Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

maud

Christmas Cruise

7 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of cruising to the Canaries over Christmas. Oriana is going for 16 days & Oceana 14. The advantage of the latter is that she will be in Madeira for New Year, & the fireworks are reputedly brilliant. However, my concern is will the ship be inundated with children, as it's the holidays or do they tend not to go on cruises at Christmas? It would be fun to go on Oceana as it'll be the first time. I found Oriana rather tired & a little drab when I sailed on her in March 2014.

I'm thinking of cruising to the Canaries over Christmas. Oriana is going for 16 days & Oceana 14. The advantage of the latter is that she will be in Madeira for New Year, & the fireworks are reputedly brilliant. However, my concern is will the ship be inundated with children, as it's the holidays or do they tend not to go on cruises at Christmas? It would be fun to go on Oceana as it'll be the first time. I found Oriana rather tired & a little drab when I sailed on her in March 2014.

Another point to consider is that although Oceana is labelled as a 'family friendly' ship, she doesn't normally come across as such. 

Therefore, looking at the itinerary and length of the cruise it may be worth considering, if Madeira is a major factor, that the expense of 14 nights  may put off the bulk of 'family' bookings.

Having done a number of Christmas and new year cruisesI'd take the risk and go with Oceana.

I'd say maybe try Oceana. I don't think it would be as busy with kids as say the summer holidays but also Oceana has a great kids area & in my experience they have so many activities to draw the kids in you perhaps wont see that much of them!

Hello - I spent the last two Christmases on Oceana and, although there were a number of children on board, there was very little sign of them. In fact, their presence helped to make Christmas so special. To wander round the ship on Christmas morning and see family groups opening their presents was lovely and on Boxing Day, the pantomime would not have half as good without the children being present. I would have no hesitation whatsoever in doing this again were I not otherwise engaged this coming Christmas.

Matilda_1 likes this

Thanks for your advice. I've booked for Oceana, but was horrified at the pretty hefty supplement for being a solo passenger. In fact they'd closed bookings for single travellers!!!!!