Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wanderlust

Ventura Christmas mini-cruise

29 posts in this topic

I am going on the ventura in december for 4 nights, does anyone know if this will include a formal night? and has anyone visited amsterdam on a cruise for the day before? I love Amsterdam and am really looking forward to spending the day there - just wondering how far the dock is from the city centre?

Hi wanderlust. We are on that mini cruise too. The itinerary says arrive Amsterdam early morning 31st Dec, depart early morning 1st Jan. I am guessing formal night will be New Year's Eve in Amsterdam. Not been to this city before, but my daughter was on Ventura earlier in the year when it docked there and she said it was a very easy walk to the city centre. And a very interesting passage through a lock. Hope you enjoy.

nick1310 likes this

Hi kite63 - that sounds a lovely break over the new year. I am on it the week before xmas 13-17th december. I'm looking forward to seeing the city looking all festive and wintery! I went in March and the weather was very nice and quite warm so it will be a different experience in december!

iknowlescourier likes this

i travelled on ventura on the run up to christmas and it was all done up lovely. christmas tree's and trimmings and that was in the caribbean so would presume even more so sailing from southampton x

I love Christmas markets! I went to Amsterdam at the beginning of December last year and we stumbled upon a Christmas market as you can imagine it was full of food smile.png. Have you planned what you're going to do in Amsterdam?

This will be the first time we have holidayed at Christmas time. Really looking forward to it, but got Anthem of the Seas 3 nighter to get excited about first! Three more sleeps lol.

Hi,

I am going on the Arcadia on a mini cruise 21st November this year.

I am going with my daughter , sister and my sisters daughter.

We are going to Amsterdam for two days then Bruges. I say two days, I think we arrive midday and next day is a full day. 

Can you walk from the ship to the main town? I am a bit confused as I have heard there is no main town in Amsterdam.

We just want coffee, cake, shopping and see anything Christmassie. I don't think the Christmas market is on till we leave.

My sister can't walk very fast, I am not sure where to go. We just want to chill out.

The Bruges day, I have had a look and its a 30 minute taxi to Bruges, in a taxi I was told 50 euro's one way ! does anyone know if this is right.

I would appreciate any help, advice anyone can give.

Sues

Hi,I am also on this mini cruise we are in Amsterdam overnight and we watched the fire work display on deck of Oceana after midnight last year.Looking forward to this mini holiday as well.

Hi,I was on a similar cruise onboard Oceana last year,it was a lovely way to see in the New year.On deck at midnight watching the fire work display taking place in Amsterdam.Am going again this year sailing on Ventura.

Looks like Ventura did not make it to Amsterdam due to 'Bad Weather" although Queen Victoria which left Southampton at same time Did.

Sounds similar to what occurred to Queen Elizabeth Just before their Christmas Cruise in 2014. That did not enter the lock and just sailed the English Channel to Plymouth and returned to Southampton a day early.

wheels36 likes this

Looks like Ventura did not make it to Amsterdam due to 'Bad Weather" although Queen Victoria which left Southampton at same time Did.

Sounds similar to what occurred to Queen Elizabeth Just before their Christmas Cruise in 2014. That did not enter the lock and just sailed the English Channel to Plymouth and returned to Southampton a day early.

No doubt there will be quite a few people who will be less than happy about missing the new year in Amsterdam.

Blaming the weather in situations such as this is not good PR, and a deeper explanation should be given.

Does Ventura have technically inferior docking control than Queen Elizabeth, or possibly a more cautious Captain, or maybe the Captain has less confidence in his crew.

Or maybe the management instructions regarding wind are more severe in P&O, or was the allocated dock not conducive to wind direction at that time.

A full explanation may appease affected cruisers, but "keeping them in the dark" will not help with regards to future bookings or the reputation of the company.