Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Tipping Trends In USA - A Change

8 posts in this topic

Hi  Here's an interesting trend occurring in New York:

Gratuities (or tipping) have always been an American ‘thing’. Whilst cruise ships of other nationalities also have automatic gratuity policies on-board it’s always been the American ones where it’s been the most obvious and received the most vocal complaints from guests. However in a bold move one New York restaurateur is looking to reverse that trend by banning tipping in all of his restaurants and paying his staff a fair wage instead. The man behind the move is Danny Meyer, who owns thirteen restaurants in New York, including The Modern. In a statement released to the press today he said that tipping is an unfair system as it only benefited a few restaurant workers. Whilst waiting staff can receive salary top ups with this method, behind the scenes staff like chefs and kitchen workers could not. “We believe hospitality is a team sport, and that it takes an entire team to provide you with the experiences you have come to expect from us,” The new policy, which will be introduced from next month, will see menu prices increase from between 25-35%; however it’s hoped most guests won’t notice a difference as this extra would have been around what they were tipping anyway. Melissa Fleischut, president and CEO of the New York State Restaurant Association, said Mr Meyer’s decision could have a ripple effect in the industry. “I think that because it is Danny Meyer and he is considered a leader in the restaurant industry, that a lot of people are going to look at this move,” she said. What are your thoughts on tipping? Do you just pay your automatic grats or do you still like to tip the staff you want to in person (or do you remove them all together)? Should cruise lines be following Danny Meyer’s example? - See more at: http://www.cruise.co.uk/news/american-company-first-to-ban-gratuities/#sthash.cuiEP1js.dpuf

If this trend is copied in other New York and other USA eateries do you think the USA dominated cruise market will follow suit and would you be happy about this.  On a personal level I would like tips to be abolished and incorporated into the boarding fare.  The cruise lines always try to present themselves as a "luxury" product but only the 6* star lines (plus a few others) incorporate tips into the boarding fare.

wheels36 likes this

I would like to see the crew get paid a fair wage & tips/gratuities not used to cover a short fall.  Saying this I can’t see the major cruise lines following suit I think they’ll keep this policy in place.

wheels36 likes this

I would like to see the Inland Revenue taking a stand against tipping in UK establishments, and cruise lines operating from the UK would have to take note, no matter where they are registered.

Nice thought Wheels36 but I would think it would be impossible for them to enforce as most of the time it is cash only, and someone deserves a tip for exemplary service then why not. I was in a restaurant at the weekend and the service was so poor I refused to tip!!

It's about changing the culture, if you do not rate a restaurant meal then do not go again.

Meanwhile the staff get paid properly, and proper taxes are paid.

Hi Not to mention that the staff will accumulate a better pension upon their retirement and it will be beneficial to the public purse strings, having not to top up their retirement benefits.

i think i would like to give my tips to the staff i think earned it. there was one occation that i had lost my wallet and one of the shore staff took me back to the departure lounge very quickly and we found it , i went to give her a tip and she said we are not allowed to take tips, but she got one anyway.

Nice thought Wheels36 but I would think it would be impossible for them to enforce as most of the time it is cash only, and someone deserves a tip for exemplary service then why not. I was in a restaurant at the weekend and the service was so poor I refused to tip!!

As is your right (good service TIP) poor service (NO TIP)