Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

seawitch

To Tip Or Not?

92 posts in this topic

I have just been reading another site.Almost a third of the questions were can we opt out of tipping? Am I alone in getting annoyed with these people? Fair enough if you always eat in the same venue and want to tip your waiters but most of these people are on freedom dining and I doubt they are going to carry cash around to tip as they go.

Land Ahoy, nick1310, JH327 and 1 other like this

I have just been reading another site.Almost a third of the questions were can we opt out of tipping? Am I alone in getting annoyed with these people? Fair enough if you always eat in the same venue and want to tip your waiters but most of these people are on freedom dining and I doubt they are going to carry cash around to tip as they go.

I may be wrong but I thought most cruise lines don't allow the withdrawal of gratuities for those on 'freedom' dining.

If they do then they should change it.

Lynda and David likes this

Hi  I agree with your views.  I think it's about time the cruise lines that do not already incorporate tips into the boarding fare should start doing this.  Australians don't tip and all the cruise lines operating from this region now include these in the fare. 

I know Land Ahoy. When we were following QM2 around Australia last year I spotted the costs of QM2 doing the circumnavigation.

Wow, what a hike in price from the UK rate.

I don't think you can cancel tips on freedom dining. If you book freedom dining when you book your cruise then you have to pay gratuities in advance.

Yes you can cancel tips when on Freedom dining they cannot allow those on Select to do it but not give those on Freedom the same option auto gratuities is not compulsory. You do not pay your gratuitiies in advance when you book Freedom/Anytime dining on P&O/Princess.

Yes, P & O certainly allow the removel of tips on Frfeedom dining - I have done so for the last few cruises.

I identify a table in Freedom dining room which suits me and then ask for the same table every night - it works for me. I, am, therefore, able to tip my waiters personally - or not, if I felt so inclined.

We prefer freedom dining. The tips are added to your bill, and CAN be removed by asking at reception. Personally we do not remove them as we consider it cheaper than tipping individuals, though I would draw the line at paying for children.

If I was using select dining then I think I would remove the tips and give the tips to the individuals as they would be the same throughout.

Lynda and David likes this

Although I agree with tipping to some extend, for good service, I am inclined to agree that we are expected to tip for poor or mediocre service which we have on many occasions had. Gratuities should be included in the cost, we are cruising with NCL next year and are expected to pay 500 in gratuities.

Staff employed on P&O have a guaranteed level of wage in their contract that if it is not reached by including gratuities it is paid to that level by P&O so in effect if you pay gratuities it saves P&O (Carnival) money and means more profit for the company. I am sorry but in this day and age they should pay them proper wage and then if need be due to cost increase price of cruise instead of guilt tripping customers to pay gratuities to save them money.

How nice it would be if cruise lines paid their staff a decent and regular wage, then there would be no need for this vulgar habit of tipping,

Maybe a low wage is deemed necessary by cruise lines to keep down Tax and National insurance costs? Is this also why cruise ships are usually registered in the Caribbean so avoiding British and European minimum wage levels?

yelroc, AJF, loveholidays53 and 1 other like this

I've always been convinced that this is to appease our American friends who seem to want to, or are expected to tip for any act of service however great or poor. That may be to make things easier for them so they dont have to tip individuals. In practice reading other message boards many Americans not only pay the gratuity surcharge but still tip individuals handsomely.

My understanding of tipping as a Brit is that it is to reward acts of service over and above what you would normally expect, it is now getting out of hand, many American lines have gone up to $12 or more per night per person and even P&O are now £5 up around 65% from the £3.10 it was only 2 or 3 years ago. Sometimes I leave the tips on but not always, I make that judgement onboard dictated by my opinion of the service received. I am happy to pay the extra to have it included in the headline price then if I receive exceptional service I can reward it. As someone who has cruised with P&O a number of times I feel the standard of service dropped when automated tips were introduced some 4 or 5 years ago.

loveholidays53, shiper and ron like this

Although I agree with tipping to some extend, for good service, I am inclined to agree that we are expected to tip for poor or mediocre service which we have on many occasions had. Gratuities should be included in the cost, we are cruising with NCL next year and are expected to pay 500 in gratuities.

If the gratuities were included in the cost it would be at least 500 higher and quite possibly more because of of taxes and administration.  I don't really see any advantage to passengers, although the crew might be better off because all passengers would be forced to pay.  I suppose there would be an advantage to new cruisers who would not be hit with an unexpected charge, but experienced cruisers should be quite capable of adding the cost of gratuities to the cruise fare and arriving at the actual cost of the cruise.

