Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CEB

Cruise Insurance

13 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Cruisers

Can anyone offer advice on finding reasonable priced cover for a couple 66 and 64 respectively

I(the 66 year old) take medication for high B.P. and had a stent fitted 4 years ago,

no problems before or after the stent was fitted, my wife is medication free.

Would dearly love to cruise from Southampton to Caribbean but am being quoted silly prices for the cover.

Where do you recommend I try

Thanks for your help 

CEB

Hi CEB, my husband has stents fitted and I find the same as you 'silly prices' are quoted for insurance, we have given up on the USA/Caribbean because the last quote I had was ridiculous ( the premium would almost have paid for another cruise ) 

Whilst we now tend to cruise Europe/Med/Canaries etc our premiums are still high but this year I tried Holiday Extras as a lot of people seemed to be recommending them including several travel agents, their online quote was more than acceptable, I then telephoned to check a few things and once satisfied with the replies I took out their policy.

Of course no-one knows until a claim has to be made how good/bad any insurer is but for now I'm more than happy with our level of cover.

I have since done an online quote for Worldwide and that too was very favourable so unless anything changes drastically I'm hoping next year we will be back to the US and the Caribbean .. it still isn't cheap but it is acceptable.

Good Luck.

The other way of looking at it is that the high prices are "telling you something", and are possibly an indication of poor medical facilities at the ports of call.

My mum and dad used holiday extras for years, then when he had heart problems they looked around for other insurance but went back to holiday extras, there latitude insurance (i think its called) is very good.   number is 08007814085

It is indeed Latitude hturtle, not a Company I had come across before but then if you are not looking for alternatives you wouldn't.

The other thing I didn't mention earlier was we haven't been able to get annual insurance for my husband for the last 4/5 years, it wasn't a problem with Holiday Extras the only condition to the policy was that should anything change between now and travelling that I notify them but I would have done that anyway so it isn't an issue.

Thank you all for your replies, I will try Holiday Extras but like Dancing Queen we have stuck to European Destinations but would like to try further afield once again.

I am a tight Yorkshire man and like the replies I object to the cost of insurance that as one said would almost pay for another cruise. The amazing thing is before I had the stent fitted, everyone had no problem insuring me yet now officially made better they see me as a risk!  Must go playing badminton this afternoon!!!!!

Hi CEB, I sympathise with your problems obtaining insurance at a reasonable price. In 2010 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and since then obtaining insurance for an acceptable price has proved to be far more difficult. I am now well, in good health and feeling stronger than I have for a long time but I still experience the same problems and often get sick and tired of going through my medical history. Like you and Dancing Queen, I too have stuck to European waters when it's come to cruising for a while, partly for my peace of mind re my health but also because of the astronomical prices I have been quoted for insurance to head further afield.

Have you tried the insurance company that Bolsover uses or perhaps the ones that are in the back of the cruise brochures. I don't personally but at least you will know that you are covered properly for the cruise.

Hello fellow Cruisers

Can anyone offer advice on finding reasonable priced cover for a couple 66 and 64 respectively

I(the 66 year old) take medication for high B.P. and had a stent fitted 4 years ago,

no problems before or after the stent was fitted, my wife is medication free.

Would dearly love to cruise from Southampton to Caribbean but am being quoted silly prices for the cover.

Where do you recommend I try

Thanks for your help 

CEB

Good morning CEB.

Apart from being a little older than you we have not too dissimilar requirements and conditions.

I had a Mitral Valve repair in 2007 which needs to be declared despite the operation being completely successful.

For many years I have used Staysure. 

The reason I do that is because I am confident i don't have a problem in that particular area (after all, I did climb to the top of the Belfry in Bruges two months ago)...

18679646415_1f24f0963a_z.jpg

...and Staysure let you exclude pre-existing conditions which can considerably lower the premium.

So if you have confidence in yourself but are being hindered by insurance red tape, I can recommend this particular company.

By the way, Full World Cover for the two of us and me at 69, the annual premium this year was £239.60.