Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Solent Richard

Msc Splendida - The Day Visit.

29 posts in this topic

Yesterday my wife and I visited MSC Splendida in Southampton. She was one of four cruise ships in yesterday.

20838073163_643af1100e_z.jpg

From the moment we arrived onboard the signature of MSC was evident - GLITZ...

21271331558_0f880aa809_z.jpg

21271331478_94dd2da09c_z.jpg

Right down to the stairways in the Atrium...

20838071933_a0b7914a95_z.jpg

Glitz...

21271329288_b10fded1e3_z.jpg

Behind all that glitz though are some great venues which I have to admit would appeal to me...

The Strand Theatre

20836471014_d09fe20336_z.jpg

La Prua Piano Bar

20836472694_0b5f6f5849_z.jpg

L'Enoteca Wine Bar

21432944056_dc4bffe84d_z.jpg

...and The Purple Wine Bar

20838073303_edbb78cd68_z.jpg

Of course, with the exception of the Theatre one would have to spend money in those other venues.

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Good food is always essential and I place great store in a cruise ship's main dining facility. Why ever would anyone want to cruise and not experience lavish dining with sociable company?

For me MSC do a damn good job in this area. We had lunch in one of the ship's three main restaurants, The Villa Verde...

21432942446_4dbbfe5c53_z.jpg

20836471234_1fd69a4281_z.jpg

Very elegant and an excellent choice of menu for lunch...

21459148965_bcc6d240fc_z.jpg

20838073583_b5386497d0_z.jpg

I chose the Cuttlefish Salad...

21467728061_be724f7272_z.jpg

...and the Baked Cod

21271330258_af70b3c4ef_z.jpg

Followed by a selection of Italian cheeses...

20838073713_194faaf48d_z.jpg

An excellent lunch washed down copious quantities of Italian wines and sparkling water.

Footnote: I'm not a great lover of cheese being presented pre-sliced but I must say that yesterday this cheese was superb, moist and very flavoursome. Typically Italian, eaten with a knife and fork, no biscuits in site. 

All that food talk, time for breakfast at Solent Towers. More to come.

Hi SR,

Looks pretty impressive.  Might have to open my mind a little as we have always dismissed MSC out of hand ever since we encountered crowds of very noisy people disembarking one of their ships in Madeira some years ago - which is a somewhat unfair, I guess.

DavidH

Matilda_1 likes this

Certainly impressive for a mass market  cruise line. I am looking forward to your pictures of the staterooms.

Each one of the Crystal steps cost 33,000 Euro.

Good morning OWT.

Thanks for reminding me of that figure.

I remember you telling me at the top of the staircase but all that Champagne and wine had kind of clouded the memory.

biggrin.png biggrin.png  

Thank you Richard for once more providing us with fabulous photos and sharing your experience with the forum. You are lucky to be able to do these ship's visits and it is great that members get an insight into ships they are not familiar with.

Matilda_1 likes this

Thank you Richard for once more providing us with fabulous photos and sharing your experience with the forum. You are lucky to be able to do these ship's visits and it is great that members get an insight into ships they are not familiar with.

Ships visits Fudge are open to anyone if you know where to find them. They vary in price depending on the cruise line. This year I have hosted visits on Cunard, Holland America as well as MSC.I would suggest you contact the PR/Marketing Depts. of the cruise lines to see what they offer.

OWT

pennbank likes this

OWT, thank you for that information. It has been a few years since I last cruised and for some reason I thought it was something to do with having an extensive amount of cruising under one's belt and cruise lines offer the opportunity to visit to a new ship accordingly so that you will be tempted to book a cruise on that ship. Completely off beam there wasn't I? In any case, we live too far away to go to such a short event. It's great though to be able to have a look around and sample the food and take photos of a new ship for your own, and others' interest.

Only if you match them to your mini-skirt, wheels!! wink.png

OK, we can stick to the mini skirt theme.

A "gender neutral" 20 stone person in "high heels" restricted by a tight skirt slips and hits the step with force, slipping and scraping the step. Could the "concierge" do his/her duty and enquire about the well being of the injured person, without first checking out the damage to the 33,000 euro step.

I think not.

DavidH likes this

They vary in price depending on the cruise line

So may I ask how much did MSC charge for this Splendida visit?

There were a number of what I would call 'gimmicky' spots on the ship.

These included in 'The Virtual World', a 4D Cinema...

21432944446_98990d0071_z.jpg

The Formula 1 Test Drive...

20838074543_025680b2d3_z.jpg

and in the excellent 'Sports Bar' a Bowling Alley...

21432942976_14fc104859_z.jpg

The first two I have mentioned come at a price...

21271115240_2cfc4c5f36_z.jpg

We should not forget that on Splendida there is actually a ship within a ship. 

Where Cunard has the 'Grills', MSC has the 'Yacht Club'.

It's just that MSC take the exclusion of non Yacht Club passengers way beyond Cunard.

Probably the only way I would consider sailing with MSC.

21467729841_c0c783da9d_z.jpg