Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest suespud

Beautiful Yorkshire.

96 posts in this topic

Being a geordie through and through and very proud of my roots, and where our family home is..(Jarrow) I must say however I am very happy that we are going to have a bolt hole in Yorkshire!!

My OH has moved around the British Isles a fair bit the last 15 years...and we have had apartments in London, Caswell Bay..(near Swansea) only yards from the beach...with a huge balcony overlooking the sea..( brought back memories of our aft cabin on Oceana all those years ago) Then a fab apartment in Meryton Windsor...with huge gardens..and very close to Lego Land ...our family and friends loved coming to stay..very handy..lol

But now because my OH has landed a fab job in Leeds we now have a lovely little apartment in a village very close to Wetherby.

Cant wait to go to al those places again, that we visited when our kids were young.....Harrogate, Skipton, Whitby..Scarborough..York...and all those little villages in the Yorkshire Dales..

Although I visit York quite a lot to meet up with a cruise friend...(normally dont move out of Hotel bar)

Excited or What...lolol

As a born and bred Yorkshireman (Sheffield), welcome. We love York and Scarborough, but make sure you go to Filey as well, a lovely little seaside town.

And when you are out and about meeting the locals don't forget - you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much !

harley1, TraceyA and DavidH like this

As a born and bred Yorkshireman (Sheffield), welcome. We love York and Scarborough, but make sure you go to Filey as well, a lovely little seaside town.

And when you are out and about meeting the locals don't forget - you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much !

Dont think I have ever been to Filey, is that close to Flamingo Land?

TraceyA likes this

I'm a Yorkshire lass, born and bred and I know my county has some wonderful places and countryside to see.   Harewood House in Leeds, oh there are too many to mention - Haworth (Bronte Parsonage) and Betty's Tea Rooms in Harrogate of course, and Leeds - Champagne and cocktail bars, good shops (inc Harvey Nichols).  What fun you will have !

I'm a Yorkshire lass, born and bred and I know my county has some wonderful places and countryside to see.   Harewood House in Leeds, oh there are too many to mention - Haworth (Bronte Parsonage) and Betty's Tea Rooms in Harrogate of course, and Leeds - Champagne and cocktail bars, good shops (inc Harvey Nichols).  What fun you will have !

We had an apartment lined up just 100yds from Harewood House, but it fell though. It would have been a bit nearer to where my OH works.

I have visited a Champagne bar in Leeds, with a couple of cruise friends and we drank Winston Churchills favourite champagne (cant remember what it was called) and we went to Harvey Nichols.

Isn't that what all girls do when they get together...lol

Nice memories.

Filey is about 5 miles south of Scarborough. If you're a champagne girl it might be a bit quiet but well worth an extra 10 minute drive.

Winston Churchill drank Pol Rogers Spud ;) and visit Roundhay Park it is beautiful as is Temple Newsham

That's it Jacz..Thanks.

I will have to make a list of the places to visit!!

Hello Spud , from one very good  Yorkshire lady  born and breed through and through. Welcome to God's own County!

I  can probably guess what village you may well be moving to. If it is near Wetherby. The nearest  village is Clifford,  and it is where my  husband lived when we met and we were first  married and where we both lived after getting married.  I used to walk to work each morning into Boston Spa another lovely Spa Town three miles outside Wetherby. It is around 40 mins into Leeds and I often took the express bus to save parking in Leeds.   This area is  known as the golden triangle as it is twix between York, Leeds & Harrogate.

We also had an apartment in the centre of Skipton for years, bang in the middle and on the Leeds Liverpool canal.  Yorkshire has some wonderful counrtyside and the Dales are just stunning!  
 I was in Leeds a few weeks ago and we had a great night out with some friends I know from cruising Cunard. We went to Jamie Oliver's in park Row Leeds.  It was a while since ihad been in Leeds and it was strange to see the famous Yorkshire Post building where my husband spent all his working life, now demolished and the famous clock tower gone!  So hee up! lass get thee flat cap out  and ya clogs on smile.png Welcome to Yorkshire and when you fly  make sure you fly Yorkshire Airlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg.

TraceyA, Sailaway and wheels36 like this

If you are going to head to the coast you should visit Whitby and Staithes, the small fishing village  where Captain James Cook came from and,  Whitby where he set sail on HMS Endeavour to discover the new world.

Whitby with it's fishing boats, and smoked herring houses and the 199 steps leading to the church . But the best thing about Whitby is the  Magpie  fish restaurant .  There are queues every day  to get inside but it worth  the wait.  

TraceyA and DavidH like this

Hello Spud , from one very good  Yorkshire lady  born and breed through and through. Welcome to God's own County!

I  can probably guess what village you may well be moving to. If it is near Wetherby. The nearest  village is Clifford,  and it is where my  husband lived when we met and we were first  married and where we both lived after getting married.  I used to walk to work each morning into Boston Spa another lovely Spa Town three miles outside Wetherby. It is around 40 mins into Leeds and I often took the express bus to save parking in Leeds.   This area is  known as the golden triangle as it is twix between York, Leeds & Harrogate.

We also had an apartment in the centre of Skipton for years, bang in the middle and on the Leeds Liverpool canal.  Yorkshire has some wonderful counrtyside and the Dales are just stunning!  

I was in Leeds a few weeks ago and we had a great night out with some friends I know from cruising Cunard. We went to Jamie Oliver's in park Row Leeds.  It was a while since ihad been in Leeds and it was strange to see the famous Yorkshire Post building where my husband spent all his working life, now demolished and the famous clock tower gone!  So hee up! lass get thee flat cap out  and ya clogs on smile.png Welcome to Yorkshire and when you fly  make sure you fly Yorkshire Airlines

Broadly based on Jet 2

We had an apartment lined up just 100yds from Harewood House, but it fell though. It would have been a bit nearer to where my OH works.

