Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guest Solent Richard

Msc- Any Questions

19 posts in this topic

21200837989_a5c268fede_z.jpg

I have been invited for a days visit to MSC's Splendida later this week.

If there are any members who would like me to seek answers, or information, to their queries while I am on board I will be delighted to do so.

wheels36 and JH327 like this

We did a week on MSC Melody from Genoa in 2000 & one on MSC Rhapsody from Venice in 2001. They both had passengers embarking & leaving at every port that we stopped at so that it kind of resembled an upmarket ferry service. It put us off MSC which was a shame because the cruise itself was ok. Do they still do this or is it one port for everyone (e.g. like P & O )?

Hi Solent Richard

I have never sailed with the company but they did offer many cruises with a zero single supplement and did consider taking up this offer. I would like to know whether they intend to re-introduce this policy for solo cruisers.

If there are any members who would like me to seek answers, or information, to their queries while I am on board I will be delighted to do so.

Would appreciate a photo of the main dance floor.

Personal invite Dickie ? or is it a Pay to visit for lunch with an agent with many others !

If its a pay to visit which I am sure it will be, As you have already informed the forum in May that you were visiting the ship and this had been arranged by the same company as the QE visit,  do MSC still knock off the cost of lunch if you book a cruise within a certain time?

We did a week on MSC Melody from Genoa in 2000 & one on MSC Rhapsody from Venice in 2001. They both had passengers embarking & leaving at every port that we stopped at so that it kind of resembled an upmarket ferry service. It put us off MSC which was a shame because the cruise itself was ok. Do they still do this or is it one port for everyone (e.g. like P & O )?

Southampton was not a changeover port on yesterday's visit 2Torts. 

The Splendida was sailing full between Hamburg and Genoa. Southampton. Southhampton had been scheduled as her second port of call but this was switched the day before due to the fact she could not get into Le Havre.

Due to the variety of ship's excursions from Southampton the ship was relatively empty for our visit.

Hi Solent Richard

I have never sailed with the company but they did offer many cruises with a zero single supplement and did consider taking up this offer. I would like to know whether they intend to re-introduce this policy for solo cruisers.

Good morning Land Ahoy.

My MSC host yesterday was one of the London Head Office PR Executives.

All I could glean from her on your question was that these matters are 'Commercial' decisions made from time to time.

I guess that was cruise line speak for... 'when we can't sell to couples'.

Land Ahoy likes this

Good morning Land Ahoy.

My MSC host yesterday was one of the London Head Office PR Executives.

All I could glean from her on your question was that these matters are 'Commercial' decisions made from time to time.

I guess that was cruise line speak for... 'when we can't sell to couples'.

HI  Thanks for taking your time to ask this question.  I think your interpretation of this answer is correct. 

Would appreciate a photo of the main dance floor.

Good morning Wheels.

I asked your question and was informed there are two dance venues.

If one accepts that the largest is 'the main' then it had to be the 'Club 33 Disco' on 16 Deck. here is a photograph I took for you...

21271117590_601d6818b4_z.jpg

...and the other areas of the Disco...

21272257879_c68d2b2acb_z.jpg

21448197072_7714b66519_z.jpg

The other dance floor, and incidentally the one that impressed me more, was in the interestingly named 'Aft Lounge'...

21459151365_c50bbbf095_z.jpg

21271332148_1544ea6ed4_z.jpg

Definitely more my style. I could certainly manage a quickstep around that space. It had both a DJ Booth and a curtained stage area where a band played.

In my opinion it also had superior seating areas...

21271119070_d940ba760c_z.jpg

Hope that helps.

Although as Richard says there are 2 'Dance Areas' there are actually more than 2 areas where you can dance. Many of the lounges have set ups for small groups and bands and I experienced this when I cruised on Splendida last year.

To answer 2torts question. When the ships are based in the Mediterranean they have a home port to which they return after each cruise but because they do the same cruise itinerary every time they have other ports on route from where they embark and disembark passengers, usually in Spain. I think to call them an upmarket ferry is a bit unkind. 

Land Ahoy, no single supplement, as Richard says this is a commercial decision and the best thing to do is either speak with Bolsover or the MSC call centre when you determine which cruises you are interested in.

I thought yesterdays visit was an example of how well MSC do their ship visits. Unlike many I have done MSC supply a continuous supply of drinks and canapés during the welcome speech. It was then groups of 12 hosted by MSC staff and someone representing the organising company. Lunch with an 'Up To' 7 course affair was excellent with a choice of red or white wine which never seem to run out together with still or sparkling water. MSC really do excel with their fish and seafood dishes. I thought it was an excellent day and one of the most enjoyable I have been invited to host.

wheels36, Land Ahoy and DavidH like this

Interesting insight into MSC gentlemen and much appreciated. I often keep a close eye on their movements these days as I become more and more intrigued by the prospect of taking a cruise with them. I feel they have come on leaps and bounds in recent years and seem to be making significant developments to their on board style and service. They're definitely one I'll continue to keep my eye on, perhaps for 2017.

The menu certainly seems to have improved a lot - it looks wonderful. When we went the dessert menu every night was a choice of cake or ice cream although after the 1st night our table steward always gave us all cake and ice cream.

I thought yesterdays visit was an example of how well MSC do their ship visits. Unlike many I have done MSC supply a continuous supply of drinks and canapés during the welcome speech. It was then groups of 12 hosted by MSC staff and someone representing the organising company. Lunch with an 'Up To' 7 course affair was excellent with a choice of red or white wine which never seem to run out together with still or sparkling water. MSC really do excel with their fish and seafood dishes. I thought it was an excellent day and one of the most enjoyable I have been invited to host.

I can entirely agree with you there OldWorldTraveller.

Four glasses of champagne and some delightful pizza style canapés, one wondered if we'd ever get to see the ship. laugh.png

Then a similar number of wines, three white with the fish courses and a red to accompany the cheese.

A big thank you to Solent Barbara who acted as chauffeur home. biggrin.png

Picking up on the header I wonder if anyone has cruised on the Armonia [better still if fairly recently] -we would love to re-visit Havana and I know it features in a 16 day cruise onboard this ship. I'm feeling a little uncertain having read a few reviews vis Google.