Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Kidd II

Keeping The Forum Friendly

43 posts in this topic

In view of all the recent snide comments which have been made about members can we start a reasonable discussion on how to keep the forum friendly and worthwhile. Members should feel free to ask what they think as genuine questions without the fear of the thread being highjacked for other members to point score.

What do you expect to see on the site?

This is an excellent forum , we have some very knowledgeable members who give us valuable updates and travel advice write excellent blogs and reviews ' also take their time to write and post 'how to do series' which I have found invaluable.CG

This is an excellent forum , we have some very knowledgeable members who give us valuable updates and travel advice write excellent blogs and reviews ' also take their time to write and post 'how to do series' which I have found invaluable.CG

Well said Falmouth Girl. There is so much information to be passed on.

I expect general advice, friendly debate a bit of banter and the odd moan!

Any tips on moaning AFC? wink.png

I'm a good listener. biggrin.png

AFC04/03 likes this

Oh yes the One Way to do...... I found the One way to do Windsor fascinating especially as I was living there at the time :-) wasn’t that the one where the antics of said poster got him banned from another cruise forum, by his own admission...the same forum he belittles on his blog since his banning..along with another forum he is not welcome on.

BOTH are much friendlier places without him, it has to be said.

Do you not read this bit of his blog??

Just go to Cruise Forums Revealed..scroll down..you will then find the two forums I am talking about.... I think you might well have a very different opinion then, it isn’t just the likes of me..... oh no the bad mouthing is also directed towards some well respected members of those forums too, it does make you wonder how one person can dislike so many people or more to the point why??

So whilst yes he might well post some really good stuff...He has another side that people like you just chose to ignore.

I am not the only person who has been treat this way by him.... the list gets longer by the day.

He is starting again on this forum... I am bringing it out in the open so hopefully it stops.

So YES..lets please keep this forum a friendlier place...

By not allowing this one to go the way others have when he starts with the snide, hidden remarks.

pennbank likes this

I fear it may well be too late.

Admin don't seem too bothered otherwise this would have been stopped on the other thread long ago.

Sad that this has spilled over from other forums that most of us have no idea what the protagonists are talking about.

Life is too short for all this nonsense.

DavidH, pennbank and wheels36 like this

Admin don't seem too bothered otherwise this would have been stopped on the other thread long ago.

Sad that this has spilled over from other forums that most of us have no idea what the protagonists are talking about.

I totally agree and I understand you might have no idea what it is all about. But there are members on here who know exactly what it is all about.

I am trying to nip it in the bud.

I have said what needed to be said

I thought this was the correct place to post this.

I am hoping that is the end of it.

pennbank likes this

Could not agree more.

I think that Admin. could help by winding up threads when they get childish.

pennbank likes this

I wonder if there is a way that the person who originally posts a thread can stop it. I would be very happy to do this as soon as the comments went off thread. It is a very difficult job for our friends at Bolsover to constantly monitor the site - I know as I have been both a developer and administrator.

Lets remember this thread is about how to keep the forum friendly.

It's not difficult to moderate a forum. I am a moderator along with 2 others on another forum, not cruising, and each morning and evening the threads are checked to see they are appropriate and on track with the original post. Sarcasm, rudeness etc. is not tolerated.

I am not involved or interested with what has gone on before with members on other forums and have no wish to be but do question whether it is right to mention about people being banned from other forums as there are always two sides to the story. Personally I judge people by the way they treat me, keep my own council and chose friends carefully which I have found has served me well over the last 70 plus years. As always, not meaning to be offensive to anyone, just my opinion.

Falmouthgirl, wheels36 and Embo like this

OWT said 'personally I judge people by the way they treat me.' Can you understand what it feels like to be treated badly by someone and how you would deal with it? You clearly have no idea what it is like to be persistently abused and maligned for a long time on a personal blog, with no sign of abating, without any right of reply, by someone who is using this forum as an additional vehicle to snipe at particular people. Ignoring the continued attacks has no effect. There is something quite dreadful about what motivates an individual to persistently insult and deride people.

pennbank likes this

One of the biggest problems of forums generally is over-reaction, and insufficient allowance being made for different personalities. Humour is always an option for responding to something that someone does not like, but it is rarely used. Were it used more a responder may often find that the original offence was taken out of context, or that the perpetrator is shown to be occupying the "lower ground".

Also people who are used to working in all male environments are always going to be relatively immune to what may be referred to as a wind-up, and can of course not necessarily be "in tune" with some of the more delicate sensitivities that exist on a forum.

However, that said the "triggers" that start a problem are always going to be of a minor nature (they have to be it's only a holiday forum), so for the thread to turn nasty more than one party has to have "lost the plot".

Falmouthgirl and Embo like this

I have seen how someone can pass off their comments as humour and if you take offence you are accused of not having a sense of humour. Patronising to say the least. Give people the credit for knowing when they are being sniped at. It is also patronising to refer to people as having delicate sensitivities. Banter is one thing but persistent sniping, baiting, accusations and public humiliation are an entirely different matter altogether.

pennbank likes this

Oh dear Solent Richard. I have just read your latest blurb on your blog which you dare not post on here. It is quite simple really. You won't get banned on here, especially if you control yourself and your compulsion to score points and don't give Admin any reason to censure you.

