Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

rewer

River cruise through Europe

8 posts in this topic

We are planning a European river cruise of the Rhine next year and looking for recommended cruise companies from anyone who has had this experience. So far I have researched some providers like Viking (the site linked offers their lines), Grand Circle, Avalon and Tauck. All seem good with varying degrees of cost. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Hi  I have only completed three river cruises one was on the Rhine (Basle to Cologne) with three different companies (Thomson, Viking and Riviera).  Viking was probably the best but the cruise on Riviera Travel was almost as good and was cheaper.  It isn't as "inclusive" alcoholic outside meal times were extra.  The excursions on all three were very good and you would be hard pushed to separate the quality.  The food on Viking and Riviera were both top notch, however,  don't expect as wide a choice of items that you will see on an ocean cruise ship.  I have been told by a seasoned river cruise that Uniworld are probably the best provider but the prices of their cruises reflect this.  You won't go wrong booking with Viking but I would also consider Scenic as well as Riviera Travel.

Try and get to a place called Boppard, amazing little town and a castle nearby called Marksburg (the only hill castle on the Rhine never to be destroyed)

my parents have recently returned from a river cruise they booked through AmaWaterways - they enjoyed it that much they have sworn they will never book an ocean cruise again but will always travel on river cruises! Since returning - she has talked my dad into booking another for next year, as well as other relations who are excited to try this new experience!

My husband and I are due to go on our first river cruise in November on the Rhone and we are really looking forward to this. We have booked with APT but a special package that they offer called the royal collection which includes lots of added extras like home to airport transfers, freedom of choice excursions and signature experiences. If you are looking for something a little extra special and different I would look at this company.

We have on our bucket list the desire to try a river cruise but considering it takes a lot of time and costs to get to Amsterdam and such from Vancouver Island then to us a cruise make a lot of sense in terms of North America , Caribbean, Alaska, Australia.  If we have to travel over the pond then we want to spend time in UK and such

We are planning a European river cruise of the Rhine next year and looking for recommended cruise companies from anyone who has had this experience. So far I have researched some providers like Viking (the site linked offers their lines), Grand Circle, Avalon and Tauck. All seem good with varying degrees of cost. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I have regularly river cruised for the past four years choosing Viking River Cruises as my European operator.

They offer an excellent all round service and the quality of their excursions has always been outstanding.

14791006294_0f947b680b_z.jpg

I've done the Danube, The Elbe, The Douro and shortly the Rhone

8856276492_59214cb020_z.jpg

14793359935_86ee954230_z.jpg

I have, however, decided to give Scenic River Cruises a try next year when I will sail the  Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers.

Variety is the spice of life. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a good time.

RobBar likes this