Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Safety Rails.

11 posts in this topic

Issues being aired in the US this week will include the failure of the cruise industry to implement "man overboard detection".

However, if this proves to be in the "too difficult tray" then an alternative could be to "foolproof" balcony cabins, possibly making them less attractive options. What do you think?

Safety rails are always a big debate. I had no end of discussions about this when I was involved in a college rebuild which included high level walkways and safety rails. Rails are designed for safety but will never stop anyone intent on climbing over them. I would hate to see changes to balconies demanded by a nanny state. If people are going to take a swim they will do it irrespective of safety that is put in place.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I don't think you will ever be able to curb the lure of the balcony. People like their own space and that is exactly what a balcony is - your own space. With regards to safety if someone wants to do something they will do it no matter what.

Our politicians tend to over regulate everything they can think of. If someone really wants to commit suicide there is no stopping them!

This current issue is not about climbing over rails, but the result of a strongly suspected "foul play" situation where the lack of "man overboard detection" allowed the evidence trail to go cold.

The only way I can envisage a 'man overboard detection system' is to have an electronic ray surrounding the ships hull in the same way that a passive works on a burglar alarm system. The problem is that every time a large bird flies across it the beam would be broken and activate the alarm system on the bridge.

wheels36 likes this

how about two cameras beneath the bridge over hang showing a view along the entire side of the ship with modern tech you can zoom in with great detail you would surely see if anything suspicious happened, however I am on big brother as it is in the UK don't think i would like them to follow me on my holidays

The only way I can envisage a 'man overboard detection system' is to have an electronic ray surrounding the ships hull in the same way that a passive works on a burglar alarm system. The problem is that every time a large bird flies across it the beam would be broken and activate the alarm system on the bridge.

Yes, I think that beams triggering an automatic lifebelt deployment would be the way to do it, but false alarms would cost the cruise line time and money.

The number of electronic devices would also create an unwanted maintenance headache.

how about two cameras beneath the bridge over hang showing a view along the entire side of the ship with modern tech you can zoom in with great detail you would surely see if anything suspicious happened, however I am on big brother as it is in the UK don't think i would like them to follow me on my holidays

These cameras are already in place but it would mean someone monitoring them 24/7.

ron likes this

or every passenger gets fitted with an ankle bracelet when they get onboard and if it gets wet with salt water then it sets off an alarm

They could put some magic chemical in any sea water pools to stop it activating