Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Why Are Beer Drinkers Discriminated On Cruises?

25 posts in this topic

Hi  On most cruise lines there is an extensive range of wines to chose from, however, while beer drinkers (I include myself in this group) have a meagre number of beers on offer.  Is it that cruise lines think that the profit margins on wines is much greater and that beer drinkers are less sophisticated  than wine drinkers and will accept any old rubbish.  I am aware that draught beers have a much lower shelf life than wines but there are plenty excellent bottled ales available but most cruise lines do not stock more than a few of these products.  Would you like to see a greater range of beers or would you like to see an improved alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages of your favourite tipple?  I know that many cruises lines have a very poor range of malt whiskies (most do not even cover the four or five main whisky regions).

Hello Land Ahoy.I only drink ale.We cruise a lot on Cunard and I am very pleased with their selection.

I like Old Thumper,which is available on all Cunard.There is also Old Speckled Hen,as well as bottles, on draught in the Red Lion,and very nice it is too.I think there is also London Pride,acceptable,and another that,sorry,I can't remember the name of.

Just because we do not drink wine does not mean we are Phillastines.

Land Ahoy likes this

Hi  On most cruise lines there is an extensive range of wines to chose from, however, while beer drinkers (I include myself in this group) have a meagre number of beers on offer.  Is it that cruise lines think that the profit margins on wines is much greater and that beer drinkers are less sophisticated  than wine drinkers and will accept any old rubbish.  I am aware that draught beers have a much lower shelf life than wines but there are plenty excellent bottled ales available but most cruise lines do not stock more than a few of these products.  Would you like to see a greater range of beers or would you like to see an improved alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages of your favourite tipple?  I know that many cruises lines have a very poor range of malt whiskies (most do not even cover the four or five main whisky regions).

Good afternoon Land Ahoy.

How many beers do you want?

Beers, lagers, stouts, they are out there.

Certainly on P&O and Cunard I, like Rodger, have found plenty of choice...

10589700504_65656d2ba0_z.jpg

Indeed, both lines have outstanding choices in both draft beers and bottled beers, even commissioning one for their Anniversary celebrations...

19556168660_2798a97aec_z.jpg

Here's some more from P&O.

9188186739_d4a7191319_z.jpg

Actually I don't think it fair to equate beer drinking with wine drinking.

Each has their place in the consumption Stakes.

I could never picture myself drinking beer at a dining table of a cruise ship restaurant.

Fine to accompany a burger or whatever at the lido pool bar or buffet restaurant, but with 'fine' dining, sorry never.

I suppose the other reason for the lack of real ales is maybe barrel storage!!

Maybe the cruise lines on UK sailing could go down the route of A GUEST BEER, it certainly provokes conversation and maybe could be a worthwhile addition, even if only in selected bars

I suppose the other reason for the lack of real ales is maybe barrel storage!!

Maybe the cruise lines on UK sailing could go down the route of A GUEST BEER, it certainly provokes conversation and maybe could be a worthwhile addition, even if only in selected bars

I agree cruise chef, I think this would be a nice addition to see on board and would create a buzz every time it was changed. Like many of the posters above, I am an ale drinker and as much as I have my favourites on board, I would always welcome new additions to sample.

Hi  I much prefer a beer with my evening meal, I can't understand why wine is considered to be the correct accompaniment for "fine" dining, it's neither right or wrong it's all down to personal preferences.  I have eaten in reasonably high end restaurants in France and the maître de wasn't impressed by my request for a beer but in Brussels the sommelier was only too pleased to recommend some of his favourites.  In Northern Europe beer drinking and brewing is part of our cultural heritage whereas consumption of wine by the masses is only a recent event.  As the TV advert states accurately there's a beer for every occasion.

Hi  I much prefer a beer with my evening meal, I can't understand why wine is considered to be the correct accompaniment for "fine" dining, it's neither right or wrong it's down to personal preferences.  I have eaten in reasonably high end restaurants in France and the maître de wasn't impressed by may request for a beer but in Brussel's the sommelier was only too pleased to recommend some of his favourites.  In Northern Europe beer drinking and brewing is part of our cultural heritage whereas consumption of wine by the masses is only a recent event.  As the TV advert states accurately there's a beer for every occasion.

