Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

#armedforcesday

11 posts in this topic

On today June 27th its Armed Foreces Day, a salute to all the men and women that serve our country also not forgetting the families and friends that remain.  Whatever your local community is doing today please get involved and show your support,  we can only thank them for their service.

kerry304 likes this

They get little thanks for the great work they do and when they come back to this country I certainly think they should in some cases receive better treatment.

They usually get miserly compensation for losing a limb, while "incompetents" employed by the state walk away with huge pay-outs of public money when losing their jobs.

Life may not be fair, but it should not be this unfair.

RiverSong likes this

On the topic of armed forces/veterans, remember many of the major cruise lines offer discounts against your cruises in the form of OBD. Princess and P&O have both given me the discount.

RiverSong likes this

My grandfather is 95 years old.

He fought as a Polish freedom fighter when his town was devastated by Russian invasion. He was caught and sent to a concentration camp were he escaped and evaded Russian and German troops! He was then betrayed and ended up in another camp after months of living in the freezing wilderness of Russia!

He eventually escaped again to then travel by foot 100's of miles to join the 1st Polish Parachute Regiment and come to England to train for war!

After fighting in the battle of Arnhem bridge and countless other conflicts he eventually left the army to have a family.

He now lives in a care centre on his own, fends for himself with multiple alignments and conditions with very little help from our government!

He has been awarded the equivalent of the george cross by the Queen of Holland for his services and is at the top of honors lists and invitations to any celebrations and remembrances. Due to bad health he can no longer travel and it breaks his heart!

This government/country take his Army & pit pension away from him to pay for his care & lodgings.

I ask you, were is the thanks and gratitude from our so called government?

They would rather spend billions on white elephants and their own greed than protect those that once protected them!

#justsaying #armedforcesday #proudgrandson

On the topic of armed forces/veterans, remember many of the major cruise lines offer discounts against your cruises in the form of OBD. Princess and P&O have both given me the discount.

Good morning Geoff.

I brought it up only last week...

http://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/forum/topic/3065-armed-forces-additional-on-board-credit/

Unfortunately new threads tend to disappear quite quickly over a weekend.

I was Royal Navy. 

He fought as a Polish freedom fighter when his town was devastated by Russian invasion. He was caught and sent to a concentration camp were he escaped and evaded Russian and German troops! He was then betrayed and ended up in another camp after months of living in the freezing wilderness of Russia!

He eventually escaped again to then travel by foot 100's of miles to join the 1st Polish Parachute Regiment and come to England to train for war!

After fighting in the battle of Arnhem bridge and countless other conflicts he eventually left the army to have a family.

He now lives in a care centre on his own, fends for himself with multiple alignments and conditions with very little help from our government!

He has been awarded the equivalent of the george cross by the Queen of Holland for his services and is at the top of honors lists and invitations to any celebrations and remembrances. Due to bad health he can no longer travel and it breaks his heart!

This government/country take his Army & pit pension away from him to pay for his care & lodgings.

They would rather spend billions on white elephants and their own greed than protect those that once protected them!

I can’t agree more with what you have put, your Grandad sounds like a true hero and you have every right to be a proud Grandson his stories and legacy with continue with each generation.  Days like these are small steps but now more than ever we need to support our service men & women along with their family and friends.

J-Dog likes this

He sounds like an amazing person and has my greatest admiration. His exploits surely have the making of a best seller or a film.

J-Dog likes this

He sounds like an amazing person and has my greatest admiration. His exploits surely have the making of a best seller or a film.

He has actually written a book about it smile.png

Not that this is why I wrote the post, not at all!

The book was made mostly for his 13 grandchildren at the time of writing and sold locally.

A sort of memoir if you like so that we don't forget where we came from and the hardship he endured to make all our lives possible.

TRUE HERO!