Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

#winewednesday Your Midweek Tipple

34 posts in this topic

Half way through the working week is fast being recognised as #WineWednesday, but few of us are concierges, so how do chose a “Nice Drop” amongst the vast varieties on offer?

When I was on board the #Britannia I was surprised by my partner who doesn’t  drink wine, took a liking to their Bon Viveur White.  On returning a Tweet was sent to @jollyolly (Olly Smith) who advised me to try a Marks and Spencer Saint Mont which did the trick. 

Can you offer any good recommendations or insider tips.

wheels36 likes this

Wine taste is a very personal thing. Over the years people have come to me and said they hate wine. It is just that they have not found a wine to their taste. A few years ago when I was working I was often challenged to find a wine for a wine hater. A chat about tastes and likes and dislikes and they were soon a wine drinker.It is quite amusing when a big tough northern lad gets hooked on Rose. My youngest son was a wine hater and it took some trying to get him to taste a wine. He is not a big wine drinker but loves a glass of Sancerre. I usually only drink wine with food usually preferring a G+T before dinner and a cognac afterwards.

RiverSong likes this

Hi  It's Champion's League Wednesday.  Watch the match live with a  few beers or malt whisky, that's a football fan's solution to your query. 

You're on the same wave lengh as my partner, but he likes a Sailor Jerry

Hi  It's Champion's League Wednesday.  Watch the match live with a  few beers or malt whisky, that's a football fan's solution to your query. 

I couldn't agree with Land Ahoy more. Now that the beautiful sound of the Champions League theme music is back on the box, it has to be a beer or two for the game. On a none European football evening however, I'm a firm fan of a good red. Just returned from the Algarve and sampled a few fantastic wines out there. My knowledge of Portuguese wine had previously been limited but there were some great selections out there, particularly Esporao Reserva but I discovered most of my tastes leaned towards the Alentejo region. Much like Riversong, I too have dropped Mr Olly Smith a line on social media to see what else he could recommend from that region.

I has a lovely bottle of Puglia red as part of an M&S £10.00 deal. The bottle shoukd have been £7 so it tasted even better. Can recommend it if you want a lighter red.

Not sure which part of Puglia would offer a "lighter red"???

I recently read elsewhere that some ex-pats in Spain can buy a bottle of Spanish wine for a €uro.

I prefer vinegar on my chips. laugh.png laugh.png

At that level of consumption .... most would consider that they had a problem .... well at least their families would!

Drinkaware or selfaware  - neither methinks!

At that level of consumption .... most would consider that they had a problem .... well at least their families would!

Drinkaware or selfaware  - neither methinks!

Good morning. 

Good to see you up early today. I spotted you looking at my profile yesterday and was expecting a visit. wink.png

Wine has some wonderful health associated properties not to mention the red meat consumption...

21495511632_71d303b303_z.jpg

Hasn't done me too badly to date and still some time to go to my 70th birthday. laugh.png laugh.png

Good morning. 

Good to see you up early today. I spotted you looking at my profile yesterday and was expecting a visit. wink.png

Wine has some wonderful health associated properties not to mention the red meat consumption...

Hasn't done me too badly to date and still some time to go to my 70th birthday. laugh.png laugh.png

Good morning. 

PS. British meat that. Proud to support British farmers.

Now we're talking Richard. I'm with Land Ahoy for Champions League nights but with a good steak and pretty much any other meal, it has to be a red.

After returning from Portugal, I'm currently enjoying a fair few bottles of Esporao Reserva but I've also got a taste for Errazuriz Merlot at the moment.

I'd recommend both: 

http://goo.gl/O1eeQw

https://www.majestic.co.uk/Errazuriz-Estate-Series-Merlot-zid39244

still some time to my 70th birthday..................

Can only be a maximum of 104 days......................................wink.png

I am really a novice when it comes to drinking red wine as to me it always tasted like vinegar!

Maybe buying the cheapest in the shop was the reason!?

I did have a 'few' glasses of this last night, (yes it wasn't Wednesday) and it went down very well!
Will def be buying it again!

This was very smooth with a nice fruit taste, I don't like dry tasting wine, the fruitier the better!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Captain Kidd II and wheels36 like this

I am really a novice when it comes to drinking red wine as to me it always tasted like vinegar!

I did have a 'few' glasses of this last night, (yes it wasn't Wednesday) and it went down very well!

This was very smooth with a nice fruit taste, I don't like dry tasting wine, the fruitier the better!

Try to buy New World wines (Australia/ California) And look for a Grenache or an old vines Zinfandel in Reds -they tend to be rich and smooth and not dry and are quite a safe option for your taste. You will also sound quite knowledgeable if you order these in the ships dining room as they are not widely known. Ravenswood Lodi old vines Zinfandel is very nice and sold on some ships but can't remember which.

J-Dog likes this

If you think that wine tastes like vinegar you should think yourself lucky, and not get hooked.

In the 70s we consumed about one bottle a week, then went on holiday with friends who were into wine and from there it was a bottle a night, soon becoming two bottles a night.

Not only that but the more you drink the more expensive your tastes get.

Now we only open a bottle on alternate nights, bit it's not easy.

Captain Kidd II likes this