Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wheels36

Fly Cruise And Baggage.

17 posts in this topic

We are thinking of a Med. fly cruise later in the year, but that of course raises the question of baggage allowances.

A type of cruise I would like to see on offer would be one that carried passengers who were perhaps not too keen to fly to somewhere like Barcelona, and picked them up say ten days or so later.

Meanwhile a second group of passengers who had flown out would pick up the ship for a Med. cruise, and the ship would already be carrying their luggage.

This would need a carrier to pick up luggage and take it from the passenger's home to the port and return it, but should be an acceptable additional cost.

We are thinking of a Med. fly cruise later in the year, but that of course raises the question of baggage allowances.

A type of cruise I would like to see on offer would be one that carried passengers who were perhaps not too keen to fly to somewhere like Barcelona, and picked them up say ten days or so later.

Meanwhile a second group of passengers who had flown out would pick up the ship for a Med. cruise, and the ship would already be carrying their luggage.

This would need a carrier to pick up luggage and take it from the passenger's home to the port and return it, but should be an acceptable additional cost.

Interesting idea.  In the summer when Ryndam was calling at Lerwick I did wonder if I could have used it to come home!

On a more serious note baggage allowances are not necessarily a problem.  We generally fly with BA when possible - one checked bag (at 23Kg), one cabin bag (again 23Kg), and a hand bag (again 23Kg).

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances

The allowances for a P&O fly cruise to the Med are 20kg hold luggage and 5kg cabin within certain dimensions, not really enough for a cruise when you have at least 3 formal nights plus general clothing.wink.png

Hi  I my experince the weight restrictions on fly cruises is not a factor for me I can pack sufficient clothes for any cruise even those having multiple formal nights, it's a case (pun intended) of opting for the mix and match approach.  I have purchased ultra light luggage, light summer suits etc.  My partner never even considered packing evening gowns which had sequins. Just be sensible and pack what you actually need rather than what you want.  If you find it difficult to travel light. numerous options are available, book business flights or the extensive rail network in Europe will get you to the embarkation port and you can always drive.  None these options have any appeal for me but by careful planning I have never have any problems packing sufficient clothes for a two or three week fly-cruise but I don't mind washing a few clothes in the sink but usually fill my laundry bag when a special offer is advertised in the daily programme.

One of the problems I believe is that P&O use holiday airlines where as RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, MSC and others use scheduled airlines who have a more realistic view of things. Fred Olsen charter aircraft so again a decent baggage allowance. Indeed if flying to Africa or South America most scheduled airlines allow 2 bags and some even allow 32 kg per bag. The charges for 'excess' weight on the holiday airlines to me is just another way to separate the traveller from their wallet. My daughter has a severely disabled daughter who at the age of 11 is still in nappies and has to have medications taken with her. 2 weeks ago she travelled on a holiday airline and was 9 kg over weight with the only bag she was transporting. Cost £90

Hi  I my experince the weight restrictions on fly cruises is not a factor for me I can pack sufficient clothes for any cruise even those having multiple formal nights, it's a case (pun intended) of opting for the mix and match approach.  I have purchased ultra light luggage, light summer suits etc.  My partner never even considered packing evening gowns which had sequins. Just be sensible and pack what you actually need rather than what you want.  If you find it difficult to travel light. numerous options are available, book business flights or the extensive rail network in Europe will get you to the embarkation port and you can always drive.  None these options have any appeal for me but by careful planning I have never have any problems packing sufficient clothes for a two or three week fly-cruise but I don't mind washing a few clothes in the sink but usually fill my laundry bag when a special offer is advertised in the daily programme.

We have to fly to take almost every cruise, since the alternative is a two and a half day drive to Florida. I can pack for a thirty day cruise with six formal nights in a 20Kg suitcase and a small carry on. Admittedly, my formal wear consists of a long black silk skirt with several sparkly tops, and I long ago gave up wearing something different every day. Mix and match is my watchword and like LandAhoy I use the laundry and wash a few things out in the sink. I have small bottles for shampoos etc and wear my heaviest shoes on the plane. Husband takes formal wear. We only travel with as much luggage as we can comfortably carry ourselves.

