Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

gary007

Queen Victoria - Poor Entertainment & Rude Entertainment Staff

9 posts in this topic

Having experienced various other cruise lines including Princess and P&O a number of times, we thought we should try Cunard. My wife and I and another couple booked a 2 week cruise in the Summer on the Queen Victoria. In general we enjoyed it , but the entertainment was poor and one of the members of the entertainment staff was rude to us when we asked why the masked ball finished just as we got there after we had just finished dinner. She broke about 5 of Cunard's 12 ‘rules’ during that conversation and frankly we were all shocked at how we were spoken to. The shows were well below the standard we are used to seeing on a cruise ship and some of the guest entertainers were particularly weak. One comedian was the worst I have ever seen and the speakers/lectures on the Queen Victoria were boring. So overall it was a disappointing experience and as far as we and our friends were concerned (and others we heard discussing the same issues) we don't plan to repeat the experience with Cunard. By the way, we also didn't get the full amount of online credit that we expected, based on initial conversations with Bolsover and the fact that we paid the full cruise price during Cunard's 175th Anniversary year. 

Having experienced various other cruise lines including Princess and P&O a number of times, we thought we should try Cunard. My wife and I and another couple booked a 2 week cruise in the Summer on the Queen Victoria. In general we enjoyed it , but the entertainment was poor and one of the members of the entertainment staff was rude to us when we asked why the masked ball finished just as we got there after we had just finished dinner. She broke about 5 of Cunard's 12 ‘rules’ during that conversation and frankly we were all shocked at how we were spoken to. The shows were well below the standard we are used to seeing on a cruise ship and some of the guest entertainers were particularly weak. One comedian was the worst I have ever seen and the speakers/lectures on the Queen Victoria were boring. So overall it was a disappointing experience and as far as we and our friends were concerned (and others we heard discussing the same issues) we don't plan to repeat the experience with Cunard. By the way, we also didn't get the full amount of online credit that we expected, based on initial conversations with Bolsover and the fact that we paid the full cruise price during Cunard's 175th Anniversary year. 

Hello gary007.I was very sorry to read about your bad experience on board Queen Victoria.As regular Cunarders I suppose I am biased,we have never had anything other than first class service.What allways concerns me when I read reports like yours,and I most certainly hope I do not come over as rude,is,did you do anything about it at the time or just moaned to yourselves and your companions.If you had made it known to the relevant people this member of staff would certainly have been in trouble and you would have received an appology.Shows, I think are like food they are very subjective.We have just got of the Queen Elizabeth,16 nights,and we only went in the theatre twice.The two comedians we saw in my oppinion were poor.Others were laughing out loud,so they appealed to them which is good.

Rodger

I have sailed twice on Victoria, once in the winter to New York and secondly to the Caribbean and back. They were both wonderful experiences. Sorry that you both of you and your friends were so unhappy with your first cruise with Cunard.

A bad experience can leave you disgruntled and it was a shame that it was not resolved at the time. I wonder why the masked ball finished so early? The dancing goes on till quite late. Was it that the judging of the best masquerader was done just as you arrived from second sitting dinner? Everyone gathers and it is standing room only for the professional dancers display dance.

Comedy, everyone to their own. This is always "hit and miss". Just like the television at home. The joy of a cruise is that there are always so many alternatives on offer, and I have often found that it is difficult to choose, quiz, music, show or as in summer that lovely evening stroll on deck.

Mentioning summer cruising from the UK, I have always cruised in winter. Is there any difference in the quality of entertainment in summer cruises to the Med. etc. as opposed to the winter months.  

By the way, we also didn't get the full amount of online credit that we expected, based on initial conversations with Bolsover and the fact that we paid the full cruise price during Cunard's 175th Anniversary year. 

Did you discuss this with them, if you didn't get something you were entitled to then you should take it further, or were you expecting more than you should have

Hello.Can some one please explain to me why it is that people moan after the event.Surely it does not matter whether it is High Street service or a Cruise.Sort it out at the time.

Later is too late and in my mind just silly.

Rodger.

hturtle likes this