I see posts referring to poor service on ships.  We have cruised on several different lines and never experienced anything approaching poor service.  We are not high maintenance people, but the day to day level of service has been good, and on the rare occasion that we have asked for something extra it has been provided with a smile.  If I was less than satisfied with service, I would discuss the problem with the appropriate supervisor and give them a chance to rectify matters before considering removing gratuities.

Shetlander and RobBar like this

We have never had bad service in a ship, some better than others, but never bad. I don't begrudge paying gratuities. Have just booked with R.C. for next year and prices included gratuities.

I don't think you can cancel tips on freedom dining. If you book freedom dining when you book your cruise then you have to pay gratuities in advance.

Hi Kite63 - certainly on Princess cruises, if you book freedom dining, you don't have to pay your gratuities in advance, and there is always the option of having auto tipping removed from your shipboard account.  I tend to always have cash/dollars with me, and always tip my waiters/waitresses on a  nightly basis as I'm leaving the dining room. I also tip other crew members at the end of the cruise, using the envelopes provided.  I would rather tip those that I have got on well with, and who have gone the extra mile to make my cruise a memorable one, rather than leaving auto tipping, that then gets broken down to many crew members.  I know this is kind of an emotive subject, tipping always will be - but to me, tipping is something I do for a good service in general anyway...so, I operate by the same when I'm on holiday.

Terry

Why do people find it necessary to mention that they tip on top of tips ?

Many Do not tip at all.

Its a bit like the beggar in the street Smoking and knocking back a tinny and asking for money !.

I know a few extremely  wealthy  people that prefer spending other peoples money rather than spending their own , but pretend otherwise.ohmy.png Thats why their wealthy !

Personally I would not remove auto gratuities, Its saves all the bother.

All this talk about poor staff etc on cruise ships is Crap.

There are hundreds of staff that are queuing to get a job on board. You only have to look at the jewellery that the servers/Stewards/esses etc wear whilst onboard. 

If it was no fun they would not do it.

Oldworldtraveller and ron like this

We recently cruised to the Baltic on Aurora and kept the automatic tips on our account. We normally tell the waiters that we have done this and ask if they definitely get this money they have told us they do and they think it is the best way as there are people who do not come down to dinner on the last night to avoid paying if tips are discretionary. Previously we told our cabin steward the same and we were told they only get the full amount if we give them excellent marks on the review at the end of the cruise. This year we did not mention it and although we had the best cabin steward ever he was distinctly cool towards our friends on the last day (we did not see him) so whether he was expecting extra, we don't know. I think next time we will take cash and tip individually. We also never know whether to tip the head waiter as he deals with us for the diabetic menu each evening, also the wine waiter, although we think they might get commission on the wine they sell. Also what about the staff in the self service restaurant (which we only used at lunch time)

Personally I think tipping is getting out of hand with people falling into 2 categories those that do who often now seem to want to try and out tip others and those who are fed up and/or against it.  We travel to America a lot and get fed up with the attitude towards tipping whereby it is expected even after we have received poor service it is much better when we visit New Zealand and tipping is not expected yet strangely we still receive excellent service often better than that we get in America.

I am happy to tip for good service but I have just read in the documents received today for our cruise in Sept that it only goes to Cabin Steward and Restaurant waiters (head waiter, deputy waiter and junior waiter) what happens to those staff in the buffet areas?? surely they cannot just share the money from the obligatory basket put out on the counter at the end of the cruise. Here's a little story for you.... we always tip for good service but on this one occasion we did not feel that our cabin steward was up to scratch for various reasons which I will not go into ( a first I might add) and as a one off we decided to give the tips ourselves to the waiters and cabin etc and not pay the set amount. We did not want to complain to get the poor chap into trouble but left a lesser amount than we would have normally done in an envelope on the pillow before going to dinner on our last night (as we could not find him to give it personally). When returning to our room the cabin steward had left us a note and a page from the brochure with the daily amount circled- in other words you have underpaid me...well how rude. So from that moment on we pay the set amount and no more except to give to the buffet staff.., its not our fault that P&O do not give some staff a living wage. Hopefully P&O will not raise this further as some other cruise lines have.

Sinbad10 was quite right

,By adding an automatic graturity to cabins, is subsidising P&O (Carnival),since they should pay staff a proper wage

I have always given graturities well over and above the recommended amount, also when automatic graturities came about, I continued to give cash graturities to those who carried out their duties in a pleasant and professional manner (Stewards -- Waiters -- Bar Staff etc )

However,on my next Cruise which I booked in mid May as an Early Saver went down in price by £600 per cabin within six weeks, that is  done and dusted, nowt can be done, but rest assured I will remove the automatic grartuity as soon as I am on board so as not to subsidise P&O (Carnival) but will continue  to reward good service in my usal way.

Old Matlot

Tezza likes this