Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juliebsb

Celebrity Cruises-Too Money Obsessed?

3 posts in this topic

I have just returned from A celebrity cruise on the Silhouette to the med. It was good but we noticed small differences to the Celebrity cruise we had only 2 years ago. Although the buffet restaurant was still excellent, the dining room experience wasn't as good in either food quality or portion size. I know this could be down to the chef on each ship, but also the staff didn't interact as much{ little time with more passengers to look after?) Everything was aimed at pushing sales if not a new cruise, the tours which were very expensive. Also, we felt that Celebrity were a little economic with info regarding getting to the ports by your own steam. In Marseille, for instance, they said you should get their shuttle to the town at $20 per person when we walked to the gate and got the local bus at a couple of euros. They also exaggerated how far walking would take or how infrequent buses were.

A prime example of cost cutting was our 2nd day at sea. We left Corsica at 5pm with the next day at sea and the next port Livorno. We were actually anchored at sea at the other end of Corsica for the whole day, which was infuriating as we could have either stayed overnight in Corsica or gone to a further port. Of course, port fees would come into it and also, at sea passengers spend more but the cruise is expensive enough and this left a bitter taste, We may be trying another cruise line, and would like some advise on cruise lines for Australia and Fiji, Bora Bora etc.......

This post has caused me to wobble a little as to booking Celebrity, particularly if there was no valid reason for the Corsica issue.

The port issues reminded me of the P&O "take a tour" advice for Olden, as anyone on a fjords cruise who enjoys walking will have little need of a coach journey to view a fading glacier.