Sheila

Land Ahoy likes this

One of the problems I believe is that P&O use holiday airlines where as RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, MSC and others use scheduled airlines who have a more realistic view of things. Fred Olsen charter aircraft so again a decent baggage allowance. Indeed if flying to Africa or South America most scheduled airlines allow 2 bags and some even allow 32 kg per bag. The charges for 'excess' weight on the holiday airlines to me is just another way to separate the traveller from their wallet. My daughter has a severely disabled daughter who at the age of 11 is still in nappies and has to have medications taken with her. 2 weeks ago she travelled on a holiday airline and was 9 kg over weight with the only bag she was transporting. Cost £90

I think one of the problems with excess charges is that they are quite often a flat fee rather than a cost per extra Kg.  They can be high in comparison with the cost of an extra bag, so that the extra 9Kg to upgrade your bag from 23Kg to 32Kg is the same price as an extra 23Kg bag!

Ah Shetlander, you must must have muscles on muscles, as lifting the 23kg into the overhead luggage lockers requires a certain skill without dropping it on the person below. Which gym do you frequent as I'm sure lots of people will be wanting to subscribe??

wheels36 and RobBar like this

Theres always the laundering/dry cleaning services on board - so, don't have to take masses of clothes.  Can wear different tops with different bottoms etc , so, it doesn't look like you're wearing the same clothes :-)

RobBar likes this

I think that luggage is one of the big negatives of holidays abroad, and one of the big positives of a cruise from the UK.

My point is that there may be a market for cruise line innovation that removes luggage issues from cruising out of Med. ports.

RobBar likes this

In our case we live on an Island away from major cruise ports so flying and staying a few days pre and post is part of our cruising life.

Our carrier has now imposed luggage charges per piece and in economy you are allowed two pieces , the charges will vary depending on International travel or North American travel, No way are we allowed same hold luggage weight in the cabin plus as one person said , lifting into an overhead bin ,,, sure.

If we go past the 2nd luggage then additional charges are about $100 for the extra piece and if you go past the 3rd then it can jump to $200+

For long trips we try t fly business class it removes the charges and allows you three pieces each . Couse they allow 20 lbs more  per each bag  but I have reached the age where lifting 70lbs off a conveyor belt or onto scale is a way to give monies to the physiotherapist :)

Seriously we have found four pieces of luggage (50 lbs each) for two of us works fine on long voyages, our longest being 28 days cruise with 16 hour direct flight . Cabin luggage keep to electronics, meds , book, jacket

We always use a combination of  the ships laundry service and the DIY service available on ones deck.

Last cruise we used Cunard's White Star Luggage service to ship from New York to Pacific Coast , cost was about $150 for one and made our life easier in transport.

As mentioned earlier, some of the main cruise lines are offering luggage services to and from a port,

Flights to the Caribbean like Barbados air / cruise, once you get your luggage to airport , you will not see it till in your ships cabin and once picked up on last nigh on ship till you get off the plane

I think that luggage is one of the big negatives of holidays abroad, and one of the big positives of a cruise from the UK.

My point is that there may be a market for cruise line innovation that removes luggage issues from cruising out of Med. ports.

Very good idea it would certainly take the hassle out of joining your cruise ship in the Med.wink.png

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to pay the additional luggage fees than to pay the charges for an upgrade to business class. I would have thought that luggage charges would be a lot cheaper.

TPP We only ever fly economy so no it would not be cheaper.wink.png

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to pay the additional luggage fees than to pay the charges for an upgrade to business class. I would have thought that luggage charges would be a lot cheaper.

I normally have accumulated enough points to use Business Class though sometimes I did have to pay for one way

Recently I was able to fly from Vancouver to Heathrow and New York to Victoria in Business Class using my points. :)