Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sheilaandmike

Oriana

50 posts in this topic

I have,  just come off another cruise, on oriana, and oh how very dissapointed we were, the ship is in dire need of some TLC, and how PO standards have dropped. We had booked in our favourite place port side aft on C deck inside cabin, we were also brining with us two first time cruisers, and oh how we had praised PO, and said what a wonderful ship Oriana was, lets just say that our new cruisers will never go with PO again, we were given an upgrade to an outside cabin on A deck port side Fwd, as did our guests, this was given for previous issues we had had, but now wish we had kept our original cabin.

We had two parties above us on deck that went on till midnight, both in the space of 9 days, so you were forced to  stay up no chance of sleeping. Our cabin the heating control did not work and it was far to hot, we could not get cold water out of the tap for teeth brushing, the toilet was so hit and miss, all these were reported but nothing was done no one came. We are in caribbean tier, so have been with them a while, we did not have the dedicated check in, nor did we have the relevant tier lunch. our guests were less than impressed, the water feature in the atrium didnt work all trip, a cabin not far from us was flooded, and it all spilled into the coridoor, one man had no water in his cabin for the first two days, the toilet near the spa a pipe burst and flooded that area, so clearly there are a lot of issues.

When we got onboard portside aft deck closed off all trip, looked like two big generators on deck, the sailaways were pathetic, conservatory lunches left a lot to be desired, as did the resurant in an evening. the ship its self looked really neglected, top decks where you walk were all cracking pieces were missing and had been filled in, and the worst was soon as we got onboard we were met by persons from the spa trying to flog you things, photogs were approaching you on deck, in Andersons, apart from meal times and the various formats of pictures when going ashore. there was even a table outside the riviera pool offering a "Pool Side Massage"  A POUND A MINUTE, WHAT ON EARTH HAS HAPPENED TO PO? have today cancelled my cruise for next year and will never sail with po again if this is how they treat you for years of loyality, rant over.

harley1, shipahoy45 and AFC04/03 like this

I have to agree with you Oriana needs either a major refurbishment or selling on, it is certainly past it's sell by date.

We always had a soft spot for her but that has long disappeared.sad.png

This is very disturbing as we are booked on her for next  April again.

We were on her this year and didn't have many problems that were not fixed very quickly. Plumbing seems to be the main problem but still have a soft spot for her

We were on Oriana a year ago, but reading this thread tells us virtually nothing about what has happened in the interim.

Terms like "dire need of some TLC" mean nothing, or to be more accurate means whatever you want it to mean. However, if for example a review stated that the carpet on a particular deck was stained and worn, then that would be a definitive statement that carried weight.

Similarly other terms such as "toilet was so hit and miss" need definition to mean anything.

Then at the end of your review you have a rant at the spa cost, and of course everyone is already aware that spa massage costs on cruise ships are high.

The review reads as though you had booked the cruise intending to use the spa and then been shocked by the price, but I doubt that was the case.

For a review to be fair it needs to have balance, and one that is devoid of positives is unlikely to fit into that category.

hturtle likes this

We cruised on the Oriana for a second time last year and for us it will be the last time. We realised we didn't like the ship but the main reason was the vibration it seems to have developed. We had a suite midship but even in bed at night there was a very uncomfortable vibration.

For us putting it simply we have no issues with Oriana as a ship or its layout and our last cruise on her in March 2014 we had no problems overall with the food in any restaurants on the ship our problems which impacted on our cruise was cabin issues including the following-

1) Throughout the whole cruise we had no clean water coming from our taps with constant black bits causing us to worry about washing or cleaning teeth.

2) Issues throughout the cruise of a brown/yellowish water coming through the shower which got that bad couldnt shower towards the end of the cruise.

3) Issues of numerous times of toilet not flushing on occasions and you didnt know until it was too late and then wait couple of hours then it would flush.

These issues were reported to P&O at the begining of the cruise and throughout and nothing was done oe anyone coming to our cabin until the last morning of the cruise when a plumber came while we were having breakfast prior to disembarkation.

4) One morning came out of our cabin and the corridor for a distance of 20/30metres walls and floor were completely covered in plastis sheets and water pouring through ceiling.

5) Throughout cruise many public toilets closed because of defects.

6) Buckets in Tiffany's catching water coming through ceiling

7) Blowers drying constantly for 2-3 days trying to dry carpet after water leak in photo studio.

On our return complained to P&O about issues and personal hygiene issues on a modern cruise ship unacceptable when you should get clean water to wash and shower in this day and age and without any questions offered me a serious amount of compensation to stop me taking it further after they admitted in writing that they had failed to provide a safe and clean enviroment in my cabin.

