Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Burning the calories

11 posts in this topic

A joke by the Balmoral comedian involved an actor who needed to put on weight for a part, so they sent him on a cruise.

If that was true in the past then it may well be getting worse as armchairs replace dance floors (Britannia),and heavy food intake continues to be central to cruising.

Is there scope for a forward thinking cruise line to focus on more healthy eating options, and ships designed more for exercise than revenue enhancement?

I think that the facilities are already on the ship for those people who want to continue with a healthy lifestyle, and there are healthy options on the menus aswell. What ever a cruise line does, it will not stop those people who think that it is there right to gorge themselves with food at the self service or wherever and lets face it there are plenty that do, you only either have to look at them or the size of the food on their plate.

Land Ahoy and 2torts like this

Hi  Although food is available 24/7 on most cruise lines you don't have to eat it.  I know many cruisers who do put on weight during a cruise but others don't.  Healthy options are a available but from watching a few celebrity chefs I don't think they have a clue about healthy a diet. On Saturday I saw the end of a James Martin cookery programme (I turned on the TV early to watch the news) and he heaped butter, cream and an excessive amount of salt in the recipe.  If this is similar to the dishes served in his supplementary dining venues it's no wonder why passengers are inclined to put on the pounds.  Although cruise ships do have very good exercise facilities a previous thread shown that most of us on this forum don't use them although strolling around the open decks is routine.  It's simple really if you eat excessively you will put on weight, I try to eat a similar amount of food as I do at home but I do opt for dishes I don't have the skills or time to prepare.

I have to admit going on a cruise whilst on a diet, I can say it is possible to lose weight s I came home 7lbs lighter but it was really hard work and meant most evenings skipping courses or drinks, and being up at the crack of dawn to get some serious exercise in before we disembarked for the day.

So if you can shut yourself away from the rich sugar laden food you can buck the trend

Land Ahoy likes this

There are a huge number of people who seem to have the attitude of 'I've paid for it so I'm having as much as I can'. You only have to go to any local restaurant that has a carvery, the mountains of food they pile on their plates because 'they've paid for it' is disgraceful.

We were once at an All Inclusive hotel in Mexico and saw a lady come back from the breakfast buffet with two full plates of fried breakfast, I assumed she was carrying her husbands but no they were both for her!

I'll never understand that mentality but everyone to their own.....

Land Ahoy likes this

I have found by, not so careful, selection you donot have to gain weight. Over the past couple of years we have been on numerous cruises without gaining weight even though we have eaten 3 or 4 meals a day. I do have cooked breakfasts daily which are perhaps a little large but then balance out with lunch. We even have cake with coffee.

I regular checks with my doctor who is very happy that my weight has not increased.

I can't believe what some people consume on a cruise. Sitting in the Pennant Bar (now the Beach house) one day enjoying a drink and the sunshine, a woman came out of the buffet with a pyramid about 9-10 inches high of cakes on a plate. She then sat down and ate the lot. As you can imagine her rear was the not surprisingly the size of a small country.wink.png

I am not someone who piles my plate high and my rear is not the size of a small country but I'm not sure why people are so worried about what other people eat, the food is made and is going to go to waste if someone doesn't eat it. If I see someone with a mountain on their plate I think fair enough, you're on holiday. enjoy yourself!

I am not someone who piles my plate high and my rear is not the size of a small country but I'm not sure why people are so worried about what other people eat, the food is made and is going to go to waste if someone doesn't eat it. If I see someone with a mountain on their plate I think fair enough, you're on holiday. enjoy yourself!

It didn't worry me, her health is her problem, and I suppose she at least ate them all. Some people pile their plates up and leave most of it.