Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bolsover Cruise Club

Which Clever Booker Are You?

28 posts in this topic

Hi  I am now a single cruiser and will book either late or early depending whether the cruise line offers good deals at either time.  I have booked a river cruise for next year; 14 months before departure as the boat had two cabins offering no supplement and one was already taken for the date I wished to sail.  My next cruise was a late deal again offering a zero supplement but you had to select a higher grade cabin to be eligible for the offer.  So I can be a Bob or Lesley possibly a Bobley!

Hi  I am now a single cruiser and will book either late or early depending whether the cruise line offers good deals at either time.  I have booked a river cruise for next time 14 months before departure as the boat had two cabins offering no supplement and one was already taken for the date I wished to sail.  My next cruise was a late deal again offering a zero supplement but you had to select a higher grade cabin to be eligible for the offer.  So I can be a Bob or Lesley possibly a Bobley!

Ha I'm definitely Bobley too Land Ahoy! As a single traveller, or whether holidaying with friends or family, it's all about circumstance. If I have the money and I see I bargain i'll go for it, or if i'm trying to plan a trip to coincide with friends i'll book way in advance if needs be.

I am definitely a last minute Lesley, I don't mind where I am on the ship and can adapt to any of the dining options. I mainly book late because I am impatient and soon as something is booked I want to go straight away!! Don't like a long wait as I end up wishing away the months.

In Jan 2000 (remember Y2K) we had to wait to see if the world was going to end since Rita worked for our County Sheriff Dept and was on call for the pending calamity. Once it was realized we would all survive we booked a cruise 10 days out to celebrate our third anniversary. It was a challenge to find the right ship which we did but not at a bargain price!

Yesterday we just booked our NYE 2017 cruise on the NCL Dream out of New Orleans. This is our longest yet. As of today the cruise is 464 days out. We did get a 4 category upgrade and some on board credit so maybe this one can be deemed clever. I guess that makes us both as in Bob & Lesley!

It isn't that often that the singles get a good late deal…… I must admit to keeping an eye on several cruises to see which ones come out cheaper but if it is something that I really want to do or to make sure that I have a holiday booked then I will book earlier.

I guess I am a LeyBob… half and half… 

Used to be named Bob but now I am named Lesley that is worrying but dont tell the wife ph34r.png . I am sure cruise companies and TAs would love us all to be called Bob because the more we pay for our cruises the more money they make.

Tally likes this

I'm a bob..mostly.

my booking for feb 2017 has nothing to do with the cost..it was purely ..that I have waited so very long to get another cruised booked..when I got the ok time wise from my OH there was no holding me back !!!

I did want to get a decent choice of cabin though..which I am happy with.

I don't do last minute anything really.. I like to be in control..lol

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Let me ask a question. Does it really matter where your cabin is situated as long as it is not subjected to noise? The exception is probably if you want an aft balcony which on many ships have the largest balconies and the best views but apart from that I would suggest it doesn't matter so why not book late and save enough for another cruise. Remember ships rarely sail full so getting a cabin is not a problem. Just my personal opinion of course.

wheels36 and Land Ahoy like this

Let me ask a question. Does it really matter where your cabin is situated as long as it is not subjected to noise? The exception is probably if you want an aft balcony which on many ships have the largest balconies and the best views but apart from that I would suggest it doesn't matter so why not book late and save enough for another cruise. Remember ships rarely sail full so getting a cabin is not a problem. Just my personal opinion of course.

Personally I agree with you OWT. I fluctuate between booking early and late depending on the holiday type, people who I might be travelling with and other circumstances involved but on a cruise I am usually happy to roll the dice and see where I find myself on board. I didn't used to be that way however and I think this is far easier to get your head around when you are a seasoned cruiser. If you are new to cruising then cabin position could be something that plays on your mind. Seasickness concerns are regular topics of conversation I overhear from new to cruise passengers on board as well as being near to certain locations on board. For me, I agree, but for many, the cabin position is pivotal, as is the dining choice, therefore booking early, although it might be at a higher price, it does give more peace of mind for these types of concerns.

A thought, if the best place to be in rough seas is the centre of the ship why are show theatres at the front of the ship and many restaurants at the stern. Mmmmmmmmm, funny old world.

If they put the theatre in the centre of the ship, they could only avoid structural columns by spending much more money on the superstructure steelwork.

A thought, if the best place to be in rough seas is the centre of the ship why are show theatres at the front of the ship and many restaurants at the stern. Mmmmmmmmm, funny old world.