Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bolsover Cruise Club

Ten Foods Brits Miss Most When Abroad

28 posts in this topic

You can't beat that feeling of escaping everyday life when going on holiday, discovering new places and dining out. But, if we're honest many of us miss our home comforts after a while, so we've decided to compile a list of the top 10 foods Brits miss the most when abroad...

Click here to see the Top 10 Foods & see if yours is on there! >

English%20Sausage%20Sandwich%20.jpg

J-Dog and kerry304 like this

Hi  I have just checked the list and none of the items mentioned are absent on the menus of most cruise lines.  In truth I never miss my "staple" diet while cruising, the chefs on board are more skilled than I am.  It's always nice to experience new dishes or ones which are too time consuming to consider baking at home.

I think the gyst is Land Ahoy that whilst cruising we're spoilt with top notch cuisine and more exotic dishes we don't tend to have on a daily basis at home, therefore by the end of our cruise we may be craving the more simpler foods in our diet like good old beans on toast #justsaying

Not necessarily true of cruises but if you were to travel on a land based holiday somewhere where these foods aren't as widely available then yes i would miss 'proper' bacon first and foremost!

P.S this picture is making me hungry!

J-Dog likes this

We don't miss any foods when abroad -much prefer to eat local. When the boys were younger we traveled to France self catering. Overheard with great amusement the English family next door telling their children. 'no point asking the boys next door to play, they are foreign and won't understand'  We didn't pop to the local burger van for meals, I cooked with fresh local products -it would have been such a shame not to use the beautiful range cooker.

Land Ahoy likes this

After just spending 5 nights in the states, im totally with you on the bacon one!! x

Next time come to Canada - we have American bacon, but Canadian bacon is widely available, just like British but cut a little thicker.  Delicious with HP sauce, we get that too.  In fact most of the items mentioned are available, apart from a good Sunday lunch.  We will be heading to UK next week and I am looking forward to Sunday lunch in my son's local, and the following Sunday in Halifax area with my niece.

JH327 likes this

We are fortunate enough to holiday in nice places with many options for good food but after a two week stint the things we crave are properly cooked scrambled eggs, our own brand of coffee and a home cooked Sunday lunch with lots of nice vegetables and home made Yorkies !

GiGi

Oh yes just been away for a long weekend in a fabulous hotel abroad but a Bacon butty with slightly crispy back bacon is the best thing to come back too. As well as fish & Chips from our local,

JH327 likes this

SORRY WHEELS, no can do that is just one of lifes guilty pleasures, I couldnt substitute for the Linda Mcartney range, so much so I'm having a go at home curing instead

Have not ditched it completely, still tend to have the "English breakfast" on holiday despite the lectures from my OH on nitrates, carsogens, etc.

I don't think I miss anything. I love trying all the local food & drink.  Its part of the holiday experience, throwing yourself into the local culture.  I'm always disappointed if I've eaten "normal" food

Oldworldtraveller and J-Dog like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0