Captain Kidd II likes this

When a ship is that bad that it isn't really in a serviceable condition and they have the complaints of the passengers then surely it is about time they took it out of service and offered alternative cruises to those already booked on it.

I have only been on it once and that was for the 175th anniversary, it was bad then so goodness knows what its like now. 

We were on her in June, when the 2 containers containing generators were placed on the top devk. We were told about this in advance so we knew what to expect.

As it is 5 years since her last refit the ship certainly looks jaded and the pictures along corridors and stairwells that, I think Whitwall provided, have been removed and never replaced leaving the wall very bare. The walls also badly needed repainting.

The issues of vibration have been documented ever since the ship was comissioned but seems even worse than it did 5 years agp when we were last on her.

Food on board lacked imagination and portions were small. It was a very different picture on Aurora when we were on her last month and we could not believe how ships could be so different in terms of catering.

As with others I must say my OH has said we will not be going back on her which is a shame as we do not like the bigger ships.

Oriana's last refit was November 2011 because we were on the last cruise prior to her going in and P&O changed our 16nt cruise into a 15nt and changed every port of call for the cruise. I said at the time I wouldnt cruise on Oriana and only succumbed in 2014 because wanted the chance to see the Northern Lights.

We were on Oriana a year ago, but reading this thread tells us virtually nothing about what has happened in the interim.

Terms like "dire need of some TLC" mean nothing, or to be more accurate means whatever you want it to mean. However, if for example a review stated that the carpet on a particular deck was stained and worn, then that would be a definitive statement that carried weight.

Similarly other terms such as "toilet was so hit and miss" need definition to mean anything.

Then at the end of your review you have a rant at the spa cost, and of course everyone is already aware that spa massage costs on cruise ships are high.

The review reads as though you had booked the cruise intending to use the spa and then been shocked by the price, but I doubt that was the case.

For a review to be fair it needs to have balance, and one that is devoid of positives is unlikely to fit into that category.

what has happened in the intrim!! I would have thought my post told you what had happened nothing. toilet hit and miss = deffinition =some times it would flush but most times it did not, I think that is clear enough, water tap, could not provide any cold water, in other words only hot came out, was told that in the last year a lot of cabins flooded issues (water on cabin deck) seemed into corridoors, thereby lifting the carpet, this occured on at least three (3) decks/floors, bulkheads/walls badly stained with what ever a browinish colour. toilet flooded on spa deck sewage seeped out into corridoor leading to to deck, in at least five (5) different areas on the ship there was actually a smell like sewage, It was not so much the cost of spa massage but brining out on the deck and then going round to people sunbathing and asking if they wanted a massage, it was all the hard sell how they have changed since we last cruised with them four (4) years ago, and we have done fifteen (15) cruises with po. devoid of positives, whats that meant to mean? how can you be positive about the things Ive listed? It for me personally as a time time cruiser with PO so sad to see how they have declined, all my above issues I did report to the cabin stewardess, then to reception but not a thing was done. I have spoken with PO they offered me some compensation but i declined, my complaints are and were genuine issues, and not for material gain. So i have cancelled my next cruise with them and was prepared to loose my deposit, but they did offer me that back so that I have accepted. But they did also offer me something on Cunard, but I also declined that. Like I say my complaints were genuine, and not for material gains. So we have decided to pull the plug with them. As a port and seafarers chaplain, Im not about complaining for the joy of it or for gains but out of principle, in the hope that they might sit up and take notice, and do something so that future cruisers may benefit. 

AFC04/03 and ron like this

I went on the Oriana last July on the Artic Cruise one of the best cruises I have had ,I neither saw[ nor heard from many of the passengers I met] any of the above problems neither did I hear any vibrations.

The food was hot, the staff great there was entertainment all over the ship in all the venues this ship certainly never closed down at 10 pm as some do, I shall certainly sail on her again .CG