I have seen how someone can pass off their comments as humour and if you take offence you are accused of not having a sense of humour. Patronising to say the least. Give people the credit for knowing when they are being sniped at. It is also patronising to refer to people as having delicate sensitivities. Banter is one thing but persistent sniping, baiting, accusations and public humiliation are an entirely different matter altogether.

The term "delicate sensitivities" was used in a general term, and here lies another problem of the forum, "jumping to conclusions".

I would have no problem demonstrating "delicate sensitivities" on an unrelated issue.

Falmouthgirl likes this

This is not the correct place to post Spud or settle your squabbles you did that on CD I think you protest far to much and a every opportunity the poster has asked how to keep the forum friendly hardly the way to do so with your continual finger pointing.

This is Bolsover cruise forum not CD you only pop up when you want to put the cat among the pigeons , how about giving us some cruising advice instead of causing trouble. FG

Oh dear Solent Richard. I have just read your latest blurb on your blog which you dare not post on here. It is quite simple really. You won't get banned on here, especially if you control yourself and your compulsion to score points and don't give Admin any reason to censure you.

Fudge you really don't do yourself any good you sound very peevish, I have reported this thread .FG

In view of all the recent snide comments which have been made about members can we start a reasonable discussion on how to keep the forum friendly and worthwhile. Members should feel free to ask what they think as genuine questions without the fear of the thread being highjacked for other members to point score.

What do you expect to see on the site?

Going back to Captain Kidd's original question, I would like to see members behaving like grown-ups and asking for advice, sharing first hand experiences, their photos and of course a 'friendly' debate when asking for peoples opinions. I often 'watch from afar' when I'm in the mood & although I have no idea what goes on behind these forum walls, it seems to me that the same group of people who already 'know' one another and spend way too much time arguing over... well who knows what really? I've no idea.

Seriously people, life's too short to be dragging all of this hatred around. The sun's out, you're in a privileged position to be able to go cruising so... get over it and get booking your next trip! cool.png

Falmouth girl, you have no credibility given that you yourself was harassed online recently and was very upset about it. It is dreadful isn't it? And what if your tormentor Was saying things about you on a private blog where you had no right of reply? Just think about that. I've been a victim of trolls myself and have been banned from a forum trying to expose them so it was pointless. Someone has to draw a line and stop, either by not making comments in the first place or responding to them. But it's like a dripping tap, it never ceases and if you condone such behaviour then you are a hypocrite. Spare a thought for those (I don't care who they are) who are are still suffering abuse and humiliation without the right of reply except on a public forum.

Matilda, you will find that I also expressed a wish that hatred be left in the past where it belongs.

When I joined this forum I was sincerely hoping that the troubles from other forums would not surface on here. Unfortunately I was wrong. I make no judgement of who is right or wrong and have no wish to be involved and certainly do not want to be involved in a forum where in my personal opinion the moderation appears to be almost non existent thus allowing the situation to get to this stage. As a result I will say goodbye to you all until things change, if they do.

OWT

Message from Forum Admin

Dear all Cruise Club Forum members, it is clear that it has become necessary for us to intervene in certain circumstances currently arising on the forum. As Administrators, I’m sure you can all understand and appreciate the difficult position we find ourselves in. Our aim with the Cruise Club Forum has always been to enable a welcoming environment for members to share views, opinions, experiences, knowledge and more from their time at sea. It has come to our attention on multiple threads now that the friendly environment we strongly wish to maintain is under threat on certain topics and we wish to address this.

Until now, we have read all posts from afar unless we have received a direct complaint from any member. We have done this because we have always believed in the right to freedom of speech, meaning we refrain from intervening in discussions unless there is use of explicit language, personal abuse or severe confrontation. We do not feel we have seen substantial cases of this from individual members on our forum, rather a group of members that have what appears as a conflict from the past that has now found its way on to this forum. This is deeply unfortunate and saddening and we wish to put a stop to this at this time.

We shall be monitoring forum topic discussions in greater detail from now on in our attempts to return to the friendly, welcoming and hospitable environment we strive for the forum to be.

This forum was designed to share advice and views in order to help people looking for real answers from real people on their real life experiences. It was created to help cruise enthusiasts decide on future travel arrangements, on board activities, things to do and see ashore and much more. Please can we make this clear that this is exactly what we expect in the future. Whatever has taken place in the past on previous forums, we expect those issues to be now left in the past and no longer find their way on to this forum.

We would like to kindly request that whatever issues have taken place in the past on previous forums are left in the past and no longer find their way on to this forum.

We will not tolerate the continuation of such issues.

Whilst I welcome the statement from admin can I add that in my opinion and for what it's worth is that dealing with the effect never works...you have to deal with the cause, only then will members see that you mean business.