Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

Do You Understand Your Luggage Allowances?

7 posts in this topic

Baggage allowance is the bane of many a traveller.  This is why a UK departure can be bliss as you don’t have to worry or restrict yourself on what you take, but when you fly this is a very different story.  Each airline can be different, but it’s the hand luggage restrictions that could changing again to unify the inconsistencies with different carriers..

Several major Airlines have agreed a new optimum size for carry-on bags which is smaller than most currently allow (even Ryanair) at

55 x 35 x 20cm. 

At the moment no UK airline has advised if it will follow suit but I’d still check before any flight!

wheels36 likes this

Baggage allowance is the bane of many a traveller.  This is why a UK departure can be bliss as you don’t have to worry or restrict yourself on what you take, but when you fly this is a very different story.  Each airline can be different, but it’s the hand luggage restrictions that could changing again to unify the inconsistencies with different carriers..

Several major Airlines have agreed a new optimum size for carry-on bags which is smaller than most currently allow (even Ryanair) at

55 x 35 x 20cm. 

At the moment no UK airline has advised if it will follow suit but I’d still check before any flight!

Problem is that there is insufficient luggage space to take the existing size when everyone brings a case on board.

I have always thought it was the wrong way round and hold luggage should be inclusive, and cabin luggage over and above the size required for valuables, paid for.

RiverSong likes this

I quite agree with your comments,there have been occasions when we have boarded a flight seeing passengers carrying all sorts of luggage aboard then moving bags around to fit there's in,the sooner they are stricter the better.wink.png

RiverSong likes this

What about having a weight restriction for people…. A combined weight of person plus luggage could be allowed to make things fairer for those who want to take more luggage…..   I speak in jest by the way…

wheels36 likes this

What about having a weight restriction for people…. A combined weight of person plus luggage could be allowed to make things fairer for those who want to take more luggage…..   I speak in jest by the way…

Hi Pesky, Have to say I like the way that you introduce a hugely contentious issue then ad the "jest" comment at the end.

One American airline introduced this to much controversy, but I am not sure that it "stood it's ground".

If it were a common sense issue you could argue, "why should I pay through the nose" for being a few pounds over with my luggage when the guy sitting next to me (note the diplomatic reference to guy) weighs 25 stone and is paying zero fuel premium.

I was once on a flight where a relatively young man weighing at least 30 stone would not fit into his seat and the flight was delayed about 30 minutes (and unfortunately sitting opposite me in the aisle), when airborne he harangued the stewardess over the in-flight snack (you just could not make this up), and the stewardess gave him a dressing down that I ha never seen before on an aircraft

This would not not solve the issue of where to put your cabin luggage though.tongue.png