I agree with you Land Ahoy on the personal preferences point. I think it is entirely up to the individual as to what they like to drink with dinner. For me it purely depends on the food and often the company. It's always nice to share a bottle of wine. The type of cuisine will inevitably play a role in me deciding what to accompany it with. 

Land Ahoy likes this

Hello,I am a man of little ambition,but,I would pay some of the little money I have,to buy a pint for Richard and Terminator.As long at it was at the same time in the same place.Now that would be some meeting.Cameras at the ready.

Terminator likes this

Excuse me gentlemen , I love a glass of wine with my meal  but  I do not drink wine except when I am eating. If it is warm and sunny I am more likely to order a refreshing local beer. Why one or the other? every drink has its place, choice is great but if there is too many. I might want to try them all.

HALaP&O likes this

Hello,I am a man of little ambition,but,I would pay some of the little money I have,to buy a pint for Richard and Terminator.As long at it was at the same time in the same place.Now that would be some meeting.Cameras at the ready.

You know me Rodger, I'm game for a laugh. wink.png wink.png

Don't you just love Forum discussion.

The question was ..."Why are beer drinkers discriminated on cruises".

We've now morphed into the merits of wine or beer with meals. I 'luv it.

At least on this forum we're not complaining about the prices. laugh.png laugh.png

terrierian likes this

Alas Rodger it probably won't happen as Richard cruises in far loftier company than I can afford.

But I thank you for the thought...

Hello terminator,I have shared a dining table with Richard.I can assure you I am a good working class lad from the mean streets of Scunthorpe.

Hello terminator,I have shared a dining table with Richard.I can assure you I am a good working class lad from the mean streets of Scunthorpe.

But you can afford Cunard..at this time I certainly can't. .maybe one day. .

Not sure about the discrimination thing but I have certainly found that my taste in beer has changed considerably over the years. In my youth, Double Diamond was a favourite but, being from Sheffield, Wards was King (provided it was well kept). In middle age, the odd Guinness or two slipped down nicely. However, on moving into North Notts, Mansfield Bitter, or a pint of Mixed (preferably Mansfield Bitter and Bass Mild) became the norm. Up until the last 10 years or so, I wouldn't have given tuppence for a pint of lager but, the more time we have spent in sunnier climes, the more my taste has changed until I now drink beers such as Moretti, Peroni, Becks and Staropramen (a favourite).

Getting back closer to topic, I have to say I was impressed with the variety of beer offerings on our most recent Celebrity cruise. Particularly those included in my Premium drinks package.

Cheers!!

wheels36 likes this

Not sure about the discrimination thing but I have certainly found that my taste in beer has changed considerably over the years. In my youth, Double Diamond was a favourite but, being from Sheffield, Wards was King (provided it was well kept). In middle age, the odd Guinness or two slipped down nicely. However, on moving into North Notts, Mansfield Bitter, or a pint of Mixed (preferably Mansfield Bitter and Bass Mild) became the norm. Up until the last 10 years or so, I wouldn't have given tuppence for a pint of lager but, the more time we have spent in sunnier climes, the more my taste has changed until I now drink beers such as Moretti, Peroni, Becks and Staropramen (a favourite).

Getting back closer to topic, I have to say I was impressed with the variety of beer offerings on our most recent Celebrity cruise. Particularly those included in my Premium drinks package.

Cheers!!

My first drink on my last celebrity excursion was Corona...

17753755374_0b9df28052_z.jpg

DavidH likes this

Cheers!!

Quite a while since I heard Wards mentioned, the brewery site now being flats.

I once made the mistake of taking a visiting friend for a Wards, and had to keep reiterating that it was an acquired taste.

DavidH likes this

I think the difference between beer and wine is that there are a number of big brands in beer market whilst there are relatively few brands in the wine market.

On my cruise with Holland America in the summer I think that there were about 9 domestic beers and 10 imported beers.

Which beers would you like to see onboard?

If you haven't already done so. Check out Brodies on Britannia it has a menu of about 70 different bottled beers most counties represented. I managed to sample a fair few during my recent 2week cruise.

davecudworth likes this

Just three weeks back from the Queen Elizabeth. The draught was John Smiths which was good also they had bottles and cans. I don't drink canned beer as it does not taste the same. This said there still isn't enough choice for us beer drinkers.