I have visited a Champagne bar in Leeds, with a couple of cruise friends and we drank Winston Churchills favourite champagne (cant remember what it was called) and we went to Harvey Nichols.

Isn't that what all girls do when they get together...lol

Nice memories.

You two old friends  should get on like a house on fire then.

I shall look forward to the photos sipping champagne in York.

Actually the only time I have ever been to Yorkshire is to watch football.wink.png

Good morning MaggieMou.

You must be the only Yorkshire Lady who doesn't moan about having to travel to Southampton to join a cruise.

Loved the video.

I was in Leeds a few weeks ago and we had a great night out with some friends I know from cruising Cunard. We went to Jamie Oliver's in park Row Leeds.  It was a while since ihad been in Leeds and it was strange to see the famous Yorkshire Post building where my husband spent all his working life, now demolished and the famous clock tower gone!  So hee up! lass get thee flat cap out  and ya clogs on :) Welcome to Yorkshire and when you fly  make sure you fly Yorkshire Airlines

Hi Maggie, I will look at Yorkshire Airlines...lolol

Love Skipton, we had our first family holiday there..when our kids were babies.

We do know Whitby and Staithes..my OH camped there when he was at school..so it holds many good memories.

Sue.

Broadly based on Jet 2

I think NOT! I actually flew Jet 2.com recently and there was not band playing calypso music No mushy peas  and no big fat trolly dollies. I flew into Leeds/Bradford from Cyprus where I live and it was a good flight . Good on board crew,  no frills, no mushy peas as I said  but good old Yorkshire Sea Brooks Crisps smile.png ( they are the best crisps)

I did have to laugh though when we sat down in our seats and the cabin steward said in broad Yorkshire. " Have ya paid to sit in these seats?" to which my husband replied we certainly have . ( they were the extra leg room seats) He steward said " Ya'd be surprise  how many don't and I have  to ell 'um to  B**gg**  off.  I turned to my Husband and said Welcome to Yorkshire Airline. smile.png It was actually a good  flight and better than Easy Jet which is not hard , but  we have little choice from the island these days.

TraceyA and wheels36 like this

Good morning MaggieMou.

You must be the only Yorkshire Lady who doesn't moan about having to travel to Southampton to join a cruise.

Loved the video.

No point moaning otherwise we 'd never get to cruise. We have  to get to the Uk let alone Southampton and not an easy thing to do especially with all my luggage when we go world cruising. Easy Jet charge you if you are half a kilo over weight (£10 ) so we have to pay as much as you would for a 2 week cruise in access baggage alone. I look at it as as part of the cost of cruising. :)  Well a girl needs all her shoes with her.:)

You two old friends  should get on like a house on fire then.

I shall look forward to the photos sipping champagne in York.

sorry, I don't quite understand..."two old friends"??

I think NOT! I actually flew Jet 2.com recently and there was not band playing calypso music No mushy peas  and no big fat trolly dollies. I flew into Leeds/Bradford from Cyprus where I live and it was a good flight . Good on board crew,  no frills, no mushy peas as I said  but good old Yorkshire Sea Brooks Crisps smile.png ( they are the best crisps)

I did have to laugh though when we sat down in our seats and the cabin steward said in broad Yorkshire. " Have ya paid to sit in these seats?" to which my husband replied we certainly have . ( they were the extra leg room seats) He steward said " Ya'd be surprise  how many don't and I have  to ell 'um to  B**gg**  off.  I turned to my Husband and said Welcome to Yorkshire Airline. smile.png It was actually a good  flight and better than Easy Jet which is not hard , but  we have little choice from the island these days.

Good morning Maggie,

I did spot the reference to "Island of Aphrodite".

Cannot agree on Seabrooks as I think that they have "gone down the pan" over the last twenty years (now too greasy), while that awful XL brand has re-emerged as McCoys at the top end of the market.

I should not really have criticised Jet2 as I have never flown with them, even though Leeds/Bradford Airport is relatively convenient for me. I have however had no choice with regards to regularly flying on business with other airlines that fly "old bangers" (e.g. SAS MD80s), and the experiences overall were not happy ones.

The last time I checked on the Jet2 fleet age it was in excess of 22 years (though well disguised with paint and new seats), so for me it's Easyjet or Ryanair with an average age of under 4 years.

Good morning Maggie,

I did spot the reference to "Island of Aphrodite".

Cannot agree on Seabrooks as I think that they have "gone down the pan" over the last twenty years (now too greasy), while that awful XL brand has re-emerged as McCoys at the top end of the market.

I should not really have criticised Jet2 as I have never flown with them, even though Leeds/Bradford Airport is relatively convenient for me. I have however had no choice with regards to regularly flying on business with other airlines that fly "old bangers" (e.g. SAS MD80s), and the experiences overall were not happy ones.

The last time I checked on the Jet2 fleet age it was in excess of 22 years (though well disguised with paint and new seats), so for me it's Easyjet or Ryanair with an average age of under 4 years.

I guess things do  change and as you say Seabrook have gone down the pan. Wonder if that's the frying pan? ;)  I had  not seen them around for years till I boarded the Jet 2 flight, and they had them as a snack.  There again I have lived over seas for  a very long time so not up to speed on crisps  really. I am no expert on Jet 2  either only having used them a couple of times over the  years,  but they were no  worse IMO than Easy Jet who now have the most slots here for Cyprus flights especially since our National  Carrier went Belly up in January this year.  So long as we get there in one piece that is all that matters and they don't loose my luggage with my shoes in. :)