Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Kidd II

Weather In The Baltic In July

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone help, please?

We are looking at going to the Baltic next July but wonder what the weather would be like. I have been in May/June but, for some reason, think July may be not as good weather wise.

Has anyone travelled there at this time?

Hi  Think of the "summer" weather in the UK, the weather anywhere in Northern Europe can range from cool to quite hot with unbroken sun to persistent rain.  You have to take sufficient clothing to cover everything as you would in the UK.

Captain Kidd II likes this

We have been to the Baltic 3 times May, June and July the weather has always been good.Although warmer later. If I remember my geography from school they have a continental climate (cold winters and warm summers) UK  we were told had a maritime climate (mild wet winters but cooler in summer than the continental climate) Although when we sailed in May the sea around Finland and Russia was frozen which made it interesting , but the temperatures in ports were  20-27 degrees C. July it hit 38 degrees C.

Captain Kidd II likes this

So would May be better or is there little difference?

Hi  Certainly May is a drier than the summer months in the Fjords but the temperatures are usually lower.  The Baltics are sheltered form the worst of the Westerly rainfall by the Norwegian Mountains.  I have sailed the Baltics in early/mid June and the weather was variable the first day in St Petersburg was quite warm and sunny, the following day was cool with persistent rain.  Just to let you know, the tulips at Peterhof were only just coming into bloom, suggesting that Spring is much later than the UK. 

We sailed end of June begining of July to the Baltics this year and the weather was very good we have been there 3 times now on a cruise at roughly the same time and in general had good weather, it is one of our favourite areas to cruise.

I think the decision has been made. She, who has to be obeyed, has decided on July which is away from the school holidays followed up with a return to Venice in September. Mind you she has also added a trip to France in May to remember our fallen relatives.