Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bolsover Cruise Club

Virgin Cruises: The People’S Cruise Ship?

6 posts in this topic

This week saw Richard Branson reveal the first of his plans for the Virgin Cruises fleet, with the announcement made that the cruise line’s first ship is to homeport in Miami when launched in 2020. While the announcement has whet the appetite of cruise fanatics worldwide, it was the decision to ask the public for their input and ideas on what makes a great ship that caught our attention.

Read our full blog >

Saw Mr Branson on the Andrew Marr show this morning, which he used as a platform to tell the people of Britain to vote to stay in the EU, please Mr Branson put your money where your mouth is after having just read that Virgin cruises will operate out of Miami, and how many of your planes fly to EU destinations. In my opinion Being based in Miami can only mean one thing Virgin Cruises will be geared for the U.S. market and we have all seen what that is doing to Cunard and P&O.

vamp23 likes this

With Virgin Atlantic having had cumulative losses in excess of £200 million between 2010 and 2013, and "space tourism" looking like a "pipe dream", you could easily conclude that Branson's focus may well be better placed elsewhere.

As said on another thread, I'll reserve judgement on this until I see more of their plans. It has the potential to be very good so I'll keep a keen eye on it to see the direction they choose to take. I disagree that P&O are geared for the US market and Cunard for that matter, they are far more British orientated, with the exception of the dollar currency on board Cunard. P&O have just added union jack livery designs to their ships so can hardly be targeting Americans. 

Sailing out of Miami will no doubt be seen as a method of getting a foot hold in the market. If you want to launch a cruise line you need to make a splash (excuse the pun). In this case, Virgin need a vibrant city on a global scale in order to drum up interest. In Miami they have just that. That is clearly being targeted as the first stage of the venture before expanding into other markets. It's would be all well and good for Virgin to try and hit a new market that is thriving for example the Far East or certain areas of Europe but they are unpredictable whereas the US market is not, cruising is popular and will continue to be popular from Miami, therefore limited itinerary risk and they are able to carefully calculate supply and demand.