Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cruise chef

bruges

46 posts in this topic

The stop off point for many of the cruise ships for either the short break or longer Baltic voyages, but what does it have to offer??

The sights, the famous Belfry with its winding spiral staircase, not for the vertigo suffers or the even the unfit amongst us with over 360 steps to the top it’s great for the panoramic views of the city at 8 euros each it’s a great way to build up an appetite. Or for the culture visit many of the cities museum and religious buildings, again all tastes catered for from various forms of Art to Lace or Diamonds and if you fancy something really of the wall why not try the Potato museum (yes it does exist!)

Travel around the city is easy with guided walking tours or if you fancy putting your feet up why not take advantage of one of the many horse drawn carriages which trot their way around the cobbled stone streets.

Shopping is easy also, with all the shops and markets leading from the main square, from the usual tourist shops which adorn any large city or holiday resort to the boutique clothes, shoes & homeware shops that will make you smile (except maybe at the price tag!)

Chocolate – Belgian of course, with shops to cater for everyone’s taste & budget. From the cheeky novelty shops to the decadent high class chocolatiers with magnificent works of art that you have to stop and admire, you may  stop off for a waffle smothered in Belgian chocolate sauce!!

And finally of course Beer, clearly something the Belgians have taken to heart. Whether it’s the beer museum or beer wall adorned with different shapes of bottles to cater for anyone’s taste. Why not try one of the hostelry’s that give you the opportunity to sample smaller measures of several beers to maybe find the one you wish to take home. At least then you will find your way back to your hotel or cruise ship!

post-36-0-23303400-1447257568_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-65049300-1447258222_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-47802200-1447258232_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-08933200-1447258242_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-18565700-1447258252_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-95164200-1447258263_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-10893000-1447258276_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-17676900-1447258290_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-72023600-1447258300_thumb.jpg

wheels36, Rum+Sun, nick1310 and 3 others like this

I love Bruges and definitely want to go back there again but this time instead of going around Easter, I’d love to go around Christmas. Climbing up the Belfort tower was an experience, a scary one at that, as the stairs are so narrow it proves much harder to get down than up, as you’re navigating your way amongst those who are making the way up the spiral staircase to the top. The views at the top are worth it though. We didn’t give the potato museum a try but we did give the chocolate museum a visit where we were given a free bar of chocolate on entry and a short chocolate making demonstration on exit. I would also recommend a boat tour on the canal, though they are only short (ours was around 20 minutes long) we found our guide to be very friendly and informative. The chocolate was amazing, and there definitely was no shortage of chocolatiers, we lost count of how many we actually went in.

I loved Bruges at xmas, went a couple of years ago when the xmas markets were on and the ice rink was there, sampled the mulled wine on one of the stalls, would have been rude not to

tj42 likes this

It's also a great place for Moules et Frites. The Belgian version of frites is more substantial than their French neighbours and all the better for that.

A place I have never been. I'd like to visit Bruges one day but I think I would want more time there than just the day. It looks a lovely place and calling in on a cruise would be nice as it would give a taster of the place but not the full feeling for the city. Big fan of the photos cruise chef, particularly the beers, which look pretty special.

They certainly were Sammy, that was my 1st 3 samples, I did have another tray too!! It was an amazing place offering a large variety of local beers and knowledgeable to, you gave her an idea of what you liked she would suggest a particular beer and from there would offer an alternative to your taste. Not the run of the mill Carling or Carlsberg!

sammy sun likes this

They certainly were Sammy, that was my 1st 3 samples, I did have another tray too!! It was an amazing place offering a large variety of local beers and knowledgeable to, you gave her an idea of what you liked she would suggest a particular beer and from there would offer an alternative to your taste. Not the run of the mill Carling or Carlsberg!

Sounds good to me!

Great thread cruise chef and one of my favourite destinations. I have been lucky enough to have been invited there several times over the last couple of years and thoroughly endorse everything you say. I would add that if you are there for several days spend one of them visiting the Battlefields and Cemeteries and another take a cruise along the canals. Go at the start of December and see all the Christmas chocolate displays, they are wonderful.

Thanks OWT, definitely something I want to do. The chocolate displays are good during the year so I bet Christmas is spectacular for them, another trip on the cards for winter sometime soon.smile.png

You dock into Zebrugge and its about 25 mins by road, although you can take the ship shuttle to blankenburge board a train whihc is about 12 mins into bruge

Usually the ship excursions are expensive for the bus