Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Advertising In The Cruise Industry

11 posts in this topic

Hi  P&O and Viking cruise lines have both been heavily advertised on TV this year, but most cruise lines have more limited exposure.  I was interested to see whether contributors to this forum are influenced by these exposures.  I can't say that Rob Bryson's antics on P&O's advert would entice to cruise on this line; in fact the very opposite.  However, the more restrained Viking advertisement did make me consider a river cruise holiday and indeed I have one booked but not with Viking.  Do some TV advertisements have the adverse affect to the one the company wishes or do you find yourself influenced in a positive manner?

No I don't watch TV advertisements so I'm certainly not influenced by them. I cruise with P&O for two reasons, the first because they do roundtrips from Southampton and secondly they do longer cruises. I'm not interested in cruises of less than 20 days. There are a lot of cruiselines I would like to try but they simply don't go back and forth from the UK and don't do long enough cruises. 

Land Ahoy likes this

I must agree Rob Brydons antics on the P&O ad wouldn't encourage me to book a cruise, the same with some other ad's they have an adverse affect on me, the one most amusing me at the moment is the Travelodge' one, a once never to be repeated stay a few years ago in one of their establishments was enough to put me off for life and yet the ad is very well put together so I'm sure very appealing.

Land Ahoy likes this

I often keep a close eye on advertising campaigns for a wide variety of products, brands, services etc as part of my job. I agree with you on this Land Ahoy. There are times when I see television campaigns from cruise lines and roll my eyes almost in embarrassment for them. A particular one would be Carnival's latest "hit the fun button" attempt to attract new customers. The Rob Brydon campaign for P&O does seem to have gained a great deal of traction and the fact that you are bringing it up means that although it has had a negative impact on your perception of P&O, you still remember it and it sticks with you. That's the mark of an ad campaign that's making an impact. Yes P&O do point out certain aspects of their cruise experience but there is nothing specific in their campaigns. It is designed to simply take a well-known face and remind customers that the brand is still there, going strong. There is no designs through this ad campaign to differentiate with other lines or to inform them of anything new, it's simply a reminder to the British public that P&O is there. For that, I applaud them. For the cheesy nature of the advert I do not, but hey, each to their own.

I agree with you on Viking. I think their adverts have been structured well and have been shrewdly place for them to succeed. I would say as much credit should go to the media planners and buyers as to the creative designers for this. 

I hate the Premier Inn advert with Lenny Henry snoring. I have to mute the TV.

Now that one I certainly agree on. It's an irritable advert from start to finish.

The Viking has been very successful, but is this the fact they have chosen to sponsor programs?  The way in which we watch TV has changed for most, you’ll fast forward through the adverts or watch on catch up, but by sponsoring its proving a better way to promote your company?  Even if you don’t realise it product placement is prominent in most shows and films.  On saying that The Carnival advert last year I found very tacky great in theory (families that don’t cruise, want a fun time!) poor in execution, didn’t really promote cruising, pressing buttons, exploding walls and who’s kids are that well behaved in a supermarket???  

I must agree Rob Brydons antics on the P&O ad wouldn't encourage me to book a cruise, the same with some other ad's they have an adverse affect on me, the one most amusing me at the moment is the Travelodge' one, a once never to be repeated stay a few years ago in one of their establishments was enough to put me off for life and yet the ad is very well put together so I'm sure very appealing.

We have stayed in Travelodges on our way to Southampton and after recent refurbishment are very nice for a pre cruise night. They are not always located in the best position and offer no facilities but we stop at a pub on the way for a meal and then carry on to Travelodge and always had clean bedd/room and tea and  coffee and never paid more than £30 for the night for 2 of us.

We use Travelodge, Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc, a lot, especially as they are usually located in places where you do not get snarled up in traffic, and in general I do not see much difference between any of them.

When booking I have only three issues, location, parking, and reception open 24 hours.

The Travelodge advert makes me smile as the puppets do the trick!! However I would agree with Wheels its all about the location and I wouldn't have a preference as to which so long as Lenny Henry was not snoring in the room next door!!