Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Balmoral Food.

14 posts in this topic

OOH!!! Harsh Terminator, clearly not a fan of Fred Olsen, not really their fault that they have more than their fair share of the carriers who haven't learnt personal hygiene!!

I would agree with wheels that the food is excellent & better than some of the higher starred competition.

doratheexplorer likes this

Hi  I am always surprised why some members of this forum criticise Fred Olsen cruises.  I certainly admit that their ships are old, but not as old as some in the luxury end of the market (Hebridian Princess, Sundream and the older Seabourn ships).  However, the food and service is much better than that served on P&O and the Britannia dining on Cunard.  The service levels are of a very high standard and the wait staff tend to have a smile on their faces which is always a bonus.

Oldworldtraveller and PamelaD like this

I have travelled on quite a few cruise lines and whilst the quality of service and general ambiance differ I personally found the food on Fred Olsen as good as any. I have never had to send a meal back which is more than I can say about some of the other major cruise lines. One night Pheasant was on the menu and whilst it is not to my taste I have never seen it on the menu of any other cruise line. Neither have I seen half lobsters on the lunch time buffet with giant mussels and Pacific prawns on any other cruise line. Unfortunately they have received more than their fair share of bad press recently but in my book they still offer good value for money and I say that having cruised on all but one of their ships, Black Watch, and some more than once.

PamelaD likes this

I have travelled on quite a few cruise lines and whilst the quality of service and general ambiance differ I personally found the food on Fred Olsen as good as any. I have never had to send a meal back which is more than I can say about some of the other major cruise lines. One night Pheasant was on the menu and whilst it is not to my taste I have never seen it on the menu of any other cruise line. Neither have I seen half lobsters on the lunch time buffet with giant mussels and Pacific prawns on any other cruise line. Unfortunately they have received more than their fair share of bad press recently but in my book they still offer good value for money and I say that having cruised on all but one of their ships, Black Watch, and some more than once.

Good morning OldWorldTraveller.

"... Neither have I seen half lobsters on the lunch time buffet with giant mussels and Pacific prawns on any other cruise line"

I have. In fact it is common practice to put such fare out on the buffets on many cruise lines. It's called re-cycling from the previous evenings dinner.

There is one cruise line that actually cooks such fare before your very eyes in their buffet...

8933195469_f96bb970d2_z.jpg

...Oceania.

And another that had probably the most magnificent seafood buffet everyday...

15411638782_face3c01d8_z.jpg

...Hapag Lloyd.

The ones that you have shown Richard are at the top end of the market. I perhaps should have been more precise and said mass market ships the like of which most cruisers choose. However it is reassuring to know that Fred Olsen are doing the same as the top cruise lines.

Land Ahoy likes this

The ones that you have shown Richard are at the top end of the market. I perhaps should have been more precise and said mass market ships the like of which most cruisers choose. However it is reassuring to know that Fred Olsen are doing the same as the top cruise lines.

All well and good but are you telling us that Fred Olsen put on displays and seafood like those I indicated?

They weren't the previous evenings left overs, that was lunch offering.

I see you mentioned having  pheasant onboard.  I remembered it was offered on 8 July in the Britannia Restaurant onboard Queen Mary 2...

20684849050_2bec128dfa_z.jpg

I didn't think they allowed peasants on board Cunard...wink.png biggrin.png

Hi Terminaor

They do, I sailed quite a few times with Cunard and I even have beer in the dining room in the evening

DavidH likes this

Seafood aside, the memorable FO meal for me was the "rib of beef".

No matter how skilled a chef, without quality ingredients they are "hamstrung", and the FO beef was not what would be on sale in your local supermarket.

Someone in FO management has taken a measured decision to take the culinary part of the brand upmarket.