Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Solent Richard

Queen Mary 2 175Th Anniversary Crossing

5 posts in this topic

My wife and I do not normally cruise in July and August however when it was announced that Queen Mary 2 was making a special celebratory 175th Anniversary crossing it was a no brainer to be on her.

We joined many friends including 5 Bolsover Cruise Club Forum Members and 12 'We are Cunard Fanzine' Facebook  members. 

We sailed from Southampton on 2nd July and arrived in Liverpool the following evening...

18770141594_c7198fdea7_z.jpg

The following day, 4 July, Cunard had organised two concerts in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral. All passengers were invited...

18789611994_f52e98eb92_z.jpg

19118036773_29dd613907_z.jpg

We attended the morning concert which was repeated in the afternoon. Speakers included Simon Weston OBE, Carol Thatcher, Lord Steel, John Prescott and Michael Buerk.

Performances were given by The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, The Liverpool Cathedral Choir, Laura Wright, Jenny Williams and Jon Christos and the Band of the Welsh Guards.

On completion of the Concert my wife and I took the Beatles Fab4TaxiTour which was brilliant...

19116386674_8250da9cc0_z.jpg

Liverpool gave us a great welcome, though I guess I missed meeting one of my resident fans ( laugh.png )...

19738947785_9cb6d7354d_z.jpg

Late evening we headed off for our trans Atlantic voyage to Halifax and were given a rousing snd off by the many Cunard fans in Liverpool.

The visit to Halifax was most memorable: more about that later. Again though there was a superb farewell sailaway...

19744946721_ae15f4bede_z.jpg

...with the Canadian Navy giving us a 21 Gun Salute and dipping their flags as we passed...

19744946921_32e57b8197_z.jpg

At Boston we took a ship's excursion to Salem where, amongst other places, we visited the...

19667318281_dffc8b51a7_z.jpg

That evening we had yet another spectacular send off with an outstanding firework display as we sailed out...

19118383653_b546771dc4_z.jpg

There was a final sea day before our arrival in New York where my wife and I disembarked.

While we were onboard preparations were being made for a laser light show...

19748854081_ec88b9429a_z.jpg

...for the New York Sailaway.

Here is the result...

2A8CC5B200000578-0-image-m-66_1436972344

KeithnRita, Ahoy and DavidH like this

Hello David H,I agree with the word spectacular,and indeed would have liked to have been there.

Apparantly though it did not meet with the expectations of a lot of people.

Rodger.

DavidH likes this

I've just watched some of the videos from the cruise including the time lapse entry and exit from New York. It looked very impressive. Also watched Captain Osprey's first pitch at the Boston Red Sox game. Looked very pleased to be there and why not, I'd love to visit Fenway.