Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Cruise Styles - Cruise Lines Which Meet Your Wishes But Haven't Tried

11 posts in this topic

Hi   There plenty of niche cruise lines as well as the larger "corporate lines".  Having researched some of these I think many of these would be a good match for meeting my expectations but as yet haven't tried them.  I like to attend educational guest lectures rather than "sale's promotions" given by the Spa and as such I think that Swan Hellenic, Saga and Voyages of Discovery would be appropriate but I have only sailed with the former.  Others I would like to try are Oceania and Regent but as I am now a single cruiser I refuse to pay their !00% supplement.  Is there any cruise line you think would meet the style of cruise you wish to experience but haven't tried and why?

wheels36 likes this

Well I'm trying Scenic River cruises next year after a recommendation by OldWorldTraveller.

With my next four cruises booked, all on ships I've not yet sailed on,  I think I'm breaking enough new boundaries for the moment.

I will try your favourite one day though (Azamara ?) Land Ahoy, its just that their itineraries don't always appeal.

That leaves Seabourn and Crystal. Hmmmmn

Land Ahoy likes this

Hi   There plenty of niche cruise lines as well as the larger "corporate lines".  Having researched some of these I think many of these would be a good match for meeting my expectations but as yet haven't tried them.  I like to attend educational guest lectures rather than "sale's promotions" given by the Spa and as such I think that Swan Hellenic, Saga and Voyages of Discovery would be appropriate but I have only sailed with the former.  Others I would like to try are Oceania and Regent but as I am now a single cruiser I refuse to pay their !00% supplement.  If their any cruise line you think would meet the style of cruise you wish to experience but haven't tried and why?

I thought that Fred Olsen had quite a good balance on guest lecturers with a "heavy" but well attended "History of the Universe", balanced by Don Reid reminiscing on the famous comedians he had worked with.

Land Ahoy likes this

Well I'm trying Scenic River cruises next year after a recommendation by OldWorldTraveller.

With my next four cruises booked, all on ships I've not yet sailed on,  I think I'm breaking enough new boundaries for the moment.

I will try your favourite one day though (Azamara ?) Land Ahoy, its just that their itineraries don't always appeal.

That leaves Seabourn and Crystal. Hmmmmn

Hi  Solent Richard

Yes I do rate Azamara highly for outstanding value for money but I wouldn't say it was my favourite cruise line.  I would recommend you try Crystal, the food presented is outstanding but from many of your posts I think you prefer spacious accommodation but the normal balcony cabins are very small compared to the other 6 star cruise lines (I have no idea what size the more expensive suites are).  On balance I would say may favourite cruise line is Silversea, the food is extremely good  (not quite as good as that served by Crystal) but the service is more attentive and the suites larger but I would happily sail on both.  

PS I would also like to try Seadream Yacht Club and the novelty of either Windstar or Royal Clipper, sailing under canvas is appealing.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I thought that Fred Olsen had quite a good balance on guest lecturers with a "heavy" but well attended "History of the Universe", balanced by Don Reid reminiscing on the famous comedians he had worked with.

Hi wheels36

I agree that Fred Olsen, Cunard et al do have good guest lecturers but I have already experienced these cruise lines the theme was more about cruise lines which I still haven't sailed with but which would probably meet my expectations.​

Hi LA,

Having experienced Scenic's organisation and quality on a month's land tour of Australia in 2014, we are also keen to try their River Cruise ships.  Recently received a video snippet from them of their upcoming TV advert.  All their marketing material is impressive.  Just hope their on board experience matches the hype when we eventually get round to it.

DavidH

Seabourn would top my list for this topic of conversation. I love everything that I see from them and would love to one day give them a try. From the itineraries to the style of the ships, they certainly appeal to me.

As I regularly receive info from Crystal and have a friend who uses them regularly he is always singing their praises for single occupancy as the supplement he pays is considerably lower than some of the other 6 star lines

Hi LA,

Having experienced Scenic's organisation and quality on a month's land tour of Australia in 2014, we are also keen to try their River Cruise ships.  Recently received a video snippet from them of their upcoming TV advert.  All their marketing material is impressive.  Just hope their on board experience matches the hype when we eventually get round to it.

DavidH

Hi David, here is a link to Your Holiday TV where I found a review of the Scenic Jasper that may whet your appetite.

http://www.yourholidaytv.co.uk/

DavidH likes this

Hi OWT,

Thanks for the link.  The combination of the reviewer's video, his written review and the official Scenic film have most certainly confirmed that this line will be the right choice for my wife and I when we get round to booking a river cruise.  Much appreciated.

DavidH

Oldworldtraveller likes this