hippylin likes this

what has happened in the intrim!! I would have thought my post told you what had happened nothing. toilet hit and miss = deffinition =some times it would flush but most times it did not, I think that is clear enough, water tap, could not provide any cold water, in other words only hot came out, was told that in the last year a lot of cabins flooded issues (water on cabin deck) seemed into corridoors, thereby lifting the carpet, this occured on at least three (3) decks/floors, bulkheads/walls badly stained with what ever a browinish colour. toilet flooded on spa deck sewage seeped out into corridoor leading to to deck, in at least five (5) different areas on the ship there was actually a smell like sewage, It was not so much the cost of spa massage but brining out on the deck and then going round to people sunbathing and asking if they wanted a massage, it was all the hard sell how they have changed since we last cruised with them four (4) years ago, and we have done fifteen (15) cruises with po. devoid of positives, whats that meant to mean? how can you be positive about the things Ive listed? It for me personally as a time time cruiser with PO so sad to see how they have declined, all my above issues I did report to the cabin stewardess, then to reception but not a thing was done. I have spoken with PO they offered me some compensation but i declined, my complaints are and were genuine issues, and not for material gain. So i have cancelled my next cruise with them and was prepared to loose my deposit, but they did offer me that back so that I have accepted. But they did also offer me something on Cunard, but I also declined that. Like I say my complaints were genuine, and not for material gains. So we have decided to pull the plug with them. As a port and seafarers chaplain, Im not about complaining for the joy of it or for gains but out of principle, in the hope that they might sit up and take notice, and do something so that future cruisers may benefit. 

Maybe we were just lucky, but having cruised on both Oriana and Azura within the space of a few months I would personally opt for Oriana.

Burst pipes are certainly not limited to P&O, and there were half a dozen cabins evacuated on the Balmoral cruise to the Canaries in August.

We have cruised on Oriana quite a few times and have not encountered many of the problems talked about on this thread.

Now, if you were to talk about the Adonia then I could understand it, buckets in the cinema to catch the water coming through the ceiling, plumbing problems, non flushing toilets etc etc etc. It is the response of P & O staff that matters as much as anything else

hippylin likes this

I was sorry to hear your experience was not a good one Journeyman - on a lighter note it's impact on me  was reinforced by your avatar.wink.png wink.png

Oriana was my first P&O experience when we sailed two legs of her world cruise in 1998 from Tokyo to Dubai.

The other occasion was in 2003 when we did an Arctic and Fjord cruise. Both left us with great memories and we have continued to regularly cruise with P&O, in between trying other cruise lines.

This year I was wait-listed for a suite on a longish cruise on her to the States and Caribbean. It never materialised.

Maybe lady luck favoured me yet again.

sheilaandmike likes this

Oh dear, the Oriana next February will be our first cruise. We've booked a midship balcony cabin so it's cost a fair bit and I'm quite worried now.

GiGi

Oh dear, the Oriana next February will be our first cruise. We've booked a midship balcony cabin so it's cost a fair bit and I'm quite worried now.

GiGi

Stop worrying GiGi what you have to remember is what you read on a forum is only the opinion/experience of a very small % of passengers, it is a number of years since we were last on Oriana but I have to say it was always one of my favourite P&O ships and we have had some wonderful cruises on her.

Some friends recently did a short cruise on her, their first time with P&O they are avid Cunard fans so I did wonder how it would compare for them, they had a lovely time no complaints at all, lovely crew, great food, nice cabin, they said they would certainly go on her again if the itinerary appealed.

I do not doubt what the OP or any others have said as that was their experience but it doesn't mean it is/was everyone's. 

wheels36 likes this

GiGi

Don't worry! reading this foram page is annoying as i went oriana last year and she was beautiful! She's not a new modern ship by any means however thats whats lovely about her, she really is the traditional way of cruising! If its your first cruise you will love it!

The problem is, like all ships, it all depends on the officers and crew and the weather. If it is a first cruise experience then I am sure most people would love her. I love her external design and places like the Crows nest, which is far better than that of Aurora. It is when you have been on differennt ships and then go back you become more critical.

I have nener experienced the buckets of water or anything like that but still say she is, at best, shabby chic.

wheels36 likes this

X508 was a great cruise to Caribbean and USA. OK we has our problems such as a fire on board which lasted less than 30 seconds, but he company of fellow cruisers was second to none and the ship was wonderful

GiGi

To put your worries into perspective.

Oriana is a medium sized ship, the size most people prefer.

It has an excellent theatre, cinema, and the largest dance floor in the P&O fleet.

Service in the bars and restaurant is very good, food is good, and drinks are reasonably priced.

It is subject to more vibration than other ships, but if you have never cruised before you may well think that this is typical of cruise ships generally.

Two major issues that have been mentioned are toilet flushing and burst pipes.

We had none of these issues on Oriana, but on Fred Olsen's Balmoral several cabins were flooded and the occupants had to be moved to other cabins. However, I do not think that any of them were complaining much as they were moved to higher grade cabins. I think that we all have to accept that ships flex, and that burst pipes are probably more likely on ships than in land based hotels. 

I am sure that you will enjoy your holiday.

Thanks for all your calming words. I guess we will just have to go with open minds and hope for good plumbing !

I'm pleased about the dance floor as we have been having ballroom lessons and are hoping they have some dance sessions.

GiGi

nick1310 likes this