Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheilakelly

Recently Widowed,

8 posts in this topic

My sister, widowed , went and still goes on the Hebridean Princess, around the Scottish Isles, very expensive but good for dipping the toe in the water for solo crusing.  Only has about 40 passengers and the singles all sit together with Captain...... you'll soon make friends!.  I'm divorced and we go together on Cunard now, love it. Although 2000+ passengers it never feels like it. Sadly the old Hibridean Spirit has gone but now gone, but now owned - I think my Swan Hellenic - they have smaller ships, and single cabins I believe.

daniel2306 likes this

Hi SheilaKelly, I'm really sorry to hear of your sad loss.

I remember speaking to a lovely elderly lady on our Fred Olsen cruise on Boudicca last year - she said she loved travelling on her own on Freds ships. She found it easy to make friends and there were opportunities for her to meet other single people onboard. Personally, I found the staff and other passengers very friendly and it was easy to start conversations and because it was a smaller ship, you saw these people again quite often and could build up a rapport with these ones within a few days. Maybe this would be a good place to start your single cruising journey? They're reasonably priced and the food is superb.

i know a gentleman that recently lost his wife, they had always cruised and he was very apprehensive about going on his own, he went on balmoral with fred olsen and really enjoyed it, he made friends with other single passengers and is now looking forward to more cruises in the future

daniel2306 and doelearog like this

I have the pleasure of helping infirmed passengers onto ships and I have met several widowed folk who are undertaking their first cruise without their partner. Their anxiety has been very real but when I have bumped into them at the end of the cruise they have all said how much they enjoyed the cruise and how kind people had been. Like getting through the first year's anniversaries (birthdays/Christmas etc)the first cruise is difficult but once done life can start to be rebuilt.

daniel2306 and Firefly like this

Shelia,

I am so very sorry for your lost.  I know a bit of how you feel as I posted a similar post to yours after loosing my lovely husband in 2008.

Like you I just wanted friends, to be able to go on a cruise and have similar ladies to chat to.  Well, I was encouraged to cruise my many ladies on what was then the P&O forum.

So, I cruised for the first time with a friend, never again, realised that I was too stuck in my ways to share.  So from then on I cruised on my own with P&0 every year since and one  year with Cunard.

I can honestly say that I have always had a great time, and have met many people that I am still in touch with.  For me P&O are the best.  There are morning sometimes evening meetings for solo passengers.  Some of the ships reserve a table for afternoon tea for solo passengers. 

For me Cunard gave a whole new meaning for the solo passenger meeting (I went twice).  It was just me!  Not even any staff (this would not happen on P&O. 

There are some 'rules' that I follow which work for me.  This would depend on what you want and need.

1.  Choose a large ship then you never feel on your own (my favourite P&O Azura)

2.  When booking ask to be seated on a large table with other solo passengers.

3.  Go to the solo on board meetings at least once at start of cruise.

4.. Go to the afternoon tea solo table at least once at start of cruise.

5.  Keep an eye out for cruise forums with a solo passenger section (not sure if there is one on this forum).

6.  On a sea day when everywhere is crowed whenever you go to the café or a bar do not sit on a empty table for two.  Go and sit on a

large table then others will join you as they have no choice.  I have met lovely people doing this.  No just other solo's but very, very

caring couples too...I have been 'adopted' at least three times now.

I urge you to cruise again.  It is such a safe place for a woman on her own.  You will always feel the loss of your husband, but there is a beautiful world out there to be enjoyed.

doelearog, daniel2306 and Firefly like this