see if there is anything new to read & sometimes I don't log in unless there is so I suppose that shows as a guest.

I must admit that I check the forum a few times a day (sad I know) to see if there is anything new to read & sometimes I don't log in unless there is so I suppose that shows as a guest.

Good morning 2torts.

'Hidden Guests' on here are those that have logged in (and maybe permanently logged in) but who have 'opted out' of being shown in their privacy settings.

At least that is the way I see it.

-I'm always intrigued by the high number of 'guests' -not just in here but in another forum to which I belong. I am sure there is some reasoning behind staying hidden but have to admit -it escapes me....? 

Good morning Anchors-aweigh.

It escapes me too but never mind, each to their own.

The real joy of the Bolsover Forum and one other UK one that i follow, is that at east they only count members currently logged in and don't attempt to boost their standing by extending the 'online times window' to give a false indicator.

Baffles me as well this one but as you say Richard, each to their own. I'm more than happy to share my screen name, identity etc but I guess others are not.

Hello Solent Richard. If I'm not a guest I suppose I must be anonymous at times. Easy to confuse the 2 terms & I'm easily confused these days!

A rather sad individual I am aware of, records what time certain posters are online and then ridicules and taunts them, especially if the posters are online late at night or the weekend.

So its not surprising some people choose to "hide" or be a "guest"

A rather sad individual I am aware of, records what time certain posters are online and then ridicules and taunts them, especially if the posters are online late at night or the weekend.

So its not surprising some people choose to "hide" or be a "guest"

Sad to hear that this is taking place. With that in mind you can understand why some members choose to remain hidden.

Fudge likes this

It is true that people have often been ridiculed for the amount of time they appear to be online viewing and posting on fora.  I guess that some people do not want to attract the attention of anyone who would make a note of that and use the knowledge as a weapon to denigrate others.

Terminator likes this

This is what shows as of a couple of minutes ago:

8 members, 50 guests, 2 anonymous users   (See full list)

I have always assumed the guests were perhaps people who were online checking cruises out.

Sad to hear that this is taking place. With that in mind you can understand why some members choose to remain hidden.

Yes Portside, its very sad.. and you would be VERY surprised to find out who does the monitoring/recording..and then re -posts it, to try belittle and taunt others.

Fudge likes this

I have seen this with my own eyes and whilst I understand that at times it was [probably] a tool used to reveal those who were thought to be 'trolls', it was a practice which should have been stamped on immediately by admin, because it was definitely stalking and used to 'shame' and humiliate people.