Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Canberra Bob

Civitavecchia

10 posts in this topic

If you are going to Rome from Civitavecchia the fast track express train is well worth looking at. There were english speaking guides on the train which goes straight to the Vatican Station. They guarantee to get you back before your ship sails.

Nikki likes this

Good advice Canberra Bob. I've only ever used cruise line excursions when heading into Rome from Civitavecchia but I have seen a few recommendations for this service on this forum. I shall definitely consider it next time I go as I have exhausted excursions and would be looking for a more relaxed approach to the day doing my own thing.

If you are going to Rome from Civitavecchia the fast track express train is well worth looking at. There were english speaking guides on the train which goes straight to the Vatican Station. They guarantee to get you back before your ship sails.

Hi Canberra Bob.

Good information.

I used a Rome train from Civitavecchia in March this year but wasn't travelling as far as Rome.

We got off at Landispoli because we wanted to visit the Etruscan Necropolis Tombs.

The question I ask is do you know what times are the express trains compared with the slower ones that stop at a number of stations on the way.

Cheers..

16748363597_5c56a24d51_z.jpg

Really useful info.  How many times have you done this.  We have never dared as always afraid of missing ship.  So I am now encouraged to have a go in October. Would be grateful for any other info. You have. Thank you, Nikki

Be very careful because when we went in earlier in the year the shuttle bus did not take you to the port gates and then a short 10-15 minute walk to railway station. It took us to an area further away so was quiet a walk into Civitavecchia centre so making it even further to walk to the railway station which is opposite side of town to shuttle drop off and even further to walk back to catch shuttle bus. Not sure if you can walk from ship to old port gates if you can would be just as close as catching shuttle bus then walking, of course this might have changed back again but very much doubt it it seems to me to be a permanent thing.

i have only done shore excurions in rome organised through the ship. Personally I thought they were worth the money as we didnt waste time getting to places or trying to find where we wanted to be. we saw much more than our friends who went on the same day and did their own thing!

Brian&Wendy likes this

i was told about the train and understand this is a great way of getting there. i went a few years ago and took the cruise ship coach to rome but did my own thing when i got there we  took the local train and covered so much of rome it was wonderful. i like to do things at my own pace so often take the cruise companys coach but roam around on my own.   

It appears that they have moved the drop off point in the docks since we used it. On one of the web sites it states " To get to the train station, you'll first have to get out of the port area. A port mobility bus takes cruise passengers to an enclosed area several kilometers to the north. From there it's a 20 - 30 minute walk to the station or you can take a city bus (about a 15 minute ride to the station, buses every 20 minutes or so)."

It's only about 1hr or so on the train compared with the ships tours which are about 2 hours to get to Rome so it may still be worth the effort.

We booked through a firm called Viator who we had used for a River Cruise in New York on 4th July and which proved better than the Cunard trips and in Hong Kong. The company offer trips at several places and appear to be reliable

i have only done shore excurions in rome organised through the ship. Personally I thought they were worth the money as we didnt waste time getting to places or trying to find where we wanted to be. we saw much more than our friends who went on the same day and did their own thing!

Glad to hear this as we have booked the 10 hour + excursion to see Rome in all its splendour. My only concern is the physicality of it as I do get breathless on inclines, but I may never be able to attempt it in the future so it's a lifetime ambition to visit Rome and enjoy it.