Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

David

Alesund

7 posts in this topic

We are on a Celebrity trip to Norway next year. We have been to all of the locations except Alesund and have heard that there is not much to see and I am not particularly impressed by any of the excursions.

I would welcome any suggestions for things to do, or are we better just relaxing on the ship.

Thanks

We visited Ålesund in May while on Celebrity Eclipse and in rained for most of the day.  We used the excellent CitySightseeing bus (the big red ones you see around UK cities too) which gave us our bearings, then got off at the Fjellstua viewpoint up Mt. Aksla before walking back down and exploring a little on foot.

There's not a massive amount to see but I'd recommend getting off and doing the bus or having a wander about.  Hopefully more will be open for you than was for us!

image27-700x525.jpeg

The View From Aksla

If you want to read about it in more detail, you can do so on my blog. 

Which ship are you on?  We've been on Infinity and Eclipse and absolutely love both!

Thanks very much for that info. This will be our 4th trip to Norway, so we have done most of the "standard" excursions. This year we are planning to spend more time in the ports that we normally rush through, especially Flam where there are some good walks.

This will be our third consecutive year on Eclipse, having done Nowrway and Iceland in 2012 and the Baltic this year.

Your idea of the bus trip in Alesund makes a lot of sense so we will probably give that a try.

Just so you know, the bus was about NOK200 (£22) for the day ticket (hop on hop off) and you can pay by credit/debit card when you get on.

Unlike the CitySightseeing bus I tried to board in York last week where the guy looked at me as if I was insane when I tried to pay with CC!

We have been several times to Alesund and particularly like the cruise into port early in the morning which is very beautiful and one of the best there is . It is worth getting up early for (normally about 6am) even if just on your balcony. As to thing to do I agree that the town is a little limited but a trip up Mt Aksla is a must and this is included on most other tour excursions. Of these our favourite was to a lighthouse on a nearby island which provided access to superb coastal scenery. The other was to a large aquarium and penguin park on the edge of Alesund ...... nothing out of the ordinary but a pleasant trip and relatively quiet.

oldbiddy1 likes this

just been reading the comments and if you have used a city sightseeing bus in a previous location, save your ticket produce it at the next port and this usually entitles you to a further discount which really makes them great value, doesnt even have to be in the same country where the ticket was used so ideal for cruising

oldbiddy1 likes this

Hi, we did a tour around 3 islands when we visited Alesund - one of the best tours we have ever done - sounds the same as Wilbo did.   The scenery was amazing as was the journey to/from the islands.   I attach 3 photos which I hope give a feel for the place and its surroundings - we loved it