Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Eastern Star

2 posts in this topic

News following the tragedy has mainly been speculation regarding modifications to the boat, and the decision to continue sailing in extreme conditions.

However, Viking have intervened pointing out the tonnage/passenger capacity differences between the stricken boat and their own Viking Emerald that sails on the same river, ostensibly seeking to assure their own customers, but also probably suspicious that a lengthy inquiry and speculation would not be in their business interests.

The Viking information gives Eastern Star as having a gross tonnage of 2200 tonnes and carrying 534 passengers, while the Viking Emerald has a gross tonnage of 7150 tonnes and carries 256 passengers.

However you look at it is not easy to make any sense of those figures and if you factor in the longer length of the Viking Star and additional height, and add a double hull as well, you still get nowhere near to making any sense of the relative design strengths of the two vessels by virtue of weight.

The implication regarding capsize is that the light weight of the vessel raised the centre of gravity of the vessel to a point that would not be compatible with safe design by western standards.

The official enquiry may be lengthy, and could well focus on blaming individuals rather than accepting that there are deficiencies in design standards between east and west.

It would be a shame for this to be the case wheels. I do hope an enquiry takes place and the investigation leads to more stringent regulations regarding the ships deficiencies. 

On the point you make about Viking. I agree, I'm sure they have done this to partly reassure their own passengers of their safety however the cynics among us may consider this to be a clever bit of PR by Viking in order to stamp their own mark on being a river cruise market leader. I hope that is not the case but I guess we'll never know.