Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bolsover Cruise Club

Adios To Adonia

13 posts in this topic

Adios to Adonia: Our Favourite Farewell Cruises
‘Very elegant, just like a country house, very peaceful, no crowds’

‘It gets into places others cannot go’

‘Although she is the smallest, we think she has the biggest heart’

‘There is a very homely and restful feel to the whole ship and it makes you feel part of a family’

From transiting the Kiel Canal and the Amazon, to travelling lesser known itineraries to smaller ports other ships can’t reach, Adonia has built up quite a reputation along the way. The last of eight ships originally built for Renaissance Cruises, Adonia had enjoyed spells as Minerva II and Royal Princess before she eventually joined the P&O Cruises fleet in 2011, christened by the ultimate diva, Shirley Bassey.

As the smallest P&O Cruises ship gets set to sail to the Caribbean next year, destined for a new life of ‘voluntourism’ in Miami, we prepare to say adios to Adonia with her final farewell cruises. Whether you’ve sailed on this charming ship before or are desperate to see what all the fuss is about before it’s too late, these are the itineraries to best experience everything she has to offer.
Click here to view the cruises on our latest blog >

My first ever cruise was on adonia! i think its such a beautiful ship however i think its new adventure is going to be very sucessful! Good luck adonia!

Will be interesting to see what P&O do once Adonia leaves, whether they will leave that part of their repertoire behind or welcome a new small size ship addition to the fleet. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed if they don't and it's no coincidence that Fred Olsen appear to be doing very well. I can imagine many P&O followers will turn their attentions to Fred Olsen for a smaller ship and different itineraries.

My sister did a Fred cruise last month and said how good it was as it went into areas that bigger ships could not reach. P&O really should have one small ship in the fleet.

I think in time P&O will introduce a smaller ship again. I went on the Azura and people were complaining she was far too big!! There is always a market for smaller ships and from what I have read there are a lot of people who are disappointed she is going.

We were hoping to sail on Adonia late 2016, alas she will no longer be part of P&O.  I think P&O are making a big mistake in not replacing her - they, like most other cruise lines seem to be pandering to a younger, more family orientated crowd on increasingly big mega ships and we oldies are finding it increasingly difficult to find a small ship cruise of the more traditional type. The other problem with P&O which they seriously need to consider is a radical change to their itineraries - we have done six Caribbean cruises over the years with P&O and it is a case of same old same old - the Adonia itineraries were much better probably because she is a smaller ship.  Right through the season they visit the same main islands time and time again - what do others think?  I know that Viking have entered the ocean cruise market with a couple of brand new small ships but they do not yet go to the Caribbean - I live in hope that they will introduce this destination soon.

John71 and phil@theaks.co.uk like this

There is no chance of Carnival allowing P&O to purchase a smaller ship.

The larger ships are more profitable as long as they are filled, and the only way that will change is if people force up the prices of smaller ship's, and thereby change the financial realities.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Just received the latest flyer from Bolsover saying goodbye to Adonia. Well thats put the kybosh on next years plans, went on her last year for the first time and loved her and was looking forward to many more,dont fancy Britannia .have been on Azura but thought that she was too large, so may have to start looking at Fred

Definately recommend Fred Olsens Balmoral we were very unsure when we got on due to dated decor compared to P&O but the food , stage show and service where miles better than P&O we didnt want to get off .  They remember your names , what you drink cabin numbers etc they totally wowed us and even the captain ate in the buffet odd nights and always greeted passengers passing him. You were treated as individuals rather than numbers .  Cannot wait to go on again .

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I think there is over capacity in the UK market. Not a day goes by without P&O offering big discounts just to fill their ships. AS fares go down so do standards.  I feel the quality of the food on P&O has fallen recently. I like many others are looking at Fred for the smaller ship experiance. I visitd the Marco Polo stand at the recent cruise show in London & they told me that they had received a lot of enquiries from Adonia lovers!

wheels36 likes this

P&O need to get rid of Adonia as they have over capacity in the UK and the number of booking went down last year. Difficult situation when you introduce another large ship yet lose paseengers. Perhaps they should take heed of our forum and build a new, small or mid size, ship and improve standards. Profits are up so a better balance between service and economies of scale might just bring back the faithful.

I think there is over capacity in the UK market. Not a day goes by without P&O offering big discounts just to fill their ships. AS fares go down so do standards.  I feel the quality of the food on P&O has fallen recently. I like many others are looking at Fred for the smaller ship experiance. I visitd the Marco Polo stand at the recent cruise show in London & they told me that they had received a lot of enquiries from Adonia lovers!

Perhaps there would be no over capacity if northern ports were utilised more.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0