Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JanLol

Thinking Of Cruising/ First Timers

9 posts in this topic

We are thinking of cruising to New Zealand with our 17 year old grandaughter but have so many questions to ask the experts as first timers. Yes I know it would be a baptism of fire.

Can we book part of a cruise ?E.G.  UK to NZ on a world cruise, then pick it up again to come back next time round? What cabins are available for three as the suites are very expensive & my grandaughter gets very nervous. Would we have to book a double & single cabin as that would mean my husband taking the single & splitting us up. Will I get seasick as not too good on a boat? 

These questions are just a start.

JanLol likes this

Hi  World cruises only sail in the winter months so travelling to New Zealand from the UK would be limited to these times.  Yes you can book cruise segments so you can reduce the number of sea days but the next sailing back to the UK may be twelve months after your disembarkation.  Another alternative would be to fly to Australia and use one of the ships departing from this country which includes a voyage to New Zealand.  Of course you could sail to Australia/New Zealand and fly back or vice versa.  Single cabins are expensive probably the same as two passengers sharing, I know some passengers have booked a suite with a totally separate bedroom and third passenger sleeps in the living area.  Big ships are quite stable but if the seas are rough some but not all passengers can feel seasick, if you prone to any form of motion sickness you could feel unwell.

JanLol likes this

Welcome to the forum, and I am sure that you will have some good advice coming from those who have done a world cruise.

However, a shorter cruise first would probably be very beneficial in determining your likes and dislikes before making the bigger commitment.

JanLol likes this

Hello, it all depends on the itineraries the world cruises are doing. You may be lucky and find one sails down then another sails back after, but it may only leave you a day or two in New Zealand. You can get a 3 berth cabin (inside/outside/balcony) often they have a bunk bed, sometimes you can get a sofa bed but these are usually in the deluxe balconies which aren't on every ship. I shared an inside cabin with my parents when I was 19 for 3 weeks, it was a little cramped but for the money we saved it was a no brainer for us.

JanLol likes this

Hi JanLol and welcome to the forum. Sailing to New Zealand is not just restricted world cruises. The large freighters and container ships carry up to 75 passengers in some luxury. There are companies that can check sailings and handle bookings. I don't think Bolsover cover these types of voyages so here is a link to one company that does.

http://www.freightervoyages.eu/index.htm

JanLol and wheels36 like this

JanLol - personally I would not take this trip by ship if it is your first cruise. The waether cannot be guaranteed so you may well be seasick. It may also be too much for your granddaughter to spend so many days at sea if she has not travelled this way before. Take a shorter cruise first to see if you like it.

Oldworldtraveller and JanLol like this

Hello,I could not agree more with Captain Kidd,in my oppinion sound words.

I did not know about the freighters Oldworldtraveller,some of them look very nice.

Rodger.

Agree with some of the above, not sure this is the right choice for a first time cruise. Perhaps test the waters (excuse the pun) with a few shorter duration options first and then go on from there.

RobBar likes this

With a 17 year old granddaughter you want to ensure she is not bored on  a long cruise. If the idea is to go from UK to NZ, you might want to shorten the trip depending on time of year . An option is take QM2 to NY, spend some time in NY and some other cities, pick up a repositioning cruise from Vancouver / Los Angeles / San Fran that goes to NZ normally around September . Coming back you might have to spend a month for ship returning ... Depends on the main objective

Yes, you can pickup a World Cruise that does that section from UK, it would be about 30-50 days depending on route., normally early January

As to cabin,, price it out but you can get a large cabin for three as long as you like each others company smile.png

All